• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Plasma vs. LCD

im told that to get the same motion anti-blur as a plasma i would need to fork over cash for a 120hz lcd, is this true or can 60hz LCD's perform just fine in fast movies and such in HD

My father owns a 46" Samsung 60hz, and I've never had a problem when sitting down and watching anything HD (From Blurays, streaming, or the few times I've played PC games on it, mostly First Person Shooters).

That's not to say that the 120hz isn't worth getting. I was told that if you're coming into the market fresh that 120hz is worth getting over a 60hz just to avoid that hurdle. I'm not a TV expert myself, but this is what I've heard/read so far.

I think only those who are enthusiasts will notice the difference immediately (Without two being in the same place to compare).
 
just wondering, is power consuption really that big of a deal?

Im honestly asking, I was told even with a plasma burning more power it would probably only equate to like $30 a year. Is this true or is it alot more?

Now with that said, im looking at getting a new 50"+ TV after christmas. I plan to watch alot of tv and blu-ray and some light gaming and not sure if I should go for a plasma or LCD.

I like plasmas cause they look good and are cheap and im told that to get the same motion anti-blur as a plasma i would need to fork over cash for a 120hz lcd, is this true or can 60hz LCD's perform just fine in fast movies and such in HD (lcd's like sharps aquos D65u series, there nice and affordable when on sale)

im not very knowledable in tv's and just want best picture for my money

The power consumption is a nit pic at best. Burn in isn't much of an issue anymore. As for the motion blur, that isn't an issue on plasma as they don't have a refresh rate. On LCDs the 60Hz will have very noticeable motion blur and the 120/240Hz sets will have some artifacting issues around fast moving objects. Though it isn't very noticeable and is a worthy trade off. I've head of color degradation over time on plasma. This is only something I've heard for other people and online. I don't now if it's true.
 
Last edited:
I agree my plasma's look really nice, but man do they get hot.

In about 10 years when I have some extra money I want to go to a 1080P projector :D

I've seen some of the mid-range models and they look really good.

By the time I can get one the high end ones now with be affordable then...
 

Stay far away from that Sharp. It's the reason I had the whole Plasma Vs LCD debate with my sister. She ordered that exact TV from QVC for $999 and it arrived DOA. If you pressed the power button, it would turn on for about 1/2 a second before shutting itself right back off. After that it would just sit there with a green power light blinking. I went over and tried all the fixes I got from googling "sharp blinking green light" and none of them worked. Sharp wanted to try and fix it, but I told her not to bother and just return it to QVC and get something else. I saw on Google more than one case of a person with the problem getting it fixed by Sharp only to have the same problem crop up 3 to 6 months later. With so many Holiday deals out there, I wouldn't even consider buying a Sharp anymore. Whether you decide on LCD or Plasma, do yourself a favor and stick with the major brands like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or LG.
 
Stay far away from that Sharp. It's the reason I had the whole Plasma Vs LCD debate with my sister. She ordered that exact TV from QVC for $999 and it arrived DOA. If you pressed the power button, it would turn on for about 1/2 a second before shutting itself right back off. After that it would just sit there with a green power light blinking. I went over and tried all the fixes I got from googling "sharp blinking green light" and none of them worked. Sharp wanted to try and fix it, but I told her not to bother and just return it to QVC and get something else. I saw on Google more than one case of a person with the problem getting it fixed by Sharp only to have the same problem crop up 3 to 6 months later. With so many Holiday deals out there, I wouldn't even consider buying a Sharp anymore. Whether you decide on LCD or Plasma, do yourself a favor and stick with the major brands like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or LG.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but it annoys me to see someone say not to buy something because someone bought it and it arrived DOA. It is impossible for a company to produce a perfect product and not have a single one get sent out that doesn't have an issue.

Deal with it. Return it and order another one, or buy a different T.V. Fine, but don't tell other people never to buy it. My father has a Sharp and it has been working fine for two years.
 
:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but it annoys me to see someone say not to buy something because someone bought it and it arrived DOA. It is impossible for a company to produce a perfect product and not have a single one get sent out that doesn't have an issue.

Deal with it. Return it and order another one, or buy a different T.V. Fine, but don't tell other people never to buy it. My father has a Sharp and it has been working fine for two years.

I don't see much difference in bashing a brand over one bad experience and defending it over one good experience, but that's just me I guess.

And for the record, I did not advise Ragenrok to stay away based on one DOA TV. It was the page after page after page of results I got when I googled "sharp blinking green light" looking for a solution. This wasn't an isolated incident. This has been happening on Sharp Aquos TVs' of different models and sizes going back to at least 2007. If doing that search for yourself doesn't convince you to look elsewhere for a TV, try googling "Sharp Aquos Complaints" like one of the CNET reviewers suggests. That was enough for me, especially when you consider that you can get a top of the line brand like Samsung, Sony or Panasonic in the same price range.
 
Just looking today and it seems they're between 60,000 and 100,000 on LCD. It seems they have improved it vastly. When they first came out it was pretty bad.


Is that for its half life?



40,000 is still like 4.5 years. By that time most people get bored with it and move onto the next.

4.5 years running it 24 hours a day!

Moving on to something else that quickly seems pretty wasteful. The only thing that I replace on such a short schedule is computer parts. That I replace a lot sooner than 4.5 years but everything else lasts me a long time.

Seems like both LCD and Plasma have long lives.
 
The big downside to plasma is power consumption and size. I don't know if they still have issues with the lifespan or not. The fact that they don't have issues response issues like LCD, mainly because they don't have response time, I'd actually considered one since I'm looking for a HDTV.


To be blunt, who gives a flying shit about power consumption? Not someone who buys a 50 in TV for sure. Whats it going to come up to 50$ a year tops? Why this is brought up a long with (weight...(really? weight? do you move the thing around weekly?)...is beyond me. Not jumping at you, but these are not problems.
 
I don't see much difference in bashing a brand over one bad experience and defending it over one good experience, but that's just me I guess.

And for the record, I did not advise Ragenrok to stay away based on one DOA TV. It was the page after page after page of results I got when I googled "sharp blinking green light" looking for a solution. This wasn't an isolated incident. This has been happening on Sharp Aquos TVs' of different models and sizes going back to at least 2007. If doing that search for yourself doesn't convince you to look elsewhere for a TV, try googling "Sharp Aquos Complaints" like one of the CNET reviewers suggests. That was enough for me, especially when you consider that you can get a top of the line brand like Samsung, Sony or Panasonic in the same price range.

are you sure its the same model?

I think ive heard of that problem to but it was with a different model.

Ive only hear good thigns about the sharp I had posted.
 
I would go with a Panasonic over a Samsung if you are buying a plasma of this current generation. If you can check Costco as they often have great deals on entry level Panasonic plasmas -- also extend the warranty an extra year for free.

Panasonic took a lot of the engineers from Pioneer that worked on their Kuro line and the results have been fantastic.
 
Panasonic Plasma 1080p screen half life (until brightness halves) is 100,000 hours.
720p are 60,000 hours.
The highest LCD I have seen is 40,000 hours.


I would be interested to know how they tested this 100,000 hours on a television they designed in 2007?
 
I don't see much difference in bashing a brand over one bad experience and defending it over one good experience, but that's just me I guess.

And for the record, I did not advise Ragenrok to stay away based on one DOA TV. It was the page after page after page of results I got when I googled "sharp blinking green light" looking for a solution. This wasn't an isolated incident. This has been happening on Sharp Aquos TVs' of different models and sizes going back to at least 2007. If doing that search for yourself doesn't convince you to look elsewhere for a TV, try googling "Sharp Aquos Complaints" like one of the CNET reviewers suggests. That was enough for me, especially when you consider that you can get a top of the line brand like Samsung, Sony or Panasonic in the same price range.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with posting a good experience or a bad experience of a T.V. But telling people about ONE bad experience and then telling them because of that they should never buy that T.V. is pretty lame. I see it all the time with all sorts of things and I just get sick of it.

Go look up most any set and you're going to find common issues with them. At least I have while I've been trying to pick out a 40" LCD lately.

To be blunt, who gives a flying shit about power consumption? Not someone who buys a 50 in TV for sure. Whats it going to come up to 50$ a year tops? Why this is brought up a long with (weight...(really? weight? do you move the thing around weekly?)...is beyond me. Not jumping at you, but these are not problems.

I have posted, more than once, in this thread that I consider it a nit pick at best. However, to some people it's not and I thought that someone in the market for one should know that it does have higher power consumption. Even if it's a nit pick.
 
I would be interested to know how they tested this 100,000 hours on a television they designed in 2007?

Me too but you gotta ask the same question for all of the displays.
I can tell you that my 42" 1080p panny plasma has been running at "over" 16hr/day average for 1.5+ years and its better than new!

ie when new you have to be careful with burn in.
Now, I literally can do what I like and it doesnt matter.
Played 6 hours straight of Dragon Age yesterday and no image retention that I can see.
 
Played 6 hours straight of Dragon Age yesterday and no image retention that I can see.

I know it's off topic, but how is that game? The commercials made it look badass, but I checked out some gameplay videos and wasn't too impressed.
 
Now, I literally can do what I like and it doesnt matter.
Played 6 hours straight of Dragon Age yesterday and no image retention that I can see.

So true -- I passed out playing Dragon Age on my panny plasma and woke up 9 hours later with the screen being paused for that long -- no issues whatsoever.
 
Contact the manufacturer.

Obviously, they cannot run it for 100,000 hours. They do simulations.

Sure they can do simulations...and the scientific supercomputing market is huge for chinese television manufactuerers. But i'm basically implying they pull these numbers out of their asses.


TV GUY: "our televisions last for 100,000 hours"

CONSUMER: "have you ever had any actually last that long?"

TV GUY: "well check back in 15 years, but i'm sure they will"
 
I just went with my bro up to his wholesaler as he's a TV Dealer and I looked at several Flatpanels from Plasma to Led, to standard LCD, 120Hz, 240hz..etc. and out of all the tv's only 1 stood out to be the best and let me just say this..i'll put my $ on this TV any day of the week over the crap you get at Best buy, etc.

The Mitsubishi 240hz LCD took the win over Plasma and even the LED TV's and i'm talking top of the line LG's and Toshiba Regzas and Samsungs....not one of them could hold a candle to this TV.

The Color, black levels and Depth were unbelievable and in case anyone asks, we looked at the same demo from the same source on all the tv's.

My bro kept telling me for the past couple of months that Mitsu has come a long way and have even trumped Pioneer Kuro in visual experience...how do I know..well my bro has a top of the line Pioneer Kuro and a Toshiba Regza LED and the Mitsu hands down had the best picture with only the led taking a little better black level, however not one TV could come close to the depth this tv offers. It's almost like looking at a 3d TV. I never seen anything like it.

I loved it so much that I ordered one and it will be in the next two weeks. Also, I talked to the sales guys there and everyone of their Pioneer Dealers, including my Brother, has replaced the Kuro line with the Mitsu line as their "high-end" flat panel line.

Check for yourselves..you owe it to see what i'm talking about. I was very skeptical, but now am a believer.
 
I just went with my bro up to his wholesaler as he's a TV Dealer and I looked at several Flatpanels from Plasma to Led, to standard LCD, 120Hz, 240hz..etc. and out of all the tv's only 1 stood out to be the best and let me just say this..i'll put my $ on this TV any day of the week over the crap you get at Best buy, etc.

The Mitsubishi 240hz LCD took the win over Plasma and even the LED TV's and i'm talking top of the line LG's and Toshiba Regzas and Samsungs....not one of them could hold a candle to this TV.

The Color, black levels and Depth were unbelievable and in case anyone asks, we looked at the same demo from the same source on all the tv's.

My bro kept telling me for the past couple of months that Mitsu has come a long way and have even trumped Pioneer Kuro in visual experience...how do I know..well my bro has a top of the line Pioneer Kuro and a Toshiba Regza LED and the Mitsu hands down had the best picture with only the led taking a little better black level, however not one TV could come close to the depth this tv offers. It's almost like looking at a 3d TV. I never seen anything like it.

I loved it so much that I ordered one and it will be in the next two weeks. Also, I talked to the sales guys there and everyone of their Pioneer Dealers, including my Brother, has replaced the Kuro line with the Mitsu line as their "high-end" flat panel line.

Check for yourselves..you owe it to see what i'm talking about. I was very skeptical, but now am a believer.

soooo...is mitsu still hiring? any tips for the interview?
 
soooo...is mitsu still hiring? any tips for the interview?

You're funny. I don't sell TV's...I only watch them...and anything I stated wouldn't gain me anything other than recommending looking at other TVs than the normal Samsung/Sony flatpanels that are pushed here.

Everyone should know what's out there and should be able to compare ALL models. BTW..not to be misleading...I was referring to the Mitsu Medallion and Premier series.
 
Last edited:
hehe Ive been deabting which tv I can get on a budget and just realized bestbuy's awsome price gaurantee.

There selling a samsung 50" plasma (PN50B540) for $1400, walmart has it for $1296, not only does bestbuy have to match that but they have to knock off another 10% making it affordable for me now lol.

Since I cant afford nice 120/240hz LCD sets plasmas my next best bet for a good 1080P tv for blu-ray with no motion blurring
 
hehe Ive been deabting which tv I can get on a budget and just realized bestbuy's awsome price gaurantee.

There selling a samsung 50" plasma (PN50B540) for $1400, walmart has it for $1296, not only does bestbuy have to match that but they have to knock off another 10% making it affordable for me now lol.

Since I cant afford nice 120/240hz LCD sets plasmas my next best bet for a good 1080P tv for blu-ray with no motion blurring

I picked up my 50in 1080p Panasonic plasma for around $950 at Costco three months ago.... You can get a 54in for $1500 right now from them. You should be able to find a much better deal than that. I would expect to pay right around 1k flat for a 50in 1080p plasma, maybe less.
 
I picked up my 50in 1080p Panasonic plasma for around $950 at Costco three months ago.... You can get a 54in for $1500 right now from them. You should be able to find a much better deal than that. I would expect to pay right around 1k flat for a 50in 1080p plasma, maybe less.

canadian not US. If I could get TV's from the US I would be in heavin lol
 
The Mitsubishi 240hz LCD took the win over Plasma and even the LED TV's and i'm talking top of the line LG's and Toshiba Regzas and Samsungs....not one of them could hold a candle to this TV.

What model specifically are you talking about? I'm very surprised that a standard edge lit LCD can come close to plasmas in dark levels. Some of the LED backlit with local dimming displays are getting closer, but the plasmas have always won from what I've seen. Were you in a proper viewing environment or under a bunch of florescent lights on a showroom floor with all the brightnesses cranked up?

Haven't read any buzz about this on the a/v forums, so I'd be curious to see what you've found.
 
What model specifically are you talking about? I'm very surprised that a standard edge lit LCD can come close to plasmas in dark levels. Some of the LED backlit with local dimming displays are getting closer, but the plasmas have always won from what I've seen. Were you in a proper viewing environment or under a bunch of florescent lights on a showroom floor with all the brightnesses cranked up?

Haven't read any buzz about this on the a/v forums, so I'd be curious to see what you've found.

This is the Medallion Series and the one I bought (120hz btw, which still looked great)
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/LT52153

This is the Premier series which they also had a demo of:
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/LT52249

Both were in a Seperate rooms, and watched them both with lights on and off.

The big thing I wanted to point out with this TV was the depth. It can adjust colors in the backround to simulate depth and let me just say it works. We watched a demo 1080p of Star Trek, the seen where Kirk steels the car and races toward the canyon and I swear it looked so real. Then we watched 1080p of Monsters INC..again,the depth was just amazing.

They showed a 4:3 static picture on the screen and it was a HD picture of the Space shuttle at night and you couldn't even see the bars on both sides nor did you see any greying effect around the lines of the Shuttle..like you normally see on other LCD's. It was pretty nice.
 
Last edited:
what I find interesting, is that you describe it almost as the pinnacle of tv technology ("not one of them could hold a candle")

yet that link you posted, which goes directly to Mitsubishi, has a review posted that doesn't describe it in the same way.



just as a quick fix, their performance rating for the tv was an 8 out of 10 and the overall score was also an 8 out of 10
 
what I find interesting, is that you describe it almost as the pinnacle of tv technology ("not one of them could hold a candle")

yet that link you posted, which goes directly to Mitsubishi, has a review posted that doesn't describe it in the same way.



just as a quick fix, their performance rating for the tv was an 8 out of 10 and the overall score was also an 8 out of 10

First off, lets get one thing straight..I never said it was the "pinnicle of technology" or described it that way, that's just a ludicrous statement..however, I will say this, not one TV I compared it to could hold a candle.

Secondly, the review is meaningless. I'm a person that needs to see it myself so I can make the best decision on my purchases for me.

Lastly, what did I say in my orignal post? Did I say buy this TV and don't see for yourself? No, I said you owe it to yourselves to compare all models of TV's. Look through this post and you'll see Samsung and Sony being pushed, yet these users aren't critized for recommneding these Flat Panels without comparison information. Not only that but I spoke with 3 other people that have the Mitsubishi, why they chose it, what they compared it too etc. Bottom line is, I do my research on everything before I buy it. I am the guy that goes back and forth to the store without purchasing to make sure that i'm getting what I pay for. What's funny is I was going up to the warehouse to buy a Samsung Led TV becuase I was sold on it's capabilities and quality, however, I had a chance to compare it to other TV's that Best Buy and the bigger stores do not carry.

My point is quite simple, there are other TV's out there besides Sony and Samsung that big stores may not carry, like the MItsubishi that should be considered and COMPARED.
 
Last edited:
Well i ordered a samsung PN50B540 today, it will be here next week.

After reading the AVS forums I found this neat little bit of info

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175569

turns out you can get into the service menu and change the 540 into a 560 and unlock the extra features as they use the same panels and its only the firmware the makes them different (exluding extra connections and such)
 
Well i ordered a samsung PN50B540 today, it will be here next week.

After reading the AVS forums I found this neat little bit of info

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175569

turns out you can get into the service menu and change the 540 into a 560 and unlock the extra features as they use the same panels and its only the firmware the makes them different (exluding extra connections and such)

Lucky you. Good luck with the TV, let us know how it is.
 
Ok now I have pretty decent versions of both technologies. Just finished watching T2 Skynet Ed. on the new lcd I got this morning.

Models:
Plasma = Samsung PN50B650
LCD = LG 47LH90 240hz backlit LED

No in-depth review, just what I've noticed. Blacks were impressive on the LCD, not quite as good as the plasma, but still pretty impressive. The "240hz" TruMotion is just a gimmick like everyone says, at least on this tv. To me it looked like some kind of cloaking distortion effect surrounded fast moving objects. Turned it off completely and it looked a lot better. Again though, a little distortion is visible at times with fast moving objects or swift camera moving.

Overall though very pleased with the LH90, but I do think my plasma is still the better TV, and you can get them for about $300 less than the lcd.
 
Bought the Samsung PN50B650, should arrive tomorrow (hopefully, we're having some icy rain tonight and tomorrow, and I'm hoping it doesn't delay the delivery)

I'm probably not going to do any breakin while i'm actually using the TV, but when i'm at work I'll be running this break-in DVD iso that I burned, that basically shows full screens of red/green/blue repeatedly

also since i bought this tv "NEW" off ebay, i'm going to check the service menu when I get it turned on to see what the hours of use says, and I heard that you can reset that :( and i hope I don't have any dead pixels, or loud buzzing/bad image retention issues. i've been reading the PN50B650 owner's thread at avsforum and it seems like some people have terrible long-lasting IR and others have IR that lasts for maybe 3-4 seconds

another thing with regards to the panasonic NeoPDP plasmas vs the latest samsung models, the panasonics from what I've read exhibit some phosphor trailing which the samsungs seem to be a lot better about, and the samsungs have better colors, but not as good black levels as the panasonics (though both are supposedly better at blacks than edge lit LCD's, and many full LED LCD's)
 
Have any of you guys tried any of the new Panasonic LCDs with the IPS-Alpha panels? I really don't like LCD but they seem to have caught up a bit with this latest round.
 
Yes and it looks terrible. Blacks are grey. I swapped it out for the Samsung 32B360 and blacks are black. Text looks MUCH better as well. The Pannny couldn't do full res, so it was always crap for the HTPC.

I just picked up a Panasonic 42S1 and somethings gotta be broke, because the blacks look grey. The borders on movies have a brighter glow than the LCD did. :( Here, see?

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg
 
Back
Top