• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Playing .mkv from XBOX

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
2,340
So, I've started ripping some of my movies and .mkv file isn't recognized on my XBOX WMC.

Which is the best way to view these files from my XBOX or can you even view them?

My main PC is Win7 x64 Ultimate.
 
Forget all of that above, you want something like this: http://sentry23.googlepages.com/

This utility will re-package your H264 video in MKV containers into MP4 containers with 2.0 AAC audio (only audio supported by H264 video in MP4 containers). This method keeps the video stream intact and just changes the container and PQ is untouched.

If you want 5.1 audio, you need to re-encode your sources to WMV format.
 
Forget all of that above, you want something like this: http://sentry23.googlepages.com/

This utility will re-package your H264 video in MKV containers into MP4 containers with 2.0 AAC audio (only audio supported by H264 video in MP4 containers). This method keeps the video stream intact and just changes the container and PQ is untouched.

If you want 5.1 audio, you need to re-encode your sources to WMV format.

I too am looking for a way to set something like this up, and GOTSent looks like what I would need. The only question is with this stream from Windows Server 2008R2 to a 260 without any modification. I tried Tversity a while back and that was met with epic failure.
 
What I posted is not a streaming utility, its purely a utility for repackaging H264 streams form MKV containers into MP4 containers that the Xbox 360 can play.

You will have to look elsewhere for something to stream the media to the Xbox... Can't Windows do that?

(I don't/never will own a console)
 
You don't need to do any of that. Just follow my post and you will use WIndows 7 Media Foundation which is what you want to do.
 
From the site you linked:

Although Windows 7 maintains support for established frameworks such as DirectShow, there was no other solution for rendering content in an MKV container through the Media Foundation framework - until today!

So do get MKV file support they are suggesting installing outdated crapware like DivX?... Please... Its 2010, DivX is dead...

All Windows 7 needs is for you to register a Matroska splitter such as Haalis or Gabests and you are golden. MKV playback is beautiful in 7.

Keep in mind, MKV (Matroska) is JUST a container. You can have many types of video inside of it. The Xbox will not be able to split MKV containers so that is why you will need to repackage the video contained inside of them into an MP4 container. This leaves the video stream 100% intact.
 
Please yourself. Windows Media Foundation is today..not Directshow.

It's also new..not outdated. Also..this will allow MKV to play natively without encoding the stream to the xbox 360 extender after all..that's what the original poster asked.

I would do a little reading before you post nonsense.
 
Widows Media Foundation IS new, DivX is not... MKV's play back perfectly fine using Media Foundation and all it takes is registering a little Matroska splitter. (takes 10 seconds)

My method requires ZERO transcoding. I'm not sure you know how media containers work but demuxing the H264 stream and repackaging it does NOT transcode it.

I personally would never do that as I would never limit myself to an Xbox as my main HTPC, for for those that do, this is the easiest way and it take around a minute for a full 720p film. Thats it. AND the original MKV is left untouched.

Once again OP, don't install some bloated DivX crap, its useless.

Nonsense? lol... Post your suggestion on Doom9 and they will laugh you away. ;)
 
For my benefit please show me the source on using your method and the stream not transcoding to windows media center extenders.

Everything i've read shows that without forcing the playback to utilize Windows Media Foundation (IE utilizing the Divx MKV Tech Preview), it would be transcoded to the Windows Media Center extender, however, I may be not looking in the right areas.

Again..i'm only taking about .mkv playback on the extender as it pertains to the original posters questions and my setup.
 
I use media browser with transcode 360. no issues here and i get media browsers nice front end
 
Subtitles are an issue but MyMovies does a really nice job transcoding as well as managing metadata and the like.
 
I use media browser with transcode 360. no issues here and i get media browsers nice front end
Can you give the guide for that? I looked up the guide for that and it doesn't work which I get "Transcode Error: could not start transcoding process" for the mkv's. When I disable it, the foundation thing sucks up alot of my processing power. I used to have this working months ago before I formatted but the guide I used is gone and I can't find it again. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with the X-Box as an extender.
 
Why would you transcode at all? Just follow my post, and play them via mediabrowser or you can get the reg hack to enable viewing the MKV's in your standard Media Center Movie browser.
 
Why would you transcode at all? Just follow my post, and play them via mediabrowser or you can get the reg hack to enable viewing the MKV's in your standard Media Center Movie browser.
Because Windows Media Foundations sucks up alot of processing power contrary to Transcode 360 which worked for me in the past. I can't seem to find the guide that made it work for me.
 
From the site you linked:



So do get MKV file support they are suggesting installing outdated crapware like DivX?... Please... Its 2010, DivX is dead...

All Windows 7 needs is for you to register a Matroska splitter such as Haalis or Gabests and you are golden. MKV playback is beautiful in 7.

Keep in mind, MKV (Matroska) is JUST a container. You can have many types of video inside of it. The Xbox will not be able to split MKV containers so that is why you will need to repackage the video contained inside of them into an MP4 container. This leaves the video stream 100% intact.

This will cause MCE to convert the video on the fly and wont look good.
 
Back
Top