playing BD movies over G

goodcooper

[H]F Junkie
do you think its possible?

i would like to buy a new bluray disk drive because the prices have gotten so low, and there is actually a winner in this high-def war... you can get a liteon bluray disc rom drive for 130...

i'd like to put the drive in one of my machines upstairs for ripping movies and etc, but also be able to play BD movies on my HDTV downstairs (of course).... it has a HTPC hooked up to it with wireless net connection...
i've got a wireless G network...

i guess what i'm asking is, is bluray encoded at more than 54mbps? or... minus overhead... something like 30mbps?

thoughts? might just buy one now and get a burner later when they drop to sub $100

I wouldn't recommend it. I've got a D-Link Wireless HD Media player, and even it doesn't recommend using wireless for HD content. Your best bet, aside from ethernet would be to use powerline adapters.

I wouldn't recommend it. I've got a D-Link Wireless HD Media player, and even it doesn't recommend using wireless for HD content. Your best bet, aside from ethernet would be to use powerline adapters.

i've got a couple i'm not using, but i think they're limited to somewhere around 10mbps

i havn't used them in a while

well the bluray wikipedia says 1x speed on a bluray player is 36mbps, so i THINK i'm safe... because i'm thinking you don't need to read at a full 1x to play a movie...

sound good?

You can try it but I would expect it to work like crap.
For starters, 54mbps is a theoretical maximum. Expect closer to 35 mbps in the real world.
Secondly, Your speed is split amongst devices running over the network. So if you have one device streaming the movie and another playing it back theres really only 15-20mbps of bandwidth available to you. (Assuming both ends are wireless)

Personally, I'm not sure I would trust anything short of gigabit ethernet but thats just me.

The latest version of powerline networking can do 85Mbps.

I can tell you for sure that it doesn't work on "b", the built in card on my laptop .

I also tried g, and had stuttering, tho that may have been bcoz of RAM limits, not sure. It's on my list of things to follow up on....

I know very little about Bluray and HD in general, but I know that my AT&T U-Verse account allots 6Mbps for an HD signal, I know that OTA HD isn't anywhere near the same as Bluray.

Let us know how it works when/if you do try it.

802.11g, no - 802.11n, probably. I've got no experience, but the eventual potential throughput isn't bad.

i've got a couple i'm not using, but i think they're limited to somewhere around 10mbps

i havn't used them in a while

well the bluray wikipedia says 1x speed on a bluray player is 36mbps, so i THINK i'm safe... because i'm thinking you don't need to read at a full 1x to play a movie...

sound good?

no

G is 54mbit both directions... 27 in each... and then you have to factor in overhead and whatnot...

Won't even get close to 36mbps, sorry.

I've tried this with HD-DVD's ripped to my file server, and wireless G or N and the PowerLines (unless they are right next to each other or close to it) won't work (or will stutter like crazy). Requires a steady consistent bit of bandwidth. I just sucked it up and ran wired gigabit to my HTPC.

Also your HTPC will need some serious horsepower and a video card that can handle the decoding tasks. I'd run Cyberlinks BR advisor program to see if it's up to the task before you start spending $$$.

I've tried that with a regular DVD and have had problems after you factor in overhead, encryption, etc...

ya, with 802.11b you can't even stream regular DVD's...

it's sad cause my cablemodem is 2x faster than my crap B router at home... i'll download something again before i'll share it over the wireless.

Back