• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Planning on upgrading, need advice...

zoombini

n00b
Joined
May 18, 2009
Messages
20
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I'll be using my PC mainly for gaming, web browsing, programming, etc.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'd like to keep it between $450-$600.
3) Where do you live?
New York
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
This will be an upgrade still rockin' an Athlon 2400.... Anyway, I'll be looking for a CPU, Mobo, RAM, and a video card.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I currently have a 420w PSU (Thermaltake PurePower), will be using a 160 IDE HD (will probably get an IDE->SATA converter, as I want to spend as much on the other parts until I get a better hard drive).
6) Will you be overclocking?
The CPU, sure...
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I already have a Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
As soon as possible.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Nothing in particular, SLI/Crossfire might be nice if I decide to sometime in the future.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes.


Here's what I'm looking at so far:
Video Card
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4890 1GB DDR5 2DVI PCI-Express Video Card ($180)
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-4890_1G

CPU - realize that I don't plan on upgrading for a few years.
Either a
E8400 ($169ish) or an
i7 from Microcenter (@$199 today)

Mobo
I'm not looking into anything in particular right now, but there's an 1366 Mobo on sale..
here: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U4P&src=DC&src=DC&sid=u0t1359425f0fp0c0s1056
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CorssFireX & 3-Way SLI/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard ($184ish?)

RAM
Not looking at anything in particular either, but it shouldn't be hard to find 4GB of DDR2 for a relatively cheap price.

In regards to my current power supply, will 420W suffice or will I need to upgrade that too?

Thanks, and I look forward your replies and suggestions!
 
If you go the i7 route, keep in mind that you need DDR3 and a fairly beefy PSU to overclock with. I don't believe you'll be able to assemble a full build for under $500, but one can try...

Why not consider the new Phenom II(AM3)?
 
A core i7 920 although on sale for $200 is waay over his budget. But, a Phenom II X3 720BE build will do just nicely for that budget

By the way, you need to dump that 420W purepower PSU
 
$200 - i7 920 @ MC
$204 - Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
$95 - 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
$110 - Radeon 4850
$75 - Antec EA650 650W

TOTAL: $684 before shipping, taxes, rebates
 
Phenom II X3 720BE build killer combos

CPU/MOBO - AMD Phenom II X3 720 + GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 both for $219
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190734

PSU/VIDEO – Antec EA650 + EVGA Geforce GTX 260(216) both for $240 ($25 MIR on video card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.194124

RAM/HDD – OCZ Fatal1ty Ediition 4gig DDR2 1066 + WD6401AALS 640gig both for $120 ($10 MIR on ram)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.193831

HEATSINK – Xigmatek Darknight-S1283V for $40 w/free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029


Total: $619
 
HG's build is nice. It will play games better than the i7 build by PC_User. It should last you a while.

The HD4850 is a bit lacking for a gaming system on a 22" these days. If you go with i7, at least find more money for an HD4870 1GB or HD4890.
 
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I will be going with the Phenom II rather than a Core i7.

I'm building this computer to last me awhile, and with the possibility of upgrades in mind.
With that said, I've been looking at both the Phenom II X4 940 (AM2+), and the Phenom IIX3 720 (AM3). I feel that the AM3 socket is desirable (correct me if I'm wrong) if I'm looking into the future (DDR3, better AM3 processors in the future).

So with that said, I'm looking at these CPU combos:
1. AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition
BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190736 @ $249.98

2. AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190732 @ $269.98

and lastly, the AM3
3. AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190879 @ $253.99
-

For my video card, I am currently looking at
1. XFX Radeon HD 4850. If I do get this, my plan is to Crossfire them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150348&Tpk=XFX HD-485X-YDDC Radeon HD 4850 @ $120, so $240 for two.

2. Sapphire Radeon HD4890
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-4890_1G @ $180.
My plan, if I decide to get an HD4890, is to Crossfire it sometime down the line when HD4890s get cheaper.

3. BFG Tech GeForce GTX 275 896MB
@ $250
-

I have nothing in mind for RAM or my PSU. I'm not sure what kind of wattage I should be looking at. Modular would be nice. How much should a 3x2GB DDR3 kit cost me?

Thanks!
 
IIRC, the 790X OC's better than the 790GX. The GX has onboard graphics, which you probably don't need, though it is cheaper. The X3 720 + 790GX Asus isn't worth its price considering the X4 940 + 790GX Biostar combo's price.

No point in Crossfiring 2x HD4850's for a 22" screen, IMO. You're better off with a single HD4850X2 for $240, or a single HD4870 1GB and just turn down the AA.

Any DDR2-800 or DDR2-1000/1066 kit at CL5 or lower will do fine. Don't pay more than $50 for 2x2GB.

BTW, I meant to ask earlier... how was your logical journey? :p
 
Thanks for all the replies..here's what I have now:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX - Retail
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190732
$269.98

PSU: PC Power and Cooling S75QB Silencer 750W Quad Power Supply (Black) Retail
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005611&prodlist=celebros
$99.99 ($69.99 after MIR)

Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4890 1GB DDR5 2DVI PCI-Express Video Card, Retail
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-4890_1G
$220 - $20 (coupon code) = $200 ($180 after MIR)


RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
$55.99

-----
Total: $575.96
Before MIR: $625.96

How far will the stock heatsink/fan get me? Will I need an aftermarket cooler?
 
Not sure how far it will get you, but I believe it comes with the heatpipe version of AMD's stock cooler, which should get you farther than the aluminum block that comes with lower end CPUs.

If you decide to get a better one,
$42 - Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm
 
You should get an aftermarket CPU cooler anyways. Go with HardwareGuru's recommendations on the video card, power supply, and CPU cooler. Together with your processor, motherboard, and RAM selections, the total (before taxes, shipping, or rebates) drops down to around $608.

Do you have any extra money that you could use to fit in a hard drive?
 
HG's build is nice. It will play games better than the i7 build by PC_User. It should last you a while.
A Phenom playing games better than an i7? ...
Is that what I said? Something about a Phenom? No no no... I meant to say something about the vidcard you chose...

...
PSU/VIDEO – Antec EA650 + EVGA Geforce GTX 260(216) both for $240 ($25 MIR on video card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.194124
...

...
$110 - Radeon 4850
...

And as we all know, the GTX260 216 performs at the same level as the HD4870 1GB. Oh wait, I did say something about the vidcard... ;)

HG's build is nice. It will play games better than the i7 build by PC_User. It should last you a while.

The HD4850 is a bit lacking for a gaming system on a 22" these days. If you go with i7, at least find more money for an HD4870 1GB or HD4890.

See... I knew I wasn't referring to the CPU regarding gaming performance. I was just referring to the builds by their CPU names. I guess I should have used the GPU names to refer to the builds? :p
 
Last edited:
Back
Top