Planning on joining up.

dtess17

2[H]4U
Ok so i understand the whole DC and what F@H is for. Seems like a very good cause.

I downloaded it, and i seem to have set everything up just fine. I recall the client only uses your spare CPU cycles correct? Right now it's using something like 50-60% so i try and go do a cpu intensive task then F@H will use less? Could i still game at the same time?

also i hear some people fold 24-7 and others only a few hours? how is this set up?

and next i see people with dozens of different machines folding which seems real cool and all,
all you do is install the client on the machine and enter your user name and team number?

ok i guess that's enough questions for the moment

1. Yes, F@H runs at Low Priority, so whenever you need cycles it gives them up. In some instances, memory usage does become an issue, so if you have problem in memory intensive apps, you can shut the client down to free up the resources.

2. There are numerous ways you can set the client to run, some larger corporate producers set their machines up with scheduled tasks to kick the client off when someone logs out, and shut back off when someone logs in. It depends on the needs of your situation.

3. For setup, thats about the gist of it, throw in your name and team number and you're good to go. :D

Welcome to the team!

Welcome to the addiction.

Yes if you do a cpu intensive task F@H will do less, and give up the CPU cycles to get your other stuff done.

Yes you can game, I game all the time and I fold, and many others around here fold and game with no problem. Just be sure to use the CONSOLE client, not the graphical client. There are some known issues with the graphical client not playing well with games.

As for installing on multiple machines, yes you need to install the client on each computer, and include your username and password on each install.

very cool.

Once i get my dual core set up with my new stuff i should be golden, i'm just running it on my older intle machine for the moment.

also i saw some add on for the electon microscope will that work even if i had two clients open?

EM3 works independently of F@H, so you just need set EM3 up, point it to the copy or copies of F@H you want it to watch, and away you go. :D

welcome to the addiction

Come in, headbutt a roo and grab yourself a beer :)

wraieghaeien said:
Welcome to the addiction.

Yes if you do a cpu intensive task F@H will do less, and give up the CPU cycles to get your other stuff done.

Yes you can game, I game all the time and I fold, and many others around here fold and game with no problem. Just be sure to use the CONSOLE client, not the graphical client. There are some known issues with the graphical client not playing well with games.

As for installing on multiple machines, yes you need to install the client on each computer, and include your username and password on each install.

i'm with you the whole way except i have no password...me thinks i did something wrong.

roftranspo said:
welcome to the addiction

Come in, headbutt a roo and grab yourself a beer :)

turns out i love beer, and i'm pretty good at headbutting things also...but where would i find this aforementioned "roo" i live nowhere near the outback lol

Don't worry--there is no password associated with your username. wraieghaeien must have been confusing it with UD or something.

dtess17 said:
turns out i love beer, and i'm pretty good at headbutting things also...but where would i find this aforementioned "roo" i live nowhere near the outback lol
Excellent...you have all the qualities needed to be here :) and the roo's are the 2nd place team that we has a whole are all trying to keep in there place :)

roftranspo said:
Excellent...you have all the qualities needed to be here :) and the roo's are the 2nd place team that we has a whole are all trying to keep in there place :)

oh well then, heatbutt i shall.

ok perhaps i am really dumb, but i set up the 2 of the command line versions, and then set up the EMIII but nothing seems to be happening...what gives?

dtess17 said:
ok perhaps i am really dumb, but i set up the 2 of the command line versions, and then set up the EMIII but nothing seems to be happening...what gives?
do you have EM3 pointing to the correct folders?

EM3 takes a little while to compute the first frame and such. I'd recommend letting everything run for an hour or so, and then if you aren't seeing results to check your setup.

p[H]ant0m said:
EM3 takes a little while to compute the first frame and such. I'd recommend letting everything run for an hour or so, and then if you aren't seeing results to check your setup.

alright i'll try that out.

yeah it seems to be just sitting there, the progress bar is still just at 0%

i wonder what i did wrong.

dtess17 said:
yeah it seems to be just sitting there, the progress bar is still just at 0%

i wonder what i did wrong.
mine does that some times....what protien is it?

roftranspo said:
mine does that some times....what protien is it?
i dunno i just got rid of it and downloaded the graphic version that seems to be working fine.

i was checking my task manager before and it was still sitting at idle...not sure if i misconfigured or what

i'll have to try it again sometime...

dtess17 said:
i dunno i just got rid of it and downloaded the graphic version that seems to be working fine.

i was checking my task manager before and it was still sitting at idle...not sure if i misconfigured or what

i'll have to try it again sometime...
did you restart the computer/start the service?

Edit: Going to the graphical is not recommend

Did you include the -local flag and set the machine id for the second client to 2? If not, you may want to check HERE for instructions.

GameALot said:
Did you include the -local flag and set the machine id for the second client to 2? If not, you may want to check HERE for instructions.

yeah i changed it to -local -config for both of em...no luck and i did change machine id for the second client

the console one just doesn't seem to like me, i dunno what's up, i'm gonna remove everything and maybe try again if i get no luck then i think i'll just stick to the graphic version it works anyways.

whats it doing??

Check this:
Go to Start->run
enter in: services.msc
under services try to see if the folding@home services are listed.

do i need to sign up for my username or someshit?
otherwise i think i'm doing everything else right

we gave up on this PC, it had a lot of problems and is getting reformatted. Going to try it all again once i got windows all brand spanking new.

dtess17 said:
we gave up on this PC, it had a lot of problems and is getting reformatted. Going to try it all again once i got windows all brand spanking new.

Sometimes thats the easiest way to go.

Back