• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Plasma Burn In

MAULxx

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
58
I've had a Panasonic st30 for about 4 months now & I think I have burn in.

I was getting slightly frustrated when using my PC browser because when the pixel orbiting happens the text goes fuzzy then back to clear so I did the one thing I shouldn't have. I went in & disabled orbiting. I know it was stupid but I thought eh, I'll turn it back on later. A few days of web browsing & clear text & I now have a browser horizontal line near the top of the screen & one near the bottom with a few task bar icons for good measure. They are noticable on a white or light colored screen & they look kind of greenish. This bugs me worse than the orbiting.
I've played some video games & ran some full screen stuff for a few nights while I slept but it's still there. It's not quite as bad as it was. I have enabled orbiter.

My question is...
What are some things I can do to fix this if it's possible to fix?

I'm currently running the Dnice break in slides & settings just to see if that works.
You think a hundred hours would go toward diminishing the burn in?

Needless to say I have learned my lesson about leaving the orbiting enabled.
 
Believe it or not:

Find a channel with nothing but the white noise fuzzies on it. Make sure that fills the entire screen. Let it run for several hours.

Be conservative with brighthness and contrast settings.

AVS and forums like that probably have dedicated threads for your set. Look for those threads and get some settings and calibration tips there. :)


Orbiter on always. :)
 
Hey thanks for the reply. Actually I already posted in that thread but I'm just anxious :)
I switched from using slides to a website that is just a blank white page using the PS3 web browser because you can fill the entire screen by zooming in & hiding the cursor http://www.mantatech.com/manta/blankwht.htm

I'm not sure how to get a static/snowy channel like you said cause I don't have any form of actual TV programing.
My TV just goes to a black screen the second it shows the static from a dead channel.

What do you mean "be conservative with brighthness and contrast settings"? I got contrast cranked, I thought it might "wash" quicker. Is that a wrong assumption?
 
you might want to check the menu on the set itself, my plasma "insignia" has a burn in program, basically a grey bar that slides across the screen for as long as you like.

A side note, after switching from LCD to plasma, I must say, plasma image quality is far superior IMO, blacks are black and the brightness is crisp.
 
It has a scrolling bar but it doesn't run infinite. I didn't time it but it stops in 20-30 min which I think is odd.
 
Reduce screen brightness for an extended period.
Run sweeper.
Hook up a pair of rabbit ears for analog channel static.
Let it cool for a while. Heat makes IR worse.
 
What do you mean "be conservative with brighthness and contrast settings"? I got contrast cranked, I thought it might "wash" quicker. Is that a wrong assumption?

The folks in that thread will steer you right but "cranking the contrast" typically isn't advised.
 
Also set a blank windows screen saver to run after just a few minutes of inactivity.

The advice about turning onto a TV channel with white snow fuzzies was a great idea, much better than break-in slides. Do that for a *few* hours then check it, you may have to run it a second time, but as mentioned before, be careful because heat makes image-retention worse.

Btw OP, it's known as image retention (IR), something a whole lot less serious and much more reversable than burn-in. To be honest i don't ever recall seeing true burn in on a plasma, but i've seen it plenty of times on LCD monitors and a couple of LCD TV's.
 
I can't get a snowy picture.
I connected an antenna but no analog channels found, only digital.
Shows fuzz only for a split second & then my tv auto goes to black.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top