Playing Crysis with a Quadro

DerekMecca

Limp Gawd
Ok I know the required specs aren't out for Crysis and no one has played it, but I'm sure some people have some educated openions/guesses on this.

I'm building a 3D Applications computer and am torn between the 8800 and the dollar equivalant in the Quadro series. How much of a drop in quality do you guys think I will notice with playing the game on a Quadro, vs. an 8800?

You arnt going to get an honest answer cause this is none. We have no idea how demanding this game is going to be. Educated guesses say its going to be pretty demanding cause its so detailed and gorgeous, but it may be heavily optimized and it runs very well.

I think it is going to fly on any Core2Duo with 4mb of cache. After seeing how well my E6600 performs in Supreme Commander in an 8 player match, I simply cannot imagine Crysis not running well.

The only exception might be if it uses some sort of radical next gen physics system or AI or both. Nothing I have seen in any videos looks like it is going to choke a core2duo though. I think people are overestimating the CPU power this game will require.

Crysis will, without question, be a GPU bound game. The real issue is whether there is a single graphics card solution on the market that will be able to handle it at high resolutions, anti-aliasing, and settings.

I think if Crysis is going to drive us nuts it will be because it might make 8800GTX users want to upgrade again, either to SLI or to whatever comes out next. But I don't think Core2Duo users will be left behind.

Um, Crytec stated that this game will not be able to be run at highest settings with the current hardware. They have made it so it will be years before it can be run at ultra settings. However, a Conroe/8800GTX PC will run the hell out of the game so no worries.

I'm building a 3D Applications computer and am torn between the 8800 and the dollar equivalant in the Quadro series.

Crysis aside, I think you'll be getting less for your money if you go with a quadro. It comes down to how important it is to you to have a "qualified" card for the 3d apps you intend to run. I've had some issues with my 8800GTX in Maya, but I found some driver settings tweaks which seem to have sorted that out.
The "dollar equivalent" quadro will probably be a much less powerful card, but with sparkly drivers that are optimized for serious apps so I'd expect a potentially big difference in gaming performance. Plus I've had "pro" cards in the past that were absolutely awful for games (all sorts of graphical glitches) but I wouldn't expect that to be so bad with modern quadros.
Edit: I'd also try googling to see if anyone is having issues with an 8800 and the specific software you want to run.

Back