Playing files on another computer thru a net connection

SerialThriller

Limp Gawd
ok...I listen to music file by downloading them on one comp but playing them on another

The files i download from SoulSeek on comp1 work fine when played on comp2.

But the file i downloaded from eDonkey on comp1 do not play on comp2.

Any ideas about what might be going on?

thats like such a non specific question, the different programs you used don't have anything to do with the computers not being able to play the songs..

what kind of file format are they?

both mp3.

there must be some type of codec problem, but I have all neccesary codecs on comp2. btw, i forgot to mention that the files play fine on comp1 (the computer used to download the files)

Also, the error WMP gives is that the file 'cannot be acessed'

error: C00D11D2 (not that it helps a whole lot but what the hell)

edit: re-read title, i'm no help..
How are the permissions of the files/folder that eDonkey creates?

yeah...eDonkey and SoulSeek and BitTorrent all go into the same folder but yet BT and SoulSeek files work but eDonkey files do not.

Anyone?

yeah, try moving them to another shared folder, other than that, try looking up the error online

Ever thought you might have downloaded a currupt/ dummy file on eDonkey????

Also, you haven't specified if it is just one single file you can't play, or every file you download using eDonkey...

"Ever thought you might have downloaded a currupt/ dummy file on eDonkey????"

Uhhh... He already said he could play the files on the host computer.

I have the exact same problem. My girlfriend can access any file on my computer from her own, but none of the movies in my movies (avi and mpg mostly) will open in media player. It gives a cannot be accessed error. The funny thing is, she can copy the files to her hard drive okay and play them on her computer okay, AND, I am able to play them from her computer over the network. It doesn't make any sense. As far as access rights go, she has full access to my root directory and vica versa

If you are using WMP check your options... I am guessign u are using either 9 or ten.,. makje sure you have the the option "download codecs automatically" checked.. Thats why mine didnt used to work..,now it all workds fine

hope that helps

all codecs are fine, and like i have said a few times SoulSeek and BT files play fine but those downloaded with eDonkey say access denied when trying to play them in any media player.

Also, it is not just one file....but all the files downloaded thru eDonkey.

well, seems i have fixed it, but not exactly sure how. I shared the Recieved files folder itself rather than just the whole My Documents folder and it worked, then i unshared it and it still works. I also restarted.

mmm, I also reinstalled the codec pack. Well i am not exactly sure what the problem was but prolly one of these few, nontheless it is fixed.

Hmm i wonder what the problem actually was?

Wow, my girlfriend figured out the problem the same time you did. You are on the right track, the problem is that the files are nested to deeply within the shared folder. In my case just my root directory was shared, and my video files were about 5 folders deep on the drive. By moving my videos folder right to the root directory she can play the videos now. What you did was to share the acuall directory that the mp3s were in, which would also work. It's just how far away the data is from the directory that is shared.

ok this is problem on the school computers, when we share games like warcraft 3 over the network, make sure that all of your permissions are set so that any computer can access

sometimes, the folder makes it so that only admins can access files so you gotta change that to all users

- try moving it to another folder too

Back