Playing at 800x600 or 1280x1024 whats the diff?

ivanvt

n00b
Ok, so this may be a really stupid question but ive always wandered what is the diff between playing at 800x600 and 1280x1024.

Let me put it this way, on your deskotp higher resolution means you have a lot more space than with lower resolution, but i honestly dont see any diff if i play BF2 at 800x600 and 1280x1024 everything max out. in games you have the same "visual space" or "visibility".

More pixels on the screen so pixels are smaller resulting in a sharper picture.

you do have the same "visibility" but at larger resolutions the detail is much better.

Sharper image, objects are more detailed and easier to identify at range.

higher res is kind of like a "slight" addition of AA

say at 800x 600 you have a curve, at 800 x 600 that curve if looked up close is made up of 5 "steps" or 5 squares placed on one another.

at say 1280 x 1024, that same curve is made up of 20 "steps" all in the same space as the 5 steps, so the 'jaggies" appear alot smoother.

if that makes ANY sense (it did in my head)

MrGuvernment said:
higher res is kind of like a "slight" addition of AA

say at 800x 600 you have a curve, at 800 x 600 that curve if looked up close is made up of 5 "steps" or 5 squares placed on one another.

at say 1280 x 1024, that same curve is made up of 20 "steps" all in the same space as the 5 steps, so the 'jaggies" appear alot smoother.

if that makes ANY sense (it did in my head)

Thx all for your explanations.

You would actually have more "visual space" in several circumstances at higher resolutions.

For instance, in FPS games with a "heads up display" the text in the display may be smaller due to the higher resolution and thus allow more of the screen to be open for seeing what's around you. I remember watching a friend of mine play CS:S at 800x600 and nearly coming to tears laughing because there was so much crap going on that I couldn't see a thing :D I suppose it depends on the game you play, but to me 800x600 seems ancient. :p

Back