1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I will be using the computer for development, gaming and to host a Linux VM.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
My budget for the motherboard and processor is CAD$500. But my total budget for the build is CAD$5500.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
I live in Toronto, Canada but can travel easily travel to the Micro Center in Cleveland or Detroit.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need a motherboard and processor.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
The components that I currently have or will be getting are 2 R9 290 in Crossfire, 16GB (4GB x 4) 30nm Samsung RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 PRO, Case Labs SM8 case in reverse ATX, 2TB WD Black drive and a Seasonic Platinum 860W power supply. The liquid cooling parts, I will use an Alphacool UT60 360mm radiator in the front, an Alphacool UT60 480mm radiator in the bottom, a D5 pump with a Koolance top/reservoir, and EK blocks for both the CPU and GPU.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Maybe, but it is a not a priority for me.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
My current resolution is 1920x1080 but I will upgrading to a 1440p monitor (or maybe even an Ultra HD monitor) in the near future.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
At the end of this month (May 2014).
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
It will need Crossfire support. It needs at least one USB 3 port on the back panel. I would like one front panel header and eSATA but it is a requirement. No, it is does not need onboard video. It needs to support UEFI.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have a legit and reusable OS key. It is Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.
I can get an Core i7 4820K and a MSI X79A-GD45 Plus, or a Core i7 4770K with a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H for the around the same cost, US$432.
Or, maybe, I should go with the Core i7 4790 with the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H as this processor has VT-d which could help with the virtualization. Does VT-d provide a performance boost to one VM with a moderate amount of disk I/O during compilation and low network I/O?
Also, the locked Haswell processors have transaction memory extensions enabled which maybe interesting to try as a developer.
I have narrowed it down to these three motherboard and processor combinations, but I need advice on which of these is the most suitable for me.
I will be using the computer for development, gaming and to host a Linux VM.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
My budget for the motherboard and processor is CAD$500. But my total budget for the build is CAD$5500.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
I live in Toronto, Canada but can travel easily travel to the Micro Center in Cleveland or Detroit.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need a motherboard and processor.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
The components that I currently have or will be getting are 2 R9 290 in Crossfire, 16GB (4GB x 4) 30nm Samsung RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 PRO, Case Labs SM8 case in reverse ATX, 2TB WD Black drive and a Seasonic Platinum 860W power supply. The liquid cooling parts, I will use an Alphacool UT60 360mm radiator in the front, an Alphacool UT60 480mm radiator in the bottom, a D5 pump with a Koolance top/reservoir, and EK blocks for both the CPU and GPU.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Maybe, but it is a not a priority for me.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
My current resolution is 1920x1080 but I will upgrading to a 1440p monitor (or maybe even an Ultra HD monitor) in the near future.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
At the end of this month (May 2014).
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
It will need Crossfire support. It needs at least one USB 3 port on the back panel. I would like one front panel header and eSATA but it is a requirement. No, it is does not need onboard video. It needs to support UEFI.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have a legit and reusable OS key. It is Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.
I can get an Core i7 4820K and a MSI X79A-GD45 Plus, or a Core i7 4770K with a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H for the around the same cost, US$432.
Or, maybe, I should go with the Core i7 4790 with the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H as this processor has VT-d which could help with the virtualization. Does VT-d provide a performance boost to one VM with a moderate amount of disk I/O during compilation and low network I/O?
Also, the locked Haswell processors have transaction memory extensions enabled which maybe interesting to try as a developer.
I have narrowed it down to these three motherboard and processor combinations, but I need advice on which of these is the most suitable for me.