• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

plasma burn in and jscreenfix

dsystem

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
136
Brand new lg 50"
I paused msnbc and got distracted
Came back unpaused and didnt think about it.
This morning while watching the new Richard Pryor special I noticed it. Across the top of the screen a faint dark band.

Ran a bit of static for about 10 minutes until the tvs auto shutoff kicked in.

Currently running jscreenfix.
To those who have used it, how long did you run it for? I read you need to do twice the time the static image was displayed.

Any issues with the fact that the java app is not native 1080. I can see areas where the full screen option is adding a vertical and horizontal bar to make it run at 1080.
 
LG plasmas are notorious for IR and burn-in. Static and JScreenFix have no effect on plasma.

You need to run side scrolling bar similar to the vid below. Make sure to switch to the brightest image mode (usually dynamic) and set the contrast to maximum.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LegAkKYOQTc
 
Last edited:
Thank you i will try that.
Is this similar to the built in color wash under the ISM options page?
ISM>
Normal>
Orbital >
Color Wash

I should also mention that I have been using it a full brightness already. Which is apparently very very bad.

I am afraid I may have permanently ruined it.
 
Color wash is pretty useless. Setting contrast to maximum (peak brightness) is not recommended (especially on LG panels).

If you can see it when the TV is off, then its permanent. There's nothing you can do to fix it. But if you can't see it, then it just IR, which will fade in time.
 
Color wash is pretty useless. Setting contrast to maximum (peak brightness) is not recommended (especially on LG panels).

If you can see it when the TV is off, then its permanent. There's nothing you can do to fix it. But if you can't see it, then it just IR, which will fade in time.

Ahhhhhh thank you that is the most concise explanation between the differences of the two types I have read.
 
So I can not tell if it is there when the power is off, any tricks?
I tried a fleshlight.
 
Then it fine. It's not permanent. Even on LG, you'll have to leave an image paused for hours for it to burn.

Just relax and enjoy the TV. If you want to get rid it, run the scrolling video I posted.
 
Color wash is pretty useless. Setting contrast to maximum (peak brightness) is not recommended (especially on LG panels).

If you can see it when the TV is off, then its permanent. There's nothing you can do to fix it. But if you can't see it, then it just IR, which will fade in time.

I have a 60" LG Plasma.

I find that if a static image is left on the screen for 5-10 minutes, I can shut off the plasma and see it. Turning the plasma back on and either running color wash or other content clears it quickly however.

So being able to see it with the TV off is not necessary permanent. Though permanent burn in is very easy to see with the plasma off, at least on the old NEC plasmas we have out at work that have been so horribly.. horribly burned.
 
Then it fine. It's not permanent. Even on LG, you'll have to leave an image paused for hours for it to burn.

Just relax and enjoy the TV. If you want to get rid it, run the scrolling video I posted.


It actually was paused for a few hours...

I have ran just about everything I can find, though not for the 20+ hours some forums have suggested.

It looks like it has lightened a small bit, and you really have to look for it to see it but I find I am constantly looking for it. Like a chip in a windshield.

I am now afraid to watch anything with a large static logo/banner, especially since I do often get up and forget all about it.

You know I was under the impression that plasma did not get burn in the way they used to.
 
I have a 60" LG Plasma.

I find that if a static image is left on the screen for 5-10 minutes, I can shut off the plasma and see it. Turning the plasma back on and either running color wash or other content clears it quickly however.

So being able to see it with the TV off is not necessary permanent. Though permanent burn in is very easy to see with the plasma off, at least on the old NEC plasmas we have out at work that have been so horribly.. horribly burned.

How long do you run the color wash for?
I have read conflicting posts about running it short and sparingly vs long washes.
 
I just thought of another question.

The brightness/color options from the ATI CCC:

Does that have any effect when trying to fix a screen? Should I try to pump it up as high as it will go as well?
Logically I am thinking no, since the burn in is on the panel it self and I am just adjusting the signal before it hits the panels CPU.
 
I have a 60" LG Plasma.

I find that if a static image is left on the screen for 5-10 minutes, I can shut off the plasma and see it. Turning the plasma back on and either running color wash or other content clears it quickly however.

So being able to see it with the TV off is not necessary permanent. Though permanent burn in is very easy to see with the plasma off, at least on the old NEC plasmas we have out at work that have been so horribly.. horribly burned.

You might see residual charge (especially at night). Actual burn is very obvious. It's like someone wrote/drew on the panel.

Thankfully its a rare occurrence these-days. I treat my Panasonic plasma like an LCD.
 
You know I was under the impression that plasma did not get burn in the way they used to.

That only applies to Samsung and Panasonic plasmas. LG stopped plasma R&D years ago.

Best thing to do is ignore and use the TV normally. It will get better. Also, resistance to IR and burn-in improve with age.

@Nielo TM

Hope you don't mind I am borrowing your template for my sig :D

no worries
 
Funny I was actually looking at the new 50"/60" Samsung panels, but I had to take what was in stock at my local brick and mortar.

I hope it does even out, on the bright side it was cheap no smart/3D features. Should hold me over till 4k comes of age and the cable companies start broadcasting content.
 
Back
Top