playing a prank on a friend

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
im reformatting an older pc for a friend, and i want to play a joke on him. when i was talking to him, he said this: "make sure you put 98 on it, not 95, 3.1, dos 5.0, etc." so just because of that, im putting win 3.1 on it :D the thing is i want to normally put 98 in, but have a cd that ill leave in the cd rom drive that will boot to windows 3.1. is it possible?

I don't know how possible this is - but one prank I pulled on a coworker was I put a 500MB harddrive in his computer as the primary master with NT 3.5.1 installed on it - after unplugging the 80GB harddrive with XP Professional. If you have a spare harddrive lying around, give that a try.

Thermite Paste said:
im reformatting an older pc for a friend, and i want to play a joke on him. when i was talking to him, he said this: "make sure you put 98 on it, not 95, 3.1, dos 5.0, etc." so just because of that, im putting win 3.1 on it :D the thing is i want to normally put 98 in, but have a cd that ill leave in the cd rom drive that will boot to windows 3.1. is it possible?

Download a Knoppix Linux ISO. That boot directly from the CD, plus it should really mess with his head :)

swinchen said:
Download a Knoppix Linux ISO. That boot directly from the CD, plus it should really mess with his head :)

Trouble is, then he'll be disappointed when you go back to Win98 :D

swinchen said:
i am SO doing that. anyone have a link to download it?

yea i know how to use torrent thanks for the links. ill keep you guys posted on how he reacts :p

wont that ask him if he wants to boot from a cd and wait for an answer still?

there is a complete os that boots from and runs off of a floppy its called menutos (or menuet os) but of course hed hear the clicky clicky of the fdd.

wankrtron said:
wont that ask him if he wants to boot from a cd and wait for an answer still?

there is a complete os that boots from and runs off of a floppy its called menutos (or menuet os) but of course hed hear the clicky clicky of the fdd.
That's a BIOS option....

And if you HAVE to go in there, might as well disable the CPU cache, welcome to 486 speeds. ^.^

Phoenix86 said:
That's a BIOS option....

And if you HAVE to go in there, might as well disable the CPU cache, welcome to 486 speeds. ^.^

lmao i might do that

Phoenix86 said:
That's a BIOS option....

Stay away from my computer!!! :p

i didnt know you could disable that from the bios. guess ill have to look closer when tooling around in there. :rolleyes:

.bat files are the best trick of all.. Inside the bat file put the command to restart windows. and make it start up every time the computer is booted.. So right when he logs into windows.. BAM!.... Instant grief.

Another trick that is funny to do is to open the computer itself and take the heatsink off and take the chip out, and put the heatsink back on... Funny crap I tell ya.. The kid I did it to had NO idea what to do.. Didnt even bother taking the heatsink off to look if the chip was there or not.

Back