Planetside 2

What does everyone think of the lattice that is on Indar now? Update is coming up for Amerish to have it now too.

What does everyone think of the lattice that is on Indar now? Update is coming up for Amerish to have it now too.

It is good and bad, but overall I dislike it.

Good, it makes it easier to find large battles and because the way it works there are almost always large battles due to it.

Bad, it takes away being able to surround and cut off a difficult to capture region or even just having more then 1-2 regions to come from to it.

So it is great for those who just want giant slugfests all the time, but it takes away a lot of tactical decisions because you just follow a line now.

yeah, it kind of dumbs down a lot of the strategy involved, and making it just large army mass vs. large army mass. Probably better if they just keep it so you cant cap things that arnt connected, and remove the lattice stuff.

I don't like it much myself. I'm pretty much always on Esamir now even though my outfit plays on Indar most of the time.

Lattice system on Indar made me give up on Indar. And eventually any hope that SOE can keep a game fun while monetizing it (along with other reasons). I haven't logged in to actually play PS2 in probably close to a month now. I've logged in to check out a few patches, check sales, etc...beyond that I can't be bothered to try to play it anymore.

My beef with the lattice system has a lot of points, but two big ones are:
- That they designed upwards of 4 and 5 hops between some bases where the only thing you do is progress from one big base to another via the hops. No options to turn. Then went and made the terrain so that you were unable to turn off and help on another leg near you. So you were either going all the way from one base to another, or all the way back. There was no option to skip to another leg if it was obvious you were not going to progress. So with vehicles you basically got em blown up or drove for stupid amounts of time to get into a reasonable fight. Plus no option link ups are just a STUPID design choice. Don't even see the point for the little bases if you're just driving from one base to another.

- Once you do get to a base you can take one of three outposts around it from the leg you came down. So if no one is coming down another leg, or they are struggling to get down to their outpost. You can't help them in any meaningful way. Because your outpost plugs into the mainbase..instead of going to the outposts AND the mainbase... You need an overwhelming force to take the base, and then you still have to push the guys out of the outposts AFTER you take the base. Surrounding a base is often out of the question due to limitations that make no sense whatsoever. Plus on top of this stupid design, they redesign the outposts to be EASIER to cap from the main bases in a lot of cases. Where the capture point is outside the tower and often right next to the damn jump pad or road in and out of the mainbase. You literally often couldn't even get to the point to defend it because of how they decided to change these bases. Just irritating as hell and required you to have equal or greater numbers to even attempt anything......which leads to huge zergs running around. And often really shitty performance on the server. Especially during alerts.

Just can't help but shake my head at some of the changes they made to PS2 lately. I'm a TR player in a historically TR outfit, and I feel that by far and away TR get the raw deal in nearly every change that comes to the game. Many of the outfit play other factions because their weaponry is actually fun to use, instead of being basically the same gun across every char as a TR. Hell they even crap on TR with a lot of their weaponry changes....Vulcan harasser was laughable in comparison to Enforcer ML harasser or Saron Harasser..and that's a common pool vehicle they can't even manage to make reasonably fair across the board.

Shrug. I broke my "no more SOE MMOs" rule for this game. And now Ive got ~100 bucks into the game, and I regret it. I hope they can pull their heads out of their asses and stop obsessing over MLG stuff and work on a good mass MP experience, but I really doubt it'll happen. Far too many changes I have to look at and go "why did that need changed?" and no one else seems to know why either....besides MLG.

What part of ghost capping empty bases was fun? I don't get it.

Ghost capping empty bases isn't fun, but it opened up options tactically.

Ghost cap around a base that you can't overtake and cut them off or simply work past that base and pursue on to other ones making the enemy either deal with you taking more territory while they sat in that one base or they get out and start taking stuff back and dealing with you somewhere else. That now leaves that first base you couldn't over take weakened and you can try and get forces to go take it when the enemy presence isn't as strong.

With the lattice it is simply connect the dot to next base and fight giant ass battle. Win battle and push on to next base on the connect the dot line or sit there and have a standstill essentially or the enemy can push down the connect the dot line and put more space that you have to go through and can't go around.

So, ghost capping gives you options to deal with problems. Lattice doesn't give you any options. The amount of strategic thinking needed for the lattice system is something my friends 8 year old can execute.

People on the SOE forums used to bitch about ghost/back capping bases. Its a legit strategy. Its not fun, but it can/needs to be done.

I never cared for ghost cappers. Like you said, it was a legitimate strategy. But the morons on the SOE forum's believed ghost cappers were actually obtaining more certs than those who weren't, and so they wanted it removed.

I never cared for ghost capping myself, sometime it had to be done...because people would just sit in biolabs (NC) and were hard as hell to get out of them until you took so much territory they start leaving to try to ghost cap in return. Then you rush in and take the place. Which when they took out the shield gen, made biolabs a safe bet to leave unattended for 5-25 minutes, you could always spawn back in. And you still had 2 outposts to get into the base since it was unlikely the same enemy force would strike from multiple outpost directions.

But again, I shake my head at today's patch notes. They nerf the fury damage by half, AND make the reload time longer. Granted fury was a beast of a weapon against infantry....sunderer's are like friggin catnip.

And then along with that change to effectively nerf a very good sunderer weapon, they add in no deploy zones that the roadmap had ZERO score on for people's interest for months. Instead of forcing people to use mines and what not to stop deployment, they put in no deploy zones. Besides them making tank mines a joke a few patches back, big pillows you can throw down....that take multiple to blow up important stuff...making them more obvious.

Just gotta shake my head.

I never cared for ghost capping myself, sometime it had to be done...because people would just sit in biolabs (NC) and were hard as hell to get out of them until you took so much territory they start leaving to try to ghost cap in return. Then you rush in and take the place. Which when they took out the shield gen, made biolabs a safe bet to leave unattended for 5-25 minutes, you could always spawn back in. And you still had 2 outposts to get into the base since it was unlikely the same enemy force would strike from multiple outpost directions.

But again, I shake my head at today's patch notes. They nerf the fury damage by half, AND make the reload time longer. Granted fury was a beast of a weapon against infantry....sunderer's are like friggin catnip.

And then along with that change to effectively nerf a very good sunderer weapon, they add in no deploy zones that the roadmap had ZERO score on for people's interest for months. Instead of forcing people to use mines and what not to stop deployment, they put in no deploy zones. Besides them making tank mines a joke a few patches back, big pillows you can throw down....that take multiple to blow up important stuff...making them more obvious.

Just gotta shake my head.

But....but......MLGGGGGGGGGGGG

The Fury nerf really pisses me off. I used it mostly on my ATV with cloak and I pretty much only used it when I had too, I didn't go looking for a fight on the thing because I would die before killing whoever was shooting me 90% of the time.

But my god, wont someone think of the poor sundys! They are already bullet/missle/anything that can do damage to it magnets. They had the Fury which was good for ground defense and that was it.

The nerf wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so damn big either. Instead of lowering the damage a little and increasing the reload time a little they go balls out on them both. Sure most people will think .5 sec isn't much, but believe me in this game that is a damn long time. Over 50% dmg nerf, fuck I want my certs back.

Yeah and that's the real punch in the gut with these over reaching changes they keep making. You essentially get screwed out of all the certs in it once it becomes useless. So they can sell you a new weapon, to buy at full price...cert out and then nerf when the next new weapon is planned.

Bet the next update has a nice new fury replacement FOTM weapon.

They need to start putting out some damn content. Hell at this point, I'd like them to give mechanics to each continent..specific to the continent. Just so they can see what works and what sucks via numbers and not what they or the players think people want.

Also need to redesign some bases so it's ground vehicle friendly, air vehicle friendly, infantry only. So they don't have to balance everything around infantry interaction with vehicles. Vehicles should be killing your unprepared lone infantry ass easily...

Someone tell SOE it's OK to put doors back in, and OK to keep vehicles and air out of fights. And that infantry don't have to be able to kill everything at all times.

It's getting absurd.

Just finished playing a round this morning.
Some parked their sunder on a lift plate in a defense tower, got out and it lifted me 7km off the ground and couldn't get off. At 4km you can see the ground anymore. LOL

People on the SOE forums used to bitch about ghost/back capping bases. Its a legit strategy. Its not fun, but it can/needs to be done.

That's the problem though; if it's not fun, why have it in the game as something that is necessary? We put up with that for about a month, but after capping all three continents during primetime, there was no more reason to (if there was any at all to begin with).

Figured I'd revive this thread after today. The devs recently pushed a big update with many changes, including implementing the lattice link system on the Esamir continent. They also redid many of the bases on esamir, creating a much more infantry focused gameplay inside them. Having played those today, I can say these changes led to some of the most intense infantry fights I've had in this game yet. In my opinion, it's really in a good place right now, with more to come. For those of you who haven't played in a while, now would definitely good time to check it out again. Also, for those who haven't yet tried this game, signing up using this link will give you a starter package when you start playing (If you haven't logged in in 6 months or more, you also qualify for the starter package).

Looks like a referral code link.

It is. The free starter bundle is part of it. Was hoping it would be an incentive to some people to hop on/back on. I'm always looking for more people to shoot at/with (depending on which empire they swing towards).

Someone got me to try it for a third time. The first few times I wasn't hooked at all but the third time it kinda got me.

Being a free to play game I am skeptical about how much upgrades affect gameplay. I'm not averse to spending a few bucks to have more fun but if it's a race to buy things it will put me off.

Don't need much to be effective. I don't sub but still average about 100 certs per 2 hours. Play medic if you want to be useful. The tar is a good weapon for tr. Max out your medic rez gun first and just follow the zerg.

Is this game "casual" friendly ? Or is it like an MMORPG that if you don't invest crazy time you character sucks

Is this game "casual" friendly ? Or is it like an MMORPG that if you don't invest crazy time you character sucks

Sort of. Depends if you're willing to buy weapons with money instead of cert. points, spending the certs on class/weapon upgrades. Certain classes within the factions really benefit from, if not really need, weapons from the store (ex. TR and VS snipers). You don't need to be at a super high level to do well, but you'll certainly be at a disadvantage against higher level players during straight up 1 on 1 engagements.

It is skilled based really. The vast majority of the guns that you can unlock/buy are side grades and not straight up upgrades from the starter weapons (hell some of the starter weapons are consider amoung the best for their class). What I mean by side grades is, some guns might have higher rate of fire/accuracy/less recoil/further travel distance but they also receive minus' in other categories, so you might pick a gun that has a higher ROF, but it could do less damage/less accuracy/more recoil/etc.

The only stuff that is truly upgrades from what I remember was vehicle equipment. The starter stuff is jack of all trades.

Though earning certs isn't hard in the game and even if you want to spend a little cash, they have lots of sales and bundles, prices for most stuff is ok for the most part. The only stuff you can't earn in the game is cosmetic only stuff that you purchase for money.

Just started playing this about a week ago with a couple of friends and I am really enjoying it, I cannot believe I did not try it sooner actually. The battles get really epic....Great game so far!

Just installed it since I put together a new pc after my old one from 7 years ago died. I can actually play this on max settings at 1920 x 1080. It seems to have a high learning curve beyond the basic, kill and don't get killed yourself.

Type these codes in the Redeem a Code section to get free stuff:

SummerReward
mlgreport
psuarmordecal
psuvehicledecal
eqnvehicledecal

Type these codes in the Redeem a Code section to get free stuff:

SummerReward
mlgreport
psuarmordecal
psuvehicledecal
eqnvehicledecal
Thanks. I still find myself getting my ass handed to me left and right. hah. It's information overload, basically.

I've done a fair amount of playing on Planetside 2. What me and my roommates like doing is organizing ourselves together to be a small mercenary group. We've got a dedicated sniper, two assault class types, one support type, and love rolling up to bases with our vehicles, stopping just over a ridge. Then we scope the place, and start picking people off until we can pick each zone clean. To date, we have had 34 successful takeovers without any deaths by watching each others' asses and taking names from the get go. With a sniper constantly on overwatch, and one assault to stay behind with the sniper, while one assault and the support go in for the firefights directly, it's a pretty efficient 4 man setup. I've died maybe 4 times total the entire time I've played the game, and I've sunk a solid 80 hours on it. To beat that, its totally free. awwww yeaaaaa

I've done a fair amount of playing on Planetside 2. What me and my roommates like doing is organizing ourselves together to be a small mercenary group. We've got a dedicated sniper, two assault class types, one support type, and love rolling up to bases with our vehicles, stopping just over a ridge. Then we scope the place, and start picking people off until we can pick each zone clean. To date, we have had 34 successful takeovers without any deaths by watching each others' asses and taking names from the get go. With a sniper constantly on overwatch, and one assault to stay behind with the sniper, while one assault and the support go in for the firefights directly, it's a pretty efficient 4 man setup. I've died maybe 4 times total the entire time I've played the game, and I've sunk a solid 80 hours on it. To beat that, its totally free. awwww yeaaaaa

Ive had a lot of fun running around with my local friends in relatively balanced squads. We do a similar tactic to what it sounds like you and your friends do, but the most fun for me is when we fill a squad up with medics who know how to aim and have their med guns maxed out. Ive died more than 4 times, but have multiple characters with high kdr and spm that tend to have 90% or more of their playtime as medic class. this is the latest one ive been leveling up and the Torq9 is truly bonkers https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428209189755556897/

EDIT: for what its worth when I say my friends and I do a similar tactic I meant that we come in from the edge of a battle not that we just kill each other over and over like this irishtea does https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428222237686254561/ his killboard shows he just kills his "roomates" over and over in clear stat pad.

Last edited:
I probably have a 1:1 KDR. Don't care. I play to have fun which usually involves suicide missions in flag grabs (zergs), or flying in with a air vehicle just to get shot down and respawn near the battle. And if I can take something out in the process. Yay for me.

My gaming philosophy since Quake 1 has been "Take out at least 1 other before I die. That's my goal."

I probably have a 1:1 KDR. Don't care. I play to have fun which usually involves suicide missions in flag grabs (zergs), or flying in with a air vehicle just to get shot down and respawn near the battle. And if I can take something out in the process. Yay for me.

My gaming philosophy since Quake 1 has been "Take out at least 1 other before I die. That's my goal."

Hah, I have the same approach to this excellent game :) Have fun and don't sweat over KD ratio!

Ive had a lot of fun running around with my local friends in relatively balanced squads. We do a similar tactic to what it sounds like you and your friends do, but the most fun for me is when we fill a squad up with medics who know how to aim and have their med guns maxed out. Ive died more than 4 times, but have multiple characters with high kdr and spm that tend to have 90% or more of their playtime as medic class. this is the latest one ive been leveling up and the Torq9 is truly bonkers https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428209189755556897/

EDIT: for what its worth when I say my friends and I do a similar tactic I meant that we come in from the edge of a battle not that we just kill each other over and over like this irishtea does https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428222237686254561/ his killboard shows he just kills his "roomates" over and over in clear stat pad.

... lol. That profile isn't me mate! The witch hunt is real tho! I'm kinda blown away by these stats. Regardless, its not like we're super competitive or anything. Just slow and uber careful. And we don't go into the heart of land wars either. We fight in the fringe zones where there's only maybe 2 dozen people, and take those. Then we defend those for a while, and work out from there. By the time people start coming in to defend the bases we've captured, we move on and find other spots with far less firefighting going on to try and make small but noticeable improvements to the map position. As it is tho, thanks for the laugh, but that is not the irishtea you are looking for. My profile isn't even irishtea in PS2... xD Da witchhuntas be huntin' erryday tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3qmQk0f5Ro

Hossin update a new map looks like a star wars swamp! Will try it on my days off hope it's not too dark it would be too dark on IPS monitor I bet =)

This is still the best game on my Hard Drives or SSD haven't played it much since the first 6-7 months of launch.

Back