Planescape Torment or Dragon Age?

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
Believe it or not I've never played either of these games. My brother has both in his Steam and so I can install both but have played each for about 20 minutes.

I can't decide!

They both seem like similar games, and I must say I've found both similarly entertaining. DA obviously has nicer graphics which is a plus, but the writing in PT has made me chuckle a few times already.

Which one would you say has better combat?

Which one should I play? Thanks! ^_^

Last edited:
Torment is a better game. I actually prefer the art direction in it, too. Also, much much better wirting. DA has better combat.

Play Torment with high INT as either a mage or rogue.

I'm a huge fan of the combat in Dragon Age: Origins. DA:O is one of my favorite games in recent times. A high difficulty rogue play through is pretty challenging! You should probably play them both!

I didn't think Planescape was on Steam. I know it's on GoG.

DA has better combat, without question. That's not to say PS:T's is bad, although that will depend at least partly on how you build out TNO.

Torment is the better game overall. Art direction, writing, settings, pacing. The game is near flawless in those areas IMO.

High INT isn't as important as high WIS as far as I remember, both because WIS tends to unlock more conversation options and because WIS gives a bonus to all exp gained which means you'll gain more levels as you go and can end up pumping both INT *and* WIS more by the end of the game.

That being said, play the game how you want. Just know that you'll miss out on some of the writing if you don't pump at least WIS, INT, or CHA from the start.(CHA being overall less important from what I Remember, but it still matters in a few situations)

Would I have to look up builds for both games, or can I explore what's what by playing?

INT in Torment gives more dialogue options and ways to gain non combat xp. WIS lets you uncover more memories. DEX and CON can be bumped equally. Mage is the most fun to play.

Whatever one you choose be sure to check out mods. DA has some great gameplay/graphic updates and planescape has some mods to play much better on newer machines(widescreen, high-res)

I've tried to get into planescape a few times but have been put off due to Nvidia's issues with Direct draw. The only workarounds that I've tried have their own drawbacks. From what I have played the atmosphere and writing in the game is amazing.

I vote DA:O.

As an aside, does the game have any mods? Graphic updates or otherwise?

Yes, quite a few, actually. Try Dragon Age Nexus. Quite a bit over there that are actual quality mods. Texture packs, tweaked models, etc.

I've tried to get into planescape a few times but have been put off due to Nvidia's issues with Direct draw. The only workarounds that I've tried have their own drawbacks. From what I have played the atmosphere and writing in the game is amazing.

I'd say, as an RPG enthusiast, you should try to complete the game. There are many points in the game where you can start to see why people like Chris Avellone are considered the very best when it comes to writing ina video game.

Sure, these days it might be hard to jump into due to interface and age, but I can say you'll enjoy it without hesitation. It's another one of those games that presents a story to the player and treats them like a reasonably intelligent adult.

Planescape is considered one of the greatest RPGs of all time. DAO is not; it's good but does not compare to Planescape.

Planescape is an unbelievably creative and cool story. DA:O was fun, but storywise, it's nothing special.

Both are GREAT rpgs, why not play both of them?

Planescape has one of the best stories in an rpg.

Dragon AGe has some of the best/most in depth characters in a recent rpg.

Next to The Witcher series and Gothic, Dragon Age: Origins has been one of the best rpgs in over a decade.

I really liked Dragon Age and Witcher and co... but Planescape was truly amazing. Right down to having dialogue options for a drooling idot of a character.

'nother vote for PS:T.
Remember to grab the unfisnished quests mod, in addition to the others.

You need to play both, but play PS:T first. It's both shorter and better.

Well it looks like I'll have to play both eventually, but I'll start with Planescape Torment. I didn't know it was shorter than DA:O, i figured since it was an older game that it would be longer.

Sn1PeR was right, too. It is not in my brother's steam account, he must have added it to his library manually. I'll get with him on where it came from. If he got it from GoG, do they have a manager program like steam?

I also found this: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

for you veterans, would i be in good shape if i followed that guide?

Also, i'm still curious if i should fret about builds. Someone said a mage is most fun, so i'll likely do that, but i have no idea how characters are even built in this game. Would i end up with an unplayable character if i just went for it? (I actually prefer this vs. looking up builds online and following something to the letter)

Thanks!

Like others have said, go with Dragon Age if your interest is primarily combat. It's a solid all-around rpg. It follows the traditional style and pacing of most Bioware rpgs I've played.

I highly recommend Planescape, though. It's a unique experience.

Well it looks like I'll have to play both eventually, but I'll start with Planescape Torment. I didn't know it was shorter than DA:O, i figured since it was an older game that it would be longer.

Sn1PeR was right, too. It is not in my brother's steam account, he must have added it to his library manually. I'll get with him on where it came from. If he got it from GoG, do they have a manager program like steam?

I also found this: http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

Also, i'm still curious if i should fret about builds. Someone said a mage is most fun, so i'll likely do that, but i have no idea how characters are even built in this game. Would i end up with an unplayable character if i just went for it? (I actually prefer this vs. looking up builds online and following something to the letter)

Thanks!

It's not really needed. Just bump the stats I mentioned earlier. Mage is more fun because the combat can be tedious if you go straight Fighter. INT>WIS>CON>DEX/CHA. It's essentially 2nd ED ad&d, with minor changes.

I'd put CHA above CON in that list, if playing for story, since it can affect dialogue options.

Thanks!

GOG has no manager like program. It's just a plain and simple install. Dont worry about builds for Planescape. The game can be unique each time you play it and can end in different ways. If you want to get the the most out of the game though, then know that wisdom is the most important stat. It provides the most dialogue options, most memories, and provides the most exp. Intel would be the next most important followed by charisma. These three stats provide the most for the story.

Mages are the most fun to play but so are the other classes if you prefer melee so make whatever necessary stat adjustments you need if you choose fighter or thief. Keep in mind characters will join you who function as mages or thieves or fighters or clerics so dont worry about picking the perfect class or making the perfect character because there is no such thing. Power builds are pretty pointless for this game.

As far as mods go from that link you posted. The res mod, incredible UI mod, and ultimate fixpack are the ones I like to use. Those three mods only fix the resolution and bugs and do not make any changes to the gameplay itself.

Last edited:
I just started playing DA:O about a week ago and I am kicking myself for not playing it sooner, it is slowly devouring my life.

I have not played plancescape, though if there are texture mods I would definitely pick it up as it sounds awesome.

Planescape is a sprite based game so there would not be any texture mods. ;) I don't think anybody has redone any elements than perhaps the GUI.

Back