Played with the EVO today...

Sprint selling HTC EVO 4G on June 4 for $199
htc-evo-4g-01-top.jpg

Damn my sources were correct..

Now the downside.. The price will be $10 extra a month, use of the 4g services. I can swallow that, even though i dont have 4g in my area.

Last edited:
I wonder how family plans will work. Will it be $10/line on the plan that has an EVO, or will they make all 4 line (in my case) pay the fee regardless of phone choice.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I did to...so existing customers will have to pay full price for it ? which is $449 ? read the fine print in the email :confused:

I'm not an existing customer but Sprint has no coverage in my area. I can only watch and weep. :(

wait what... I'm at work now so I can't check anything but here so... I'm 2 months out of my 2 year contract. I have to pay full price? if that was the case, screw loyalty. hello verizon!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Two months from the end of your contract? You should be fine.

Upgrade: Existing customers in good standing with service on the same device for more than 22 consecutive months currently activated with a service plan of $39.99 or higher may be eligible. See in-store rebate form, sprint.com/upgrade for details.

I did to...so existing customers will have to pay full price for it ? which is $449 ? read the fine print in the email :confused:

Yeah I got the same email and I saw that they printed $449 price as the starting point for calculating the sprint new line/eligible upgrade price. Not to burst your bubble but I've seen Sprint do this many times in the past. The "full price" that they use to calculate eligible upgrade pricing is never the same as the full retail price if you want to buy the phone outright. Sorry but I'm 99% sure that this phone will cost more than $449 if you want to buy out w/o contract. I'm guessing that it will be something like $599.

In my case I was willing to pay the $599 but my friend here at work said I can use his upgrade eligibility since he wasn't planing on using it anyway. woo-hoo for me. I'll be glad to pay only $200 considering I was willing to pay $600.

I've been with Sprint for 8 years now, if they charge me more than 449 for this phone they can go f**k themselves.

No phone is worth $600..your out of your mind if you pay that...no phone on their site cost that much.

I've been with Sprint for 8 years now, if they charge me more than 449 for this phone they can go f**k themselves.

You've been with Sprint for 8 years and you have never onced noticed what the full retail price was for almost every brand new smart phone when it first came out? The moment, the hero, the tour, etc. Every single one of them was more than $449. Thems are just the facts my friend. Sorry you've never been aware of that until now.

You've been with Sprint for 8 years and you have never onced noticed what the full retail price was for almost every brand new smart phone when it first came out? The moment, the hero, the tour, etc. Every single one of them was more than $449. Thems are just the facts my friend. Sorry you've never been aware of that until now.
I didn't say that.. I said I wouldn't pay that much and no phone is worth that much.

Guys, the full retail cost is $449. 2 year upgrades ALWAYS got the new customer pricing, ALWAYS. Come on now, you've been customers for 8 years, you know this by now. -=p

If you're eligible for an upgrade (2 year/$150 or new customer), it's $199 after rebate, if you buy it full price, it's $449. End of story.

Edit to prevent future confusion: Premier customers get the 2 year/new customer upgrade every 12 months on the MAIN line of their account.

Last edited:

No phone is worth $600..your out of your mind if you pay that...no phone on their site cost that much.

You should be a premiere customer. You need to check if you are one. Im a premiere customer and i get to upgrade every year. My upgrade date is august 6th.

this is how I pictured it all in my head.

Me: I want one.
Sprint rep: Pay full price or wait till December.
Wallet: No.

this is how I pictured it all in my head.

Me: I want one.
Sprint rep: Pay full price or wait till December.
Wallet: No.

For me its
I want one :)
Contract says no until August
Wallet says yes!: I will be saving $60 a month on sprints plans.

The $10 extra plan kills it for me. I was ready to drop two SERO lines for this baby, and now Sprint has dashed my hopes. Now I will proceed to drop Sprint. By which I mean cling to SERO for dear life and assess my options when SERO is finally killed off.

I guess my g/f is getting a brand new TP2 instead of a brand new EVO.

That was Verizon, NOT Sprint...

They required Everything plans for the Pre, which was the first non-Instinct phone to require them. There was a lot of bitching at the time. I was in a similar situation. I'd have bought the fuck out of the Pre if it had been available on SERO.

Now I'd be happy to get the EVO on regular Everything data, but I guess I have to re-set my expectations. :rolleyes:

One of the blogs wrote that the reason we're paying an extra $10 is not just for the 4G, but that they expect this phone to eat more data than others. A little weak considering some of us don't live in 4G cities.

I did get a chance to see an HD2 the other day though and boy was that large screen nice!

After looking at the plans, I still think I'm going with the EVO, although it will not be with unlimited minutes. Sprint's plan of "true" unlimited web, unlimited text and unlimited mobile-to-mobile for $80.00 is the best in the industry - it doesn't hurt that I live in a 4G saturated area.

There are tethering apps out there, so I'm assuming a rooted EVO will be able to get around the $30.00 hotspot fee.

And I do have an employee discount. I'm thinking the 450 minutes to landlines will do just fine.

Exactly. I plan on having a 4G WiFi hotspot within the first week once I root my Evo.

They required Everything plans for the Pre, which was the first non-Instinct phone to require them. There was a lot of bitching at the time. I was in a similar situation. I'd have bought the fuck out of the Pre if it had been available on SERO.

Now I'd be happy to get the EVO on regular Everything data, but I guess I have to re-set my expectations. :rolleyes:

So you're on a plan that was originally available ONLY to employees leaving the company, and you're annoyed you have to pay the same rate as everyone else, 3 years later, IF you want the latest and greatest phones? Um, ok... Have fun paying MORE than you would if you had the EVO, just to spite Sprint.

SKL1, impossible unless you're not the main line on the account. If your line is the premier line, you either get it for $199.99, or you're not eligible for an upgrade and it's $449.

Also folks, remember, it's only $10 more IF you're in a 4G area. If you're not, it's still normal price.

The absolute minimum discount ANYONE can get with Sprint is 10%, so at *most*, you're paying $63/72 for 4G service with the EVO, and at the best discount (27%), it's $51/58 per month. Tack on discounted insurance ($7, less 10-27%) and taxes, and good luck finding that ANYWHERE else with a newer phone.

So you're on a plan that was originally available ONLY to employees leaving the company, and you're annoyed you have to pay the same rate as everyone else, 3 years later, IF you want the latest and greatest phones? Um, ok... Have fun paying MORE than you would if you had the EVO, just to spite Sprint.

I don't know how much you know about SERO from back in the day, but that's BS. You're making shit up. SERO was public. EPRP is public. If Sprint didn't want people to sign up, they wouldn't have distributed the [email protected] and [email protected] emails.

If I pay more to VZW or AT&T, I'll get more, in the form of a better network or an iPhone.

SKL1, impossible unless you're not the main line on the account. If your line is the premier line, you either get it for $199.99, or you're not eligible for an upgrade and it's $449.

Also folks, remember, it's only $10 more IF you're in a 4G area. If you're not, it's still normal price.

The absolute minimum discount ANYONE can get with Sprint is 10%, so at *most*, you're paying $63/72 for 4G service with the EVO, and at the best discount (27%), it's $51/58 per month. Tack on discounted insurance ($7, less 10-27%) and taxes, and good luck finding that ANYWHERE else with a newer phone.

That's not my understanding on the pricing.

My understanding is, $10 a month additional is the premium data plan, for 3G and 4G data, but no 5GB cap. Also, tell me what I need to do to get a 10% discount? :p

Remeber guys, Best Buy is giving instant rebates to you'll only be paying $199 up front. In Store only. I'm pre-ordering mine tonight.

The rep said I would get a $75 rebate on a certain date. whats so impossible about that ????

Back