PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds to Run at 60 FPS on Xbox One X

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Brendan "PlayerUnknown" Greene has confirmed that PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, at least on the Xbox One X, will run at 60FPS. It's something that many of us suspected with Microsoft's most powerful console, but it's good to get a confirmation from the creator himself.

“Definitely on Xbox One X, 60 FPS. On Xbox One, we're not sure. We may have to limit it at 30 FPS, maybe, but the last time I saw it, it was running at about 30 to 40. We're still constantly improving it so, you know, the aim is to get to 60.”

Higher FPS on consoles than a top of the line PC runs it at low 1080p... Why people still play this game is beyond me.

Horrendous reviews with tens of thousands of remorseful buyers, yet more and more people keep buying it, more and more people stay playing it.

They already broke numerous promises, and missed numerous self set timelines on new features, maps, modes, etc. But hey, at least they're selling loot box scams for a slim chance to get a random skin you actually want in an early access game that they said they wouldn't do numerous times beforehand. And thank god they shifted development to console porting instead of finishing the current unfinished, unoptimized, hack filled and unplayably buggy game on PC. Let's not get started on them getting caught paying streamers, or sucking their ***** every chance they get when they cry "stream sniper", and their unprofessional and short tempered "CEO" that makes Trump seem like a good and well tempered leader...

Fortnite on the other hand is doing extremely well, and have stolen hundreds of thousands of players from Battlegrounds while Fortnite has over 20 million unique players which Battlegrounds has yet to reach, with over 1 million concurrent players, and is still climbing as they regularly update the game and add new features/improvements as real developers from proper companies regularly do. Plus, they have a proper microtransaction system where you buy the skins you want vs the EA loot box gambling scams of Battlefront 2, CS GO, Overwatch (though at least this game gives you the crates for free every level up), Quake Champions, etc.

Higher FPS on consoles than a top of the line PC runs it at low 1080p... Why people still play this game is beyond me.

Horrendous reviews with tens of thousands of remorseful buyers, yet more and more people keep buying it, more and more people stay playing it.

They already broke numerous promises, and missed numerous self set timelines on new features, maps, modes, etc. But hey, at least they're selling loot box scams for a slim chance to get a random skin you actually want in an early access game that they said they wouldn't do numerous times beforehand. And thank god they shifted development to console porting instead of finishing the current unfinished, unoptimized, hack filled and unplayably buggy game on PC. Let's not get started on them getting caught paying streamers, or sucking their ***** every chance they get when they cry "stream sniper", and their unprofessional and short tempered "CEO" that makes Trump seem like a good and well tempered leader...

Fortnite on the other hand is doing extremely well, and have stolen hundreds of thousands of players from Battlegrounds while Fortnite has over 20 million unique players which Battlegrounds has yet to reach, with over 1 million concurrent players, and is still climbing as they regularly update the game and add new features/improvements as real developers from proper companies regularly do. Plus, they have a proper microtransaction system where you buy the skins you want vs the EA loot box gambling scams of Battlefront 2, CS GO, Overwatch (though at least this game gives you the crates for free every level up), Quake Champions, etc.

And soon you see the truth. Promises, goals, deadlines : nobody actually cares about whether they are held true. They only care about one thing and one thing only: is the end result better than no end result, and is the effort of trying to change it a greater detriment than just letting it happen?

This goes for politicians' promises, your own career goals, anything really. This is why so many promises are made, but few are kept. It's a low risk move to make a ton of promises with people giving you the benefits of trust and alligance knowing that few if any of them are going to put in ANY effort to hold you to them.

Once Pubjee got too big to fail, they knew they had their audience by the balls.

Last edited:

Well.... you're not wrong about PUBG. Still, it's a kick ass game and I really love it. I still enjoy playing it almost daily. Your complaints are very valid, though. It's a optimized, buggy as shit, hack filled, unfinished game. But, it's fun. And while I do hope they bring some focus back to PC and bring new maps and maybe a night mode, I'm playing what they have right now and enjoying it.

Fortnite... it's ok. It's more polished, but I prefer the less cartoony PUBG.

Plus, they have a proper microtransaction system where you buy the skins you want vs the EA loot box gambling scams of Battlefront 2, CS GO, Overwatch (though at least this game gives you the crates for free every level up), Quake Champions, etc.

The lootboxes in PUBG are free and cost nothing to open.

I love this game, and I will be getting it again on my Xbox to play with my console buddies!

I am pretty surprised how well it runs on the potato.

I don't freaking understand how poorly optimized this game is. I'm running a Ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3.8, a Vega 56 flashed to 64, and 1440p. Low settings on everything except AA (which has no impact on FPS), and Reshade to make it look not so washed-out (subtract 5-7fps)....I'll almost never hit 100+ FPS, and I routinely get drops into the 40s. Not only that, but the game FEELS terrible, freesync on or off.

The gameplay is amazing, so I keep on keeping on. I've got 150 or so hours, and it would be 300 if I wasn't so busy this time of year.

But seriously, the potato computer and my computer essentially look the same. It's gross.

I don't freaking understand how poorly optimized this game is. I'm running a Ryzen 1700 overclocked to 3.8, a Vega 56 flashed to 64, and 1440p. Low settings on everything except AA (which has no impact on FPS), and Reshade to make it look not so washed-out (subtract 5-7fps)....I'll almost never hit 100+ FPS, and I routinely get drops into the 40s. Not only that, but the game FEELS terrible, freesync on or off.

The gameplay is amazing, so I keep on keeping on. I've got 150 or so hours, and it would be 300 if I wasn't so busy this time of year.

But seriously, the potato computer and my computer essentially look the same. It's gross.
I clicked into this thread because I didn’t believe the title. The Xbox one X has a RX580 equivalent GPU right? My Vega 64 ran PUBG so bad I sold it and went back to a 1080ti.

90 FPS at 1440p, then 8 FPS randomly, then crash to desktop, then computer crash. Repeat, in no particular order to point of utter frustration.

No problems like that with 1080ti

And soon you see the truth. Promises, goals, deadlines : nobody actually cares about whether they are held true. They only care about one thing and one thing only: is the end result better than no end result, and is the effort of trying to change it a greater detriment than just letting it happen?

This goes for politicians' promises, your own career goals, anything really. This is why so many promises are made, but few are kept. It's a low risk move to make a ton of promises with people giving you the benefits of trust and alligance knowing that few if any of them are going to put in ANY effort to hold you to them.

Once Pubjee got too big to fail, they knew they had their audience by the balls.
This is PlayerUnknowns' MO, though. He'll soon be moving on to his next project and everyone will migrate to that for a year or two and the cycle will continue. It's the ultimate swindle since the game is so casual.

Im pretty much same as you, my PC is no real slouch, and I use same settings (except AA on lowest, view distance on high), and also reshade - and get pretty much the same FPS @1440.......
at the starting island dips down to like 45 fps, and up to like 110 depending where I am - just bought a freesync monitor which makes it feel a tad nicer but all in all its a mess (although I got the same fps at 1080p on last monitor so the gpu isnt struggling).

This game lost my attention when I read that it was originally created as a DayZ mod. All of the Arma games have had horrible performance, no optimization, and tons of bugs. DayZ is the same and a complete joke from a development standpoint. Even though it's a different engine it's not surprising to me to hear that the tradition has continued with this game (so far).

Love the game concept but I'll never touch another product even remotely linked to Arma unless it's out of "early access" and has solid reviews.

This game lost my attention when I read that it was originally created as a DayZ mod. All of the Arma games have had horrible performance, no optimization, and tons of bugs. DayZ is the same and a complete joke from a development standpoint. Even though it's a different engine it's not surprising to me to hear that the tradition has continued with this game (so far).

Love the game concept but I'll never touch another product even remotely linked to Arma unless it's out of "early access" and has solid reviews.

I got my $20 worth out of it for sure. I hope they can do better soon, but I am with you, I don't think they will ever get it optimized.

I really just want someone to copy the game almost exactly, using an engine that is actually functional. Hell, the graphics from battlefield 3 are better than this game. Port a "battle royal" style over and make it run well, I'll jump ship immediately. Fortnite doesn't do it for me, as the gunplay is why I like PUBG. But literally any of the battlefields gunplay/graphics/optimization combined with this "survival/loot" setup = bye bye PUBG.

I got my $20 worth out of it for sure. I hope they can do better soon, but I am with you, I don't think they will ever get it optimized.

I really just want someone to copy the game almost exactly, using an engine that is actually functional. Hell, the graphics from battlefield 3 are better than this game. Port a "battle royal" style over and make it run well, I'll jump ship immediately. Fortnite doesn't do it for me, as the gunplay is why I like PUBG. But literally any of the battlefields gunplay/graphics/optimization combined with this "survival/loot" setup = bye bye PUBG.

I would love to see that! PUBG is a great concept but a complete mess.

It's just not fun for me to run and hide for 30 minutes just to do one 15 second gun battle that decides if I win or lose the entire game.

It's just not fun for me to run and hide for 30 minutes just to do one 15 second gun battle that decides if I win or lose the entire game.
Then don't. I felt the same way at first, and I do get bored playing solo...but with my friends as a team, we almost never camp. You can play aggressive, you can play passive, you can all drive around jeeps and not fire a single shot and just play "mad max." That is the beauty of the games. If we have had a few boring ones in a row, we will just jump to a highly populated area and engage.

I clicked into this thread because I didn’t believe the title. The Xbox one X has a RX580 equivalent GPU right? My Vega 64 ran PUBG so bad I sold it and went back to a 1080ti.

90 FPS at 1440p, then 8 FPS randomly, then crash to desktop, then computer crash. Repeat, in no particular order to point of utter frustration.

No problems like that with 1080ti

Actually the Xbox One X has faster RAM and four more compute unites than a RX580, so it is more like a RX580x-RX590 if they were to ever make such a thing. Plus the Xbox One X is fixed hardware, so there shouldn't be any driver issues like the ones plaguing the Vega.

Though I do have a question, if you have a 1080ti why put a slower and more power hungry card in your rig? As a Team Red member I would do it because I am a Fan-Boy, but if you were already Team Green that seems like a sideways step ... at best ...

Actually the Xbox One X has faster RAM and four more compute unites than a RX580, so it is more like a RX580x-RX590 if they were to ever make such a thing. Plus the Xbox One X is fixed hardware, so there shouldn't be any driver issues like the ones plaguing the Vega.
Yea but like the Xbox One, the Xbox One X will perform closer to a RX 470 or RX 460. You still have a slow CPU with shared memory. I haven't seen any side by side comparisons yet, but you can see that a R7 260X is literally the same as the Xbox One and PS4's equivalent to a Radeon HD 7870. Majority of those 4k games on the Xbox One X will fluctuate in resolution to maintain fps. So not 4k but sometimes 4k.

Yea but like the Xbox One, the Xbox One X will perform closer to a RX 470 or RX 460. You still have a slow CPU with shared memory. I haven't seen any side by side comparisons yet, but you can see that a R7 260X is literally the same as the Xbox One and PS4's equivalent to a Radeon HD 7870. Majority of those 4k games on the Xbox One X will fluctuate in resolution to maintain fps. So not 4k but sometimes 4k.

True, but sometimes 4K is better than sometimes 900p like the Xbox One. I have no problem with Dynamic Resolution, I wish more PC games had it. Because there are a lot of games that usually run at 60FPS, but then dive in certain spots, and I wish my games could automatically account for that, but you are right, the mobile CPU is holding the X back.

Though I do have a question, if you have a 1080ti why put a slower and more power hungry card in your rig? As a Team Red member I would do it because I am a Fan-Boy, but if you were already Team Green that seems like a sideways step ... at best ...

Cause I already had invested in three freesync 32” monitors so I was tied to the AMD ecosystem.

Fury X pair with Crossfire was a better gaming experience with freesync than a pair of 1080ti in SLI without freesync. Vega drivers sucked for multi display —- nothing short of sucked... sucked hard.
Freesync didn’t work, bezel correction didn’t work, games crashed, desktop crashed, machine crashed. I tried three different Vegas - all sucky frustrating experiences.

I decided at that point since I’d already sold the Fury X pair and wasn’t happy with the 1080ti pair without a refresh rate sync tech that it was time to sell the freesync monitors. I’ve now sold all three monitors and my Vega cards and now am using a 1080ti with a Alienware 34” ultrawide with gsync.

Gsync is not inherently better tech than freesync. But Nvidia is heads and shoulders above Vegas crappy driver experience. FWIW- my Fury X experience was nearly flawless, but I bought them about a year or two after initial product launch- so their drivers were very mature.

Attachments

• 9E31E4AB-5553-4C93-9791-7772E1167677.jpeg
    9E31E4AB-5553-4C93-9791-7772E1167677.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee
like this

Wait... they added lootboxes to this game?! Smooth.

I don't get the hate on loot boxes. Maybe because I've only played games where the loot was all purely cosmetic, in PUBG's case it can actually be a negative(bright puffy jacket? No thanks.) and you can still buy them with in game cash, then sell them for real cash through Steam. Want to spend real world dollars for cosmetic items? Have at it.

Pay to win, yeah fuck that, but that's not PUBG or any other game I've personally played with loot boxes.

Back