Planetside 2

Huge planet side patch arrived with bases modification and many changes to vehicles and gameplay. Are you playing today?

Took AP prowler out for some hunting. Feels good to own magriders now.

This is a true sniper tank now.

Rendering is still an issue. New weapon sounds are MUCH improved, imo. The new annihilator mechanic is pretty cool so far. The new spawn rooms seem promising, though I haven't played enough to see how they affect base caps.

I can't wait to warpgate lock the VS like we did with the NC pre-patch.

I've never played Planetside or Planetside 2. Is this a game I can just jump into and play like BF3? I'd imagine I should learn about the units and the objective of the game?

I'm loving the changes. Especially the WG rotation. A lot feels very fresh now. And kudos to SOE for spending their entire Saturday getting this patch out asap, and now a hot fix late at night that will hopefully address the frame rate issues. I feel money well spent on these developers.

I've never played Planetside or Planetside 2. Is this a game I can just jump into and play like BF3? I'd imagine I should learn about the units and the objective of the game?

The learning curve on this game is much steeper than your typical death match shooter. You have to play tactically to succeed (can be done lone wolf part of zerg or with an outfit) and it really takes time to learn the terrain and know what you're doing. It took me 20 hours to really start getting a feel for the game, and maybe 50 hours to get a feel for all areas (air, tank, infantry). I'm still learning things here and there now 250 hours in. :p

Played 30 minutes today just to see the changes and WOW! All changes are so welcome! I really liked the patch!

Hmmm. Worth trying again then?
Its definitely getting better. Most of the bases have been redesigned with tunnels accessible to defenders only (they can pop out elsewhere in the base) to allow more exits and the tiny spawn rooms have more exits. The defenses and entry/exits for almost everything has been redesigned to provide more protection to defenders. The spawn rooms at Tech Plants have also been given ground turrets to allow defenders some cover before they leave since they have a bunch of ground to cover to repair shield generators and get the capture point.

Gameplay is better. Many bugs have been fixed. Things are more balanced. Performance and framerate issues have not been completely fixed but they are reportedly working on it. A majority of the time my performance hovers in the 80-90fps range (medium graphics settings on my GTX 560ti, i7 2600k oc to 4.3ghz). Some of the time there will be horrendous lag as my fps will spike and dip from 80 fps to single digits. This particular instance has only happened for me when entering a new zone where a massive battle is taking place. Once I respawn into that area with the massive battle it will slowly fix itself over the course of 5 minutes.

Haven't played in a couple months but if I recall it was best if played as part of a squad. Anyone got an [H] Squad going? Would be nice if there was so those of us newbs would have somewhere to join and learn quickly.

this game is awesome been playing since beta with some friends ^_^

One thing though, the latest patch seems to have destroyed performance for me. went from playable at ~30fps to 5fps in open fields. anyone else experience perfomance drops from the newish update?

also, any word when they're implementing the PhysX effects?

game is good and fun except for the massive random fps drops which seem to happen every 10 mins or so which kill the game for me. Is there anyway to fix the fps drops? I go from from 30-40 fps to 1-10 fps and it only last like 10-15 secs but it ruins the game basically when in combat. Just started happening since last patch.

game is good and fun except for the massive random fps drops which seem to happen every 10 mins or so which kill the game for me. Is there anyway to fix the fps drops? I go from from 30-40 fps to 1-10 fps and it only last like 10-15 secs but it ruins the game basically when in combat. Just started happening since last patch.

they fixed that fps drop for me with a hotfix a day or so ago. if you still have issues supply a dxdiag to the devs on their forums.

I have perfect FPS on medium settings. And game is a ton of fun playing in the organized platoon.

I'm glad SOE is giving this game some love, and most of all listening to the community for feedback. I've been busy playing Path of Exile lately, but I'll have to give the game another go sometime in the future. I got kind of burnt out on it pretty fast, but it sounds like they've fixed a lot issues.

Planetside 2 official PhysX support incoming, can be enabled now with simple tweak

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/12/p...el=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

awww+yeah.jpg

Enabling PhysX is nothing new. Been able to enable it manually through the config file forever.

And yes, it's worth it.

I see almost no performance hit running the game with maxed out settings on my GTX680 w/ physx enabled. It really does make the game look better as well.

Enabling PhysX is nothing new. Been able to enable it manually through the config file forever.

And yes, it's worth it.

I see almost no performance hit running the game with maxed out settings on my GTX680 w/ physx enabled. It really does make the game look better as well.

What are you talking about?
They disabled it completely after the beta, i.e. your "edit" wasn't working.
I also edited my config in the beta, and it stopped working when they disabled it.

What are you talking about?
They disabled it completely after the beta, i.e. your "edit" wasn't working.
I also edited my config in the beta, and it stopped working when they disabled it.

Maybe his smoke is superior to yours? ;)

Anyway, good to see improvements. I will give it another go.

Just found this awesomeness, this is a great mock up, I hope when they implement it, its just as good or even better. Supposedly will be applied in a March update. SOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

xHq6G.jpg

Last edited:
Played for the first time again for a few months last night. Was fun. I have a bunch of certs/station cash laying around. My reaver is fairly kitted out already and I prefer to use that. Is there anything worth while spending on at this point? I like being AA when I am on the ground.

Played for the first time again for a few months last night. Was fun. I have a bunch of certs/station cash laying around. My reaver is fairly kitted out already and I prefer to use that. Is there anything worth while spending on at this point? I like being AA when I am on the ground.

I would unlock Sunderer deployment first before anything. (I think its called ASMS or something like that, you cant mistake it.)
Not only is it good to gain XP with, but it will help your team much more than anything else first. Then C4, if your class has it. I assume you got those already?

I have sunderer deployment but no C4. I have unlocked the AA launcher with the heavy class. Is the burster max superior AA? I know the heavy is more flexible.

Anti-Air launchers are deterrents mostly, unless used in large groups. AA Maxes are better if you actually want to kill an air target

PhysX murders my framerate, makes it almost unplayable

Ah, the rocket launchers....
PhysX brough my high fps down a bit, but it hasn't dropped any lower at heavy points. Makes sense, cause its all CPU at that point. Around 40-45 fps.

Hey guys, played the first one religiously but haven't touched this since beta. Was going to hop into it this weekend and normally play a medic but what would be a good class for a noob to start with so I won't be a major hindrance to my team or that I can at least semi solo with.

Hey guys, played the first one religiously but haven't touched this since beta. Was going to hop into it this weekend and normally play a medic but what would be a good class for a noob to start with so I won't be a major hindrance to my team or that I can at least semi solo with.

Medic is probably the easiest class to gain xp with starting out. Find a hot spot, usually around the Crown during prime time and just go around rezzing people and picking people off with your gun of choice.

Max out your med gun asap.
Pump up your group heal.
Pick a good weapon and kit it out. For Vanu I like the H-V45.
Pump up your flak armor since you'll probably be around a lot of grenade and vehicle spam.

Last edited:
Back