Cyberdemon
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Oct 7, 2003
- Messages
- 358
I'm looking to build a machine purely for 3D rendering.
Obviously speed and stability are the two main goals. No point in having something render fast if it's going to crash halfway through.
Budget would probably be between 5-10k, but value is (IE spending an extra $1000 per CPU to get a few extra clocks that barely increase the speed) where is the sweet spot right now?
Obviously there's a couple options in my mind:
-Dual Socket E5 Xeons
-3960X Overclocked
I saw the EVGA SR-X announced, but if the Xeons are all locked, then any CPU overclocking is basically screwed on that front - so the question is would I get almost as much out of the cheapest 8 core as I would the top of the line.
Any thoughts on where the sweet spot is right now on bang for the bucks?
Obviously speed and stability are the two main goals. No point in having something render fast if it's going to crash halfway through.
Budget would probably be between 5-10k, but value is (IE spending an extra $1000 per CPU to get a few extra clocks that barely increase the speed) where is the sweet spot right now?
Obviously there's a couple options in my mind:
-Dual Socket E5 Xeons
-3960X Overclocked
I saw the EVGA SR-X announced, but if the Xeons are all locked, then any CPU overclocking is basically screwed on that front - so the question is would I get almost as much out of the cheapest 8 core as I would the top of the line.
Any thoughts on where the sweet spot is right now on bang for the bucks?
Last edited: