Planescape: Torment in widescreen

Allos

Limp Gawd
With the recent talks of "best of" threads, I have dug up my Planescape: Torment discs and reinstalled them. I was looking for some fans' patches and was pleasantly surprised to find "Planescape: Torment Widescreen MOD v1.0 By The BIGG". I just tried 1280x800 and it looks beautiful on 24" LCD.

There are also other useful files. Check them out at http://www.bootstrike.com/Torment/files.html. Happy gaming :)

My heros! Anyone try and install them on Vista?

With everything I heard about the game, I tried it on my older vista box a few weeks ago and it ran perfectly. Quit after an hour though because of finals preparation. Runs flawlessly.

I bought PS:T when it came out because I love BG and IWD but I just couldn't get into it for some reason.

<sigh> I am cursed i guess. The game always crashes on me at the same point. Even backing up to a previous save doesn't help. Once i get to that part of the city, the game is basically unplayable. Which sucks, because i really want to finish that game sometime. :(

The widescreen mod is great. For me it slows down and gets choppy after a while but if I alt+tab and then go back in it fixes it self.

Im playing three games at once and I need to get back and play this one again. It is a great game.

I just started playing through Icewind Dale again, and will be looking to use the widescreen fix once my new monitor come sin. After that it'll be time for the Baldur's Gate compilation. Perhaps after that I'll reinstall Torment and see if I can actually get through it, this time with the widescreen fix.

There's also a widescreen mod in the link below which works with Baldur's Gate, Planescape and others.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

Just wanted to report that I finally had a chance to install this mod and it's pretty cool. Looks amazing and makes the game worthy of a modern day replay. You definitely have to follow the directions but it does indeed work. I got it running fine on Vista x64 following the instructions. I tried 1900x1200 but it was a bit too small for my taste. I reran the mod, the first time it errored out, but I ran it again telling it to set at 1600x1200 and worked fine.
Very groovy man. :cool:

Oh hellzzzzz yeah. Im currently playing Planescape Torment in widescreen. ZOMG still the greatest rpg in the history of rpgs. Its got a few quirks but runs pretty sweet.

The only minor problems are things like the menus and videos not scaling appropriately. But its all about the gameplay so I can overlook that. There are tons of tweaks out there and I am sure I could track them down. But running it at 1920 x 1200 is sweet.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/05/29/planescape-landscapes/

Trying to get this to work with PS: Torment, keeps comming up with an error is DOS.

I extracted the contents of the G3 Widescreen mod to my Torment directory , then ran the G3 Widescreen.exe file.

When it asks , do you want to display the readme? I say "N" for no.

When it asks me to install component [Widescreen Mod]? I click "I" for install. And then I get the error.

I even installed the newest 1.1 version . still no luck, its really frustraiting.

I get this ERROR.BIFF Unix.Unix error

Last edited:
Ok I found the problem, I was installing from CD 1. Apparently it wasn't installing all the files needed by the mod to work properly. So... I copied all the files from each of the remaining cd's into the PST directory.

Now its working.

This thread requires screenshots :)

torment2009080901530346.jpg

Unfortunately theres no custom UI for 1920x1080 so I have to run it a bit lower at 1280x800, but it still looks awesome

Last edited:
Wow awesome. I have this game on my eee that I still need to finish. I'll look into this mod.

I've played Baldur's Gate 1 over with the tutu mod. It lets you run the game with BG2 engine so you get improvements and higher resolutions. Now they're doing stuff with WS, this is great. I'd love to replay BG2 at 1920x1200.

Nice to see something about PS:T, since it's such an amazing game. I don't know if it'd make my top 5 ever right now, but it'll remain in my top 25 forever, almost guaranteed. Plus I won the haiku contest on their website before the game launched (prize was a copy of BG2 signed by all the developers, programmers, execs, etc).

Thank you very much for bringing this up and reminded us of this.

Thanks a lot for this OP! I'm going to reinstall this game and give it a go. I'm in a similar boat of another person who posted earlier - I was HUGE into BG and IWD but was a little too young for this one. I've tried it and gotten a few hours in a couple times. With it looking great now on my 24", I'm sure it'll stand a much better chance!

Has anyone else had this problem with the black bar running across the bottom? If so how do I get rid of it?

Torment2009-08-0910-34-58-57.jpg

Wow awesome. I have this game on my eee that I still need to finish. I'll look into this mod.

I've played Baldur's Gate 1 over with the tutu mod. It lets you run the game with BG2 engine so you get improvements and higher resolutions. Now they're doing stuff with WS, this is great. I'd love to replay BG2 at 1920x1200.

I think it's capped at 1280x800, but it still looks a hell of alot better than non-widescreen with black bars.

I'd love to replay BG2 at 1920x1200.

jbrukardt mentions running at a lower resolution to use the custom UI. The problem is that the UI on these games were designed for 800x600, maybe even 1024x768 if you had an uber system at the time. These UIs don't fare well when blown up even to 1680x1050.

Font size is also a serious problem - the text gets painfully small, and fixing that is not trivial. There does seem to be a recent mod for this, but I have not tried it myself:

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=38626

Yeah, the custom UI makes all the icons and stuff the right size, as well as the text. Unfortunately the guy wont make one higher than 1280x800 out of principle, he feels the game becomes unfair when you can see too much around you at high res'es :/

Back