Planning to upgrade, do I need XP x64?

Matrox462

Gawd
I'm planning on removing my OEM board and CPU & Memory, and replacing those three with something faster. I'm planning on moving from a P4 to an AMD Athlon 64. Since I never had a 64bit CPU, I never read up much about the 64bit version of Windows. Can anyone explain to me what the differeneces are, and if I need it? Also, on a related question, can I still legally use the OEM version of Windows XP that came with this computer if it's no longer installed on any other system? Or is it permanently tied to that mobo/cpu? I don't need to use a restore CD, I have the a standard OEM Windows XP installation for that computer.

Thanks! :)

x64 currently has very little support, so i dont recommend wasting money on it. there is hardly a performance gain.

no, you cant use that OEM copy. its tied to your mobo. youre stuck buying a new copy. :(

TSS Modder said:
x64 currently has very little support, so i dont recommend wasting money on it. there is hardly a performance gain.

no, you cant use that OEM copy. its tied to your mobo. youre stuck buying a new copy. :(

Thanks for the responce.

That sucks... are you sure it can't be legally used? What happens if my motherboard was to fry, and I had to use some generic replacement? Would I really be expected to buy a whole new OS too? :confused:

I would totally understand if I was continuing to use it on the old motherboard, but it'll be parted and sold for parts.

You can purchase an OEM copy of Windows from many retailers by also purchasing approved hardware such as a hard drive, cpu, mouse, etc. So it's not tied to the motherboard (for a complete prebuilt system). It's tied to the computer serial number. But then so is the OEM motherboard and all the other OEM components. Changing any of the components and using your OEM copy without proper approval and authorization from Microsoft would violate the licensing agreement. If you have registered your copy of Windows, you can call the tech support number for Microsoft and request that they allow the hardware changes being made in order to keep your OEM version legit.

I have both 32 and 64bit versions running on my system. x64 is a long way off from being mainstream. We'll see Windows Vista in widespread use before any major software and hardware support happens with the Windows 64bit projects.

DejaWiz said:
You can purchase an OEM copy of Windows from many retailers by also purchasing approved hardware such as a hard drive, cpu, mouse, etc. So it's not tied to the motherboard (for a complete prebuilt system). It's tied to the computer serial number. But then so is the OEM motherboard and all the other OEM components. Changing any of the components and using your OEM copy without proper approval and authorization from Microsoft would violate the licensing agreement. If you have registered your copy of Windows, you can call the tech support number for Microsoft and request that they allow the hardware changes being made in order to keep your OEM version legit.

I have both 32 and 64bit versions running on my system. x64 is a long way off from being mainstream. We'll see Windows Vista in widespread use before any major software and hardware support happens with the Windows 64bit projects.

Not according to Microsoft. It is tied to the motherboard. They have however said that if you replaced it with a like model in the event of a warranty replacement then the license is legally transfereable in a sense under those circumstances. I have had this conversation with Microsoft persons who work in the OEM distribution channels.

You can buy OEM software with ANY piece of hardware. However once installed it goes with the motherboard. Its the component they deemed was more of the computer than anything else. Plus the least likely thing to be upgraded over the course of the machines life. Although we the enthusiest are the exception to that rule. I upgrade harddrives the least personally.

I have Windows XP X64 Edition and its still got a couple issues. Lack of driver support for alot of hardware being the main one. The VIVO functions of my 7800GTX are such a casualty.

Matrox462 said:
I'm planning on removing my OEM board and CPU & Memory, and replacing those three with something faster. I'm planning on moving from a P4 to an AMD Athlon 64. Since I never had a 64bit CPU, I never read up much about the 64bit version of Windows. Can anyone explain to me what the differeneces are, and if I need it? Also, on a related question, can I still legally use the OEM version of Windows XP that came with this computer if it's no longer installed on any other system? Or is it permanently tied to that mobo/cpu? I don't need to use a restore CD, I have the a standard OEM Windows XP installation for that computer.

Thanks! :)

According to my conversations with Microsoft reps, you can not use the OS for any other machine after its been installed legally. Now, that being said. They don't actually know what the OS is tied to in all reality. They have no way of tracking that. Theres alot of grey areas in reference to this issue also. Like if your mobo dies and the old board isn't available as a replacement. You've got to replace it with something. Microsoft has agreed to take these situations on a case by case basis. Simply call them and explain yourself if you feel you need to and you can get the tech to "transfer the license" to another mobo.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Not according to Microsoft. It is tied to the motherboard. They have however said that if you replaced it with a like model in the event of a warranty replacement then the license is legally transfereable in a sense under those circumstances. I have had this conversation with Microsoft persons who work in the OEM distribution channels.

You can buy OEM software with ANY piece of hardware. However once installed it goes with the motherboard. Its the component they deemed was more of the computer than anything else. Plus the least likely thing to be upgraded over the course of the machines life. Although we the enthusiest are the exception to that rule. I upgrade harddrives the least personally.

According to my conversations with Microsoft reps, you can not use the OS for any other machine after its been installed legally. Now, that being said. They don't actually know what the OS is tied to in all reality. They have no way of tracking that. Theres alot of grey areas in reference to this issue also. Like if your mobo dies and the old board isn't available as a replacement. You've got to replace it with something. Microsoft has agreed to take these situations on a case by case basis. Simply call them and explain yourself if you feel you need to and you can get the tech to "transfer the license" to another mobo.
AHA! I stand corrected. I had forgotten that Microsoft did a complete revamp of their licensing policies in 2003 when the use of the stick-on COA label was required by all OEM computer manufacturers (including the one I work for ;) ). On a side note, I believe there is a built in counter that tracks hardware changes in XP that will require reactivation if a certain number of legitimate hardware changes are made.

Regardless of what Microsoft says what you can and cant do, If you have one of those EOM computers it is possible that you have a copy of Windows that will only work with that particular brand of computer. I believe Compaq is one of those, you cant transfer it over to anything other than a Compaq branded computer, it just wont let you install it on anything else. I had this problemwhen the motherboard went out on a friends computer, we replaced the MB with one from ECS and we had to get a new copy of Windows also, as the version that came with the computer wouldn't let us intall it because it was no longer a compaq.
It basicly depends on what type of OEM version you have if you can switch it over or not.

Back