Plasma TVs

mclebron23

n00b
Im a little confused.... If plasmas have everything CRT, TUBES have, good colour, no lag or ghosting, ect. plus they obviously have the benefit of being thin HDTVs. This brings me to one question... Why is everyone waiting for OLED TVs? whats better about OLEDs over a Plasma? i know about the burn in problem Plasmas have but supposively that doesnt happen anymore with the newer plasma displays.

If someone can explain my question to me i would appreciate it, Thanks.

Energy Consumption & brightness.

I think OLED would merge the advantages of both Plasma and LCD into the ultimate display technology.

Energy Consumption & brightness.

I think OLED would merge the advantages of both Plasma and LCD into the ultimate display technology.

ok thanks for the reply. but i heard that OLEDs color fades after a year or something...and does plasmas use more power than CRT/TUBES?

Early OLED colors did fade after while (but not a year) which is why they only came on small car stereos but now they last much much longer but it is an expensive process to make large TV screens. Plasmas do use more power than CRT TVs and LCD (but not to much more), the new Panasonic plasmas use much less now and are very cheap to get. I say get a plasma, I use mine as my secondary computer monitor.

Early OLED colors did fade after while (but not a year) which is why they only came on small car stereos but now they last much much longer but it is an expensive process to make large TV screens. Plasmas do use more power than CRT TVs and LCD (but not to much more), the new Panasonic plasmas use much less now and are very cheap to get. I say get a plasma, I use mine as my secondary computer monitor.

thanks. How is the burn in on plasmas nowadays? are they good for gaming? and if i left it on for a day straight would it burn in?

well if you left it on for a day, there would be no burn in, but image retention (not permanent burn in) that you can wash away by playing something else.

I use a plasma as a secondary monitor also (by DVI @1366x768) and I recommend them over lcds. Depends on what you like, though. I know some of my friends prefer the mega bright image of lcds.

thanks. How is the burn in on plasmas nowadays? are they good for gaming? and if i left it on for a day straight would it burn in?

Ive been using a 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma for a little over 2 years, gaming heavily on it, I don't treat it any different than my CRT's and haven't had any burn in / Image retention issues and the picture quality / black levels are fantastic. (PS3/Wii/360)

Ive been using a 50" Pioneer Kuro plasma for a little over 2 years, gaming heavily on it, I don't treat it any different than my CRT's and haven't had any burn in / Image retention issues and the picture quality / black levels are fantastic. (PS3/Wii/360)

Thanks man. whats the smallest plasmas on the market? i wanted an monitor for console gaming but i want it under 30 inches...i dont think they make plasmas under 30 tho.

42" is the smallest plasma so if you are going for <30" you have to get an LCD

To the best of my knowledge:

The smallest Plasma HDTV you can buy is 32", however the resolution is limited to 852 * 480.

Next up are 37" Plasma HDTVs, but they are 720p resolution.

The smallest 1080p Plasma HDTV start at 42".

feel free to correct me, but I've read that OLED's have similar burn in issues (actually, as of this moment they're worse) to plasmas

from sharp's website:

Positive OLED Characteristics:

* Since it is a light emitter, it creates light that is Lambertian so it can be seen uniformly at all angles and gives a very pleasing effect.
* The biggest strength of OLEDs is that they do not require a backlight and can be made thinner than any other technology used today. A 2 mm thick OLED is a reality today where the thinnest LCD is 3 mm.

Negative OLED Characteristics:

* Dynamic display efficiency. While you can write a few lines of static text with great efficiency, video requires more power than an LCD. OLEDs are more efficient for small graphics or text because they only consume power in the area where they are addressed.
* To date, the reliability has not come up to the levels of LCDs.
* It is particularly difficult to drive the blue colors where the luminance efficiency is very low. As a consequence, the lifetime is reduced, and burn-in is also an issue.

OLED can achieve perfect black and is much more power efficient.
A pixel from a plasma TV can not turn off completely, thus producing pure black.
This is something that OLED can do.

It will take a long time (if ever) before we will be able to buy 50" or larger OLED at a competitive price.
No need to wait IMO, the discontinued Pioneer KRP-500M or KRP-600M are great Plasma (if you can find one).

You can still buy Kuros on pioneer's website, and the prices have been a bit marked down

I believe the 50" is around 3999, which is about a grand cheaper than it was last year

Plasma can burn in if you all you watch is 4:3 unstretched. I have an aunt with a year old Samsung plasma and watches 4:3 and you can see the burned-in sides whenever my cousin plays video games.

Back