Played with the EVO today...

entropism

2[H]4U
Spoke to a few higher ups today (and played with the EVO), release date is mid-June. I asked about the 13th, and they said "they couldn't get any more specific (wink wink)". Whatever.

By the way, the phone feels AMAZING. Slightly too large of a device for the 15 minutes I played with it, but I can see getting used to it quick. Screen is as responsive as the iPhone, everything loads FAST. Faster than I thought possible on a phone. I was a fan of the iPhone, just not AT&T. After playing with the EVO, it looks like a supermodel next to the iPhone's meth whore. =)

Honestly, if they restrict Sprint employees from having this (They did for the Pre and Instinct, but not the Hero or Moment), then I WILL be buying this full price, and using my upgrade to sell on Craigslist.

Oh, and SomethingClever? Chubby's in Roxborough has better steaks than Pat's. =p

Great news because my Centro has had a smashed screen (nonfunctional touch obv) since December. Contract is up May 1st, but I'll wait this out.

Any news on what Sprint will be charging for 4G access? I'm on a family plan with 4 lines and I have a feeling I'm going to have to pay like $40 just so I can use this crap. :rolleyes:

lol pretty close to my contract end date. MUST GET THIS PHONE! I hate AT&T billed me for blackberry data plan and w/e personal crap. I dont even have a damn blackberry.

My contract with sprint is over and the Droid Incredible is really calling my name to jump ship to Verizon if they don't hurry and release this damn phone... Comparing specs the only thing really making me want the EVO over the Incredible is the mini-HDMI connection and I'm not sure that's worth another 2 months wait.

i got a pre the first day so i'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year or so. which sucks cuz i'm excited about this phone. i'm sure something as sweet will be out when my contract is up though.

it has hdmi output, but what codecs does android handle? w/o mkv support i don't think i'd use it much.

i got a pre the first day so i'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year or so. which sucks cuz i'm excited about this phone. i'm sure something as sweet will be out when my contract is up though.

it has hdmi output, but what codecs does android handle? w/o mkv support i don't think i'd use it much.

If you have a Pre, you are undoubtedly a Premier customer and eligible for a handset upgrade every year.

yup. you can renew your 2 yr contract yearly and you just pay the upgrade price.
Sprint dont care because they make money off the service anyways, not the hardware.

Im really really hoping/praying/begging that it'll work on my current super-plan. Otherwise, the $1000 (over 2 years) difference is going to hurt like hell. But I'll probably still do it. If the N1 comes out and is compatible and the evo isn't...fuck that'll be a hard choice. I REALLY want the evo.

I recently used my upgrade on Sprint to get my wife an HTC hero. (I'm using a moment.) I plan on getting this phone on release day and simply paying full price. Yeah the phone looks that good. I'm budgeting around 6 bills. With any luck it might be less. Either way, this phone is sexy beyond belief.

I wouldn't hold your breathe on the N1. Google has flat out told VZW customers to buy something else instead of waiting for it. I can't imagine a Sprint version is going to be coming anytime soon.

Sprint N1 was "semi" confirmed today. I honestly don't put much faith in it, and frankly. see NO reason to get it over the EVO.

OK, so here's some new info: It is NOT a world phone. EVDO Rev A and Wimax. YES, it does voice and data simultaneously (but only in a 4G area). It IS running 2.1, not Froyo.

I spoke to them about the Pre and the Instinct launch, and how fucked up it was due to Sprint mishandling it, and they confirmed that they "learned from their mistakes". I specifically brought up T-mo employees ALL having the G1 a month before launch, and they said they were trying their best to get the EVO to all employees who want one a few weeks early. This, of course, got me half mast. There's expected to be "PLENTY on hand, to the point where there will be enough for everyone". No Pre/iPhone/Touch Pro crap here.

Johnny78, your budget is about right. Just factor in tax.

Edit: Look, I'm going to say this once, because frankly, I'm just sick of the people: I SWEAR TO GOD, IF YOU ASK IF IT WORKS ON SERO, YOU DESERVE SOME FORM OF CYST TO GROW ON YOUR GENITALS. No, it's not SERO compatible, and I can say with 100% certainty, the LAST smartphone to be SERO compatible is the Touch pro 2. Get the hell over it.

Any service pricing hints? I "heard" from a sprint rep I was chatting with that 4G and the 8 device tether will be included in the Sprint unlimited plan.

Can you confirm?

Also, have they addressed 4Gs issues with reception inside buildings?

(and I avoided the whole "cyst" issue!)

If you have a Pre, you are undoubtedly a Premier customer and eligible for a handset upgrade every year.

i am a premier member. in fact, i'm working on my 150 word entry to win the EVO. I didn't know that premier members could update their hardware whenever, thanks for the info!

anyone else know about media playback options in android?

also, the screen is massive for a phone. what options are you guys thinking for carrying it around?

Since this was in NYC, I couldn't confirm 4G signals, however it WILL switch to 3G when 4G isn't available, so I don't see it being an issue at this point in time. Not when speeds are so close with the early Wimax tech.

Premier members get an upgrade every 12 months on their MAIN line. If you got the pre on launch day, you should be able to get the EVO.

Service pricing was NOT discussed, but (and this is strictly my experience) I don't see there being a premium over 3G service. MAYBE $10, but Sprint would be idiotic to do so, and I'm pretty sure Sprint knows this. I will say this though: Nobody you talk to at a Sprint store will know a thing about it. As soon as the info is leaked to the employees and I have the go ahead, I WILL let you guys in though.

Thanks entropism,

I have used a work Blackberry forever, but I'm going to preorder/buy the Evo and sign up for the unlimited plan when it's available. I live near Seattle and the Puget Sound region has been satuated with Sprint/Clear wimax. I can't wait!

My iPhone cried when I held it up to my monitor as I read this thread. Can't wait for EVO!!!

If it wasn't for Sprint's craptacular network around here, I'd be all over this thing.

Seriously Sprint, why do you have to suck so bad out here in the heartland!

As a 6-7 year AT&T user who has now become quite simply annoyed with the state in which AT&T turns it's back on amazing new Android phones the jumping ship to Verizon or Sprint is going to happen before the Summer ends.

The real ?? will be which of the 2 carriers works better in the Bay Area. I wan't an HTC Android device and as of right now it is between the Incredible and the EVO 4G.

I have gone G1 > MyTouch > Nexus One all on AT&T without 3G and I simply cannot do it anymore.

AT&T, your grandfather rate was great but no more. The cheap plan just doesn't matter as much as getting a great phone on a great provider.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been with AT&T for about 7-8 years and am disapointed with their non iPhone phone selection. I am prepared to jump to Sprint once the EVO 4G is released. From everything I have read, people in the Bay Area seem to be very happy with their Sprint service.

The main thing I am looking to confirm/deny is whether or not Sprint is able to utilize Verizon's 3G data speeds while roaming. Sprint has a contract with Verizon so that Sprint customers can roam on Verizon. I don't believe it includes 3G speeds, but non-the less, at least it fills in any potential service gaps.

Roaming on Verizon is at 2G speeds, roaming with Alltel is 3G. From what I've seen, the bay area is pretty much perfect with Verizon or Sprint, but you'll be getting 4G around october with Sprint.

Not to threadjack, but what the heck happened to ATT? Ever since they merged with Cingular, their service has been horrible with increasing numbers of dropped calls every week for me. I finally switched to Verizon and have yet to drop a call. Cingular never gave me an issue whatsoever either so what the heck happened?

Seriously ATT? Are you that bent over with Steve's golden dick in your ass that you can't spend a dime on infrastructure?

All I can say is I hate that Sprint has no coverage in my area, therefore I hate that the EVO will be released by Sprint. :( As much as this pains me, it looks like Apple & AT&T will be my new bitches this summer. Ugh!

As for N1 & Verizon, Isn't the Incredible nothing more than an updated Nexus??

Since this was in NYC, I couldn't confirm 4G signals, however it WILL switch to 3G when 4G isn't available, so I don't see it being an issue at this point in time. Not when speeds are so close with the early Wimax tech.

Premier members get an upgrade every 12 months on their MAIN line. If you got the pre on launch day, you should be able to get the EVO.

Service pricing was NOT discussed, but (and this is strictly my experience) I don't see there being a premium over 3G service. MAYBE $10, but Sprint would be idiotic to do so, and I'm pretty sure Sprint knows this. I will say this though: Nobody you talk to at a Sprint store will know a thing about it. As soon as the info is leaked to the employees and I have the go ahead, I WILL let you guys in though.

I'm really going to be interested in what type of premium, if any, that Sprint is going to charge for the Hotspot feature. I'm on a Pre, I'll be looking to upgrade sometime in the late summer. If you get any information on what types of premiums they are looking to charge for that feature, let me know, please. :D

Entrop, I was busy drooling over the Evo on HowardForums and I see you're over there too lol.

Any word on pricing yet? I'm still debating getting a Touch Pro 2 and staying on Sero.

Or getting Evo. and paying $80 a month?

OK, here's some info: The Hotspot feature, nobody has pricing on yet, at least from the info I have access to. Honestly, I don't see them charging much for the feature, if at all.

Plan pricing will be the same it is now. So you're looking at $60ish before taxes and insurance for the 450 minute plan., about $75 after all is said & done, final bill.

Just got soft confirmation I'm getting mine in a few weeks. I'm a happy camper.

I almost bought an Incredible today, but just had to hold on a little longer for an Evo.

I'll be getting an Evo on launch day if possible. My birthday is July 1 so it will be my early present to me :D.

There's no 4G coverage where I live, but the thought that it would be screaming fast if I lived in a big city is good enough. :p Plus the rest of the phone is awesome, too.

I do not know if this is true but the EVO will be 200 bucks "with" plan

Best Buy is not yet taking pre-orders for the smartphone, but it is allowing customers to sign up to be notified when the EVO 4G is available. And an employee at one of the retailer's locations revealed the price: $200 with contract.

Source

http://www.brighthand.com/default.a....1+HTC+EVO+4G+Price+Release+Date+WiMAX+Sprint
By the end of day one of the $199 Incredible's release, people were finding it for as low as $99. Maybe we'll get as lucky with the Evo's price.

As a 6-7 year AT&T user who has now become quite simply annoyed with the state in which AT&T turns it's back on amazing new Android phones the jumping ship to Verizon or Sprint is going to happen before the Summer ends.

The real ?? will be which of the 2 carriers works better in the Bay Area. I wan't an HTC Android device and as of right now it is between the Incredible and the EVO 4G.

I have gone G1 > MyTouch > Nexus One all on AT&T without 3G and I simply cannot do it anymore.

I just got the ATT Nexus One recently, 3G works great. I think ATT will start picking up other good android phones this year. Isn't the Xperia X10 supposed to come to ATT?

Man, I am in need of a new phone now that my screen's busted on my Moto Q9c (and my cheap ass didn't get insurance/coverage) and I was pretty dead set on getting the Evo. Thing is I'm not eligible for a rebate till December.

I want one but i'm not paying full price for a phone I'm probably going to bust like the current one. There anything Sprint does for Premier customers like me in this event?

By the end of day one of the $199 Incredible's release, people were finding it for as low as $99. Maybe we'll get as lucky with the Evo's price.

I'm afraid not for Sprint. Can't wait to get my hands on the Evo.
It sucks that I have to order it through sprint.

Last edited:
Back