plasma vs lcd

Wesley1357

Limp Gawd
a. which has the best image quality plasma tvs or lcds tvs?
b. is plasma dying, been replaced for lcds? lcds image quality suck in my opinion, what your opinion?
c. can someone post or direct me to some plasma/lcd tvs screen shots?

A. Plasma is best though LCD flat panels rival in PQ. They don't do blacks quite as well as plasmas and are much more expensive. Also, the biggest LCD panel you can get now is 45" though that will change later this year.

B. Plasma is far from dying now that it is no longer a rich man's toy. You can get a Panny 50" HD plasma for less than $4K which was unheard of not too long ago.

C. Go to the AVSforum.com and look around. Screen shots won't help much though given that your computer monitor can display only so much resolution. However, here are few samples from the new Panny plasma that I own.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=5767413&&#post5767413

Wesley1357 said:
a. which has the best image quality plasma tvs or lcds tvs?
b. is plasma dying, been replaced for lcds? lcds image quality suck in my opinion, what your opinion?
c. can someone post or direct me to some plasma/lcd tvs screen shots?
Plasma's have better blacks, and argueably better color.

Plasma''s DRINK power and run extremely hot. Therefore the fans in it are audible to keep temps down.

Burn in issues with Plasmas are really a thing of the past, although it can still happen if you keep an image on the screen for a large amount of time.

Plasmas have 0 ghosting.

A Plasma must be at least 50 inch's in order to have "true HD" quality

LCD's must only have 17 inches to have true HD(it might even be 15)

LCD's have ghosting

LCD's are sharper, but also at the same time they can be more blurry due to running at non native resolutions

LCD's only use about 20% of the power a Plasma uses.

LCD's run decently cool.

LCD's have virtually no burn in issues.

LCD's have double the lifetime expectency(but really for the average user, a plasma will last 8 to 10 years and a LCD 16 to 20 years. This is kind of a pointless as both you will not use that long anyway.)

In both cases of LCD and Plasma, you must take the good with the bad. Find your preference and go on it.

Posting pictures online of plasma's and LCD's is pointless. Go to Circuit City or Best Buy.

I hope this helps

LCDs do *not* have double the life expectancy of of plasmas....not the newer ones. For example the Pannys lose half their brightness in 60,000 hours. If you watch seven hours a day, that's 23 years.

Plasmas do *not* run hot. There is barely a wisp of warmth coming out the rear of mine. There is zero fan noise. And 'drinking' power......wrong. This from a Panasonic white paper:

"Power Consumption

All Panasonic plasmas are Energy Star® compliant insuring low power consumption in standby mode (a mere 18 watts), when compared with non-Energy Star® models. The maximum power consumption during use depends on screen size; the 37-inch diagonal models, for example, are rated at 345 watts maximum. However, typical power consumption is much lower and varies depending on picture content and display settings such as brightness and contrast. With typical content and display settings, Panasonic plasmas have virtually the same power consumption as similar-sized LCD TVs."

Some of your info is outdated. The newer generation of plasmas last longer, are burn-in tolerant, don't run hot. etc. etc. etc.

it seem both technologies are bad for doing what they do.

are there newer lcd and/or plasma technologies coming?

thanks everyone.

Back