Playing MKV and H.264 files

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section. However, here goes: anyone know how I can play MKV and H.264 files in Windows Media Center? I have tried a couple of different things but so far, no go. (I do have it working in Windows Media Player though.)

Basically, I want to rip my own Bluray collection to my harddrive just like I have with my DVD collection.

I will let you know when I get home and check. However, I think I may not have a mkv splitter installed, would that make a difference?:confused:

Well, maybe but I installed FFDShow and Matrosako MKV Splitter with a registry file when I got home. Once I did that, it worked with sound. :) Now I just have to figure out how to get the My Movies program to recognize them.

All I ever install for playing .MKV files is:

Haali Media Splitter

Sometimes I do FFDShow depending on the setup.

I ripped Gettysburg and Cats and Dogs 2 and both play fine. However, Star Trek Nemesis is not playing any sound, any ideas why? I ripped all 3 movies in the same way.

I ripped Gettysburg and Cats and Dogs 2 and both play fine. However, Star Trek Nemesis is not playing any sound, any ideas why? I ripped all 3 movies in the same way.

Try Shark Codecs. It has Haali Media Splitter, Matrosako MKV Splitter and i believe FFDShow. I've used them ever since i switched to Windows 7 and it been able play everything through Windows media player (except for some blu-ray movies). Be sure to download the 64-bit extension if you have a 64 bit o/s

What is the primary audio track?

Try Shark Codecs. It has Haali Media Splitter, Matrosako MKV Splitter and i believe FFDShow. I've used them ever since i switched to Windows 7 and it been able play everything through Windows media player (except for some blu-ray movies). Be sure to download the 64-bit extension if you have a 64 bit o/s

I second this!

I tried the AC3 filter but that did not help. I did find though that I ripped the wrong track in the listing. Any idea how to make sure that the close captioning and the bluray menu get transferred as well or is that even possible?

This is what I use.

CCCP

It installs damn near every codec you could ever need. It think it includes Media player classic as well.

I've had people who have had issues playing files, and once I installed this it all worked.

How did ou make the mkv file? I use makemkv and sometimes I fail to select TE right audio track (or even an audio track).

How did you make the mkv file? I use makemkv and sometimes I fail to select TE right audio track (or even an audio track).

The easiest way i found to convert bluray to MKV is use DVD fab to remove the copy right protection and copy the Bluray to an ISO; then use Handbrake to convert the ISO to MKV.

Hand brake is free, but DVDfab isn't

Let's clarify this thread up a bit.

To play mkv files in WMC and WMP you really only need to do 2 things:
1) Get it to recognize .mkv file format either with a reghack or some other utility
2) Get a splitter such as Haali or LAV
3) The default microsoft codecs will handle 93% of the stuff out there just fine

I see a few posts recommending codec packs, shark / CCCP / klite... Codec packs is really not recommended as it installs so much crap that you dont even know what is going on anymore.

Codec packs used to be very important because every release group wanted to use some different encoding format to make the video looks clearer or sharper. Today the majority of video in mkv follow one or 2 different encoding and will playback fine without extra codecs.

Back