Planing to buy Xbox One S. What else to buy with it?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
- owned most consoless before
- love FPS games and like 3rd person games like Ninja Gaiden and action/adventure/RPG
- want good looking graphics

Is Xbox One S a good choice for that?
What else do I need to buy to go with it? Like some upgraded/better controller or some other handy gadget?

Thanks.

(I already own a top PC but want a console for more relaxed gaming, on a huge 75" HDR tv, while lying on a bed, etc)

I hate to say this because I have a PC, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One S but if you are buying a Xbox One S over a PS4 Pro there could only be a couple reasons for that:

• You don't want to spend the extra $100 on a PS4 Pro
  • Xbox One has more exclusives you want (which are already available on PC)
  • You want the ability to play 4K Blu Rays
  • All your friends are on Xbox Live
If you don't care for those then the PS4 Pro is the way to go. Games look incredible and the HDR works fantastic. I honestly feel as though if you don't miss the 4K Blu Rays then the PS4 Pro is the way to go if you already have a gaming PC. I personally love all 3 because they all offer different experiences for me, but to get the most advantage out of a 75" HDR TV the PS4 is the way to go.

I hate to say this because I have a PC, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One S but if you are buying a Xbox One S over a PS4 Pro there could only be a couple reasons for that:

• You don't want to spend the extra $100 on a PS4 Pro
  • Xbox One has more exclusives you want (which are already available on PC)
  • You want the ability to play 4K Blu Rays
  • All your friends are on Xbox Live
If you don't care for those then the PS4 Pro is the way to go. Games look incredible and the HDR works fantastic. I honestly feel as though if you don't miss the 4K Blu Rays then the PS4 Pro is the way to go if you already have a gaming PC. I personally love all 3 because they all offer different experiences for me, but to get the most advantage out of a 75" HDR TV the PS4 is the way to go.
One thing to keep in mind about HDR: Xbox ONE S supports Dolby Vision while PS4 Pro does not. Both have full support of HDR10, though. Your really can't go wrong with either console at this point when it comes to games, though. A plus for me with the Xbox is Play Anywhere because I am also a heavy PC gamer, but most of my online friends are only on Xbox, so I can switch between the two platforms at no extra cost.

Full disclosure: I own a PC, Xbox ONE, Xbox ONE S, PS4 and PS4 Pro. The PS4 is basically just used for exclusives these days.

- love FPS games and like 3rd person games like Ninja Gaiden and action/adventure/RPG

What else do I need to buy to go with it? Like some upgraded/better controller or some other handy gadget?

Thanks.

(I already own a top PC but want a console for more relaxed gaming, on a huge 75" HDR tv, while lying on a bed, etc)

Look online for a cheap XBox Live Gold subscription for one year at a time. (Sales often happen throughout the year.) Gold gives you 4 free games a month as well. Other than that, an 2TB external hard drive would help and a OTA TV Tuner if you do not have a TV service would be good.

I would really eye the exclusives. PS4 is worth Uncharted and Last of Us alone. Anything I wanted on XB1 is coming to PC so no reason to bye one.

Thanks.

I've been a big fan of the Xbox One and the S.

Here are just a few things I would recommend.

External Hard drive, not only will it give you more storage its also in many cases gives you faster load times.

If you can afford it I do like the elite controller.

Also one thing I did this generation is get a bunch of rechargeable AA and AAAbatteries and 12 bay battery charger. I personally don't like plugging in my controllers. I like to replace the batteries and stay wireless.

Good point on an external drive. Can't believe I forgot that... I have a 6TB external, myself, that I bought when it was on sale for $150. It should last for the life of the console.

Thanks everyone. I already own a OG PS4 and am not interested in a Pro, I am also not interested in a Scorpio.

Really the only difference I've heard about is the 4k capabilities. I was talking to a guy at gamestop because I was thinking of doing a trade in for my old xbone for the S, but he convinced that it was not worth it for the minute improvement in performance if you didn't have a 4k television to enjoy them on.

I own every new system and version of them. If you're going to buy a Xbox One buy the One S. It is smaller quieter uses less power runs some games slightly faster. I can't stress the noise difference. the OG unit external power supply is kinda noisy the new system has it's power supply integrated and is silent. the newer controller that comes with the one s also has better range and connectivity they reworked the wireless and they also support BT for use on PC. the sticks are tighter feeling too and the bumpers are improved.

I have two launch systems and two S units the S units are so nice.

what to buy with it

Enloops
EA Access
External storage?

Last edited:
Back