Jun 8, 2005 #1 P poddo 2005 [H]orde|Bowl Champion Joined May 1, 2005 Messages 464 Has anyone tried cutting thin-ish aluminum alloy with a plasma cutter? (for a case window) My Dad has one, but I wasn't sure if it would work cleanly and I don't want to waste my 100 dollar case if it won't look right.
Has anyone tried cutting thin-ish aluminum alloy with a plasma cutter? (for a case window) My Dad has one, but I wasn't sure if it would work cleanly and I don't want to waste my 100 dollar case if it won't look right.
Jun 8, 2005 #2 M Moose777 2[H]4U Joined Oct 10, 2004 Messages 2,741 I believe a plasma cutter would melt the aluminum, I'm not sure though as I don't work with metal too often.
I believe a plasma cutter would melt the aluminum, I'm not sure though as I don't work with metal too often.
Jun 8, 2005 #3 P poddo 2005 [H]orde|Bowl Champion Joined May 1, 2005 Messages 464 Thanks. I found here that it should be able to cut it, but im not interested in the risk. I'll just use a jig saw.
Thanks. I found here that it should be able to cut it, but im not interested in the risk. I'll just use a jig saw.
Jun 8, 2005 #4 S SarverSystems Supreme [H]ardness Joined Feb 9, 2002 Messages 7,408 Fir thin metal, just use some hand tools, or small power tools, like a jigsaw as you intend to use. A plasma cutter is waaay overkill for that.
Fir thin metal, just use some hand tools, or small power tools, like a jigsaw as you intend to use. A plasma cutter is waaay overkill for that.
Jun 8, 2005 #5 S SpangeMonkee [H]ard|Gawd Joined Dec 18, 2001 Messages 1,435 deffinately overkill, plus it doesn't leave a very clean edge. you'd have to grind it down to get it straight. jgsaw is the way to go.
deffinately overkill, plus it doesn't leave a very clean edge. you'd have to grind it down to get it straight. jgsaw is the way to go.