Planar PX2611W 26"

i assume it does a pretty good job upscaling?
If you don't like lag then you don't want a monitor that is good at scaling. To do that a monitor needs to have a scalling chip like the Dells. The downside is it adds lag even when playing in the native resolution. Just as internal LUTs are not good for gaming both involve post process crunching. Its a trade off.

Faster panel, play at default resolution. Besides isn't 1900x1200 the new standard entry level desktop res for [H]peeps.:p

Waiting on my tax check. I was pretty much in the same boat as the above, either the Apple 23 or the Planar. The Apple would have looked sexy with my Cool Master case but I decided on the Planar because of the larger dot pitch and my aging eyes.

I've pretty much resolved that I am going to knuckle through the wide gamut thing.:rolleyes:

If I was really feeling like rolling the dice I would go with the DoubleSight but money is tight and I am not gambler.:eek:

So my Planar arrives. No real backlight bleeding, no dead pixels, lovely-LOOKING but....

it DOES buzz below 100% brightness. And it's even louder than the Apple display I had. Gosh darnit.... this sucks. But once again, if I weren't in a quiet room with just a laptop, I'd never notice... Ugh....

The Planar is going back to Dell. Oh well, it was an experiment that failed. You live and learn.

Sucks to have supersonic hearing, eh? Maybe its time for you to discover a good set headphones and a headphone amp? Too much quiet makes Jack a dull boy. We saw how that ended.

Sucks to have supersonic hearing, eh? Maybe its time for you to discover a good set headphones and a headphone amp? Too much quiet makes Jack a dull boy. We saw how that ended.

Haha. What I can't fathom is how nobody else has picked up on this sound. If you can't hear it easily, just put your ear to the top of the display. "Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Haha. What I can't fathom is how nobody else has picked up on this sound. If you can't hear it easily, just put your ear to the top of the display. "Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

So don't put your ear next to it? Personal preference here, but I'd rather work in an environment with some background ambient noise than total silence. Normal ambient noise from a quiet computer fan or AC unit would drown out the buzzing.

So don't put your ear next to it? Personal preference here, but I'd rather work in an environment with some background ambient noise than total silence. Normal ambient noise from a quiet computer fan or AC unit would drown out the buzzing.

I consider my MacBook Pro a fairly quiet laptop (though not silent). With it on, though, I still hear the buzzing/humming from the Apple 23" or Planar 26" quite easily. My put-your-ear-to-it point is that the sound is there, whether you hear it at normal viewing distance or not. FYI, I sit around 2-3 feet from my screen. I can hear it from over 6-feet away with my laptop on.

So my Planar arrives. No real backlight bleeding, no dead pixels, lovely-LOOKING but....

it DOES buzz below 100% brightness. And it's even louder than the Apple display I had. Gosh darnit.... this sucks. But once again, if I weren't in a quiet room with just a laptop, I'd never notice... Ugh....

Pray you never get Meniere's disease.. You would kill yourself in less than a week. :p

What kind of power supply are you using? If you're having issues with all these displays buzzing it may not be the displays.

What kind of power supply are you using? If you're having issues with all these displays buzzing it may not be the displays.

A UPS with power regulating. I also took my display to a friend's house - same problem. I also tested the Apple displays at my university and the 30" and 23"s both had the same issue. It's NOT my power supply. You guys just don't hear it because of ambient noise - either your computer, A/C etc etc. And FYI my wife has a Samsung 245BW that doesn't make a sound..

There's buzz on mine too, but I only noticed it after putting my ear to the back of it. Now that I know what to listen for, I can hear it while seated about 2 ft. away from the front, but only if I really try and only if it's really dead quiet in the room. I can relate to your viewpoint though. I had an NEC that developed a high-pitched whine that was unbearable to me to the point that I had to get a replacement from NEC; my wife couldn't hear it at all. The buzz on the Planar is a much lower frequency and not at all objectionable to me. When any sound-generating device is on (home computer, central air, fridge, etc.), I can't hear it at all.

just wondering if any of you planar owners find the 26 inches to be a little too big. i'm upgrading from a 19" CRT and was looking at 24" models, but found most of them to be lacking in one way or another. i guess i'm just worried the planar might feel like a little too much real estate... do you find you have to move your head around to view the entire screen? any issues at all with the size? thanks!

just wondering if any of you planar owners find the 26 inches to be a little too big. i'm upgrading from a 19" CRT and was looking at 24" models, but found most of them to be lacking in one way or another. i guess i'm just worried the planar might feel like a little too much real estate... do you find you have to move your head around to view the entire screen? any issues at all with the size? thanks!

This is something I definitely found when I had the Planar (haha, this morning!). I just returned it because of the buzzing sound, and have gone back to the Apple 23", and I definitely prefer the size. I don't need to move my head all around the display with my 23" as I did with the 26". Amazing how those few inches make all the difference.... But again, this is entirely subjective. I have friends with the 30" Dell 3008WFP and the Apple 30", and both of them love them. I find them far too big.

There's buzz on mine too, but I only noticed it after putting my ear to the back of it. Now that I know what to listen for, I can hear it while seated about 2 ft. away from the front, but only if I really try and only if it's really dead quiet in the room. I can relate to your viewpoint though. I had an NEC that developed a high-pitched whine that was unbearable to me to the point that I had to get a replacement from NEC; my wife couldn't hear it at all. The buzz on the Planar is a much lower frequency and not at all objectionable to me. When any sound-generating device is on (home computer, central air, fridge, etc.), I can't hear it at all.

Well I'm glad SOMEONE can admit hearing it. As you said, though, it needs to be a pretty darn quiet room to hear it. It's a shame that my room is like that 90% of the time (the 10% being when my air heating starts running). I went back to my Apple display, because I just find it a better-looking (aesthetically and picture-quality wise) display than the Planar. It might be the dot pitch...? In any case, the sharpness and colors are spot on with the Apple with my MacBook Pro. Now I just need to get used to the humming. At least it's a much quieter hum on the Apple than the Planar.

does anyone notice that the edges GLOW on the planar? I am not talking about backlight bleed, but when its a dark scene, the edges seem to glow white. If i move my head a little different parts glow in dark scenes.. I also getting BANDING when the screen is dark, why? This normal? Defective monitor? Or is it just the monitors characteristics?

does anyone notice that the edges GLOW on the planar? I am not talking about backlight bleed, but when its a dark scene, the edges seem to glow white. If i move my head a little different parts glow in dark scenes.. I also getting BANDING when the screen is dark, why? This normal? Defective monitor? Or is it just the monitors characteristics?

The H-IPS panel has a white glow at angles. Its only noticeable on mine in the extreme lower corners, and its definitely not bleed since it disappears completely if I shift position. Turning brightness down helps, and adjusting the height and tilt relative to your viewing position pretty much fixes it. In any case, its much better than the contrast/color shift on PVA, as well as the purple blacks on S-IPS.

Banding is a different story. Turning the gamma down too far can cause banding on any LCD, but if you haven't done that, then it might be defective.

no matter what angle I sit at, i see white glow at the edges on a dark screen.. Also dark images have banding in them, so I guess its defective????

in the OSD what VER does it say your monitor is???? Mine is 1.02MGGKO

wow, anything dark looks absolutely horrible. Never seen anything so bad.........

no matter what angle I sit at, i see white glow at the edges on a dark screen.. Also dark images have banding in them, so I guess its defective????

wow, anything dark looks absolutely horrible. Never seen anything so bad.........

Mine is the same version and so is Notnyt's.

The white glow should only be visible at extreme angles unless you're sitting way too close to an all-black screen. And like I said, on mine you can only see it in the very bottom corners and depending on height/tilt of the screen; you can't see it around all the edges under any circumstances, even if viewing from an extreme angle.

I don't see any more banding on the Planar than on any of the other 3 LCDs I've owned...in fact, the Planar looks much better in every way except the NEC 2470WNX had better blacks. It was way too bright at first, but dropping it to 25 brightness and tweaking the gamma a bit fixed that.

I'd exchange it if I were you...

I did at first, when it was sitting in the same place on my desk as my 24" and 21" had been. I couldn't see sh@t on them unless I was way too close. But then I moved the Planar to the very back edge of my desk, and it was perfect.

As a reference, NEC's recommended viewing distance for the 2470WNX 24" is 16"-28", with 20" being optimal. So the Planar would be a bit farther than that (larger size and pixel pitch). I'm about 24"-28" from mine.

I like sitting decently close to my monitors, 2 feet or so. I now remember I had a dell once (think 2005FPW) that was an IPS screen, and I had similar problems (sent it back). anything dark looked horrible to me. It seems like my eyes prefer PVA panels and even TN.. I love the colors this thing produces, but these types of monitors just dont look right to me.

Thing is actually making me dizzy, lol........ Guess its just to darn big :(

i wonder if the px2411w is a better option for me, size-wise. anyone know if the two units are similar? is the 2411 an IPS screen?

calibrate

finally got this monitor....AWESOME! So glad i bought it. I got it from new egg with no pixel issues. cdw was out of stock so i took a chance with newegg and nailed it. Thanks for posting information about this panel guys.

anyone know a good place to grab this monitor in canada? i was looking into cdw - they have an awesome return policy, but only if the monitor is defective. i was hoping to find a retailer that will allow returns, no questions asked, in case i just don't like it. i'm worried it might end up being a bit too big for my tastes, but don't think i'll know that until i get my hands on it. thanks.

in vista? wont stick if it goes to sleep, or a few other things. quite annoying, supposedly sp1 fixes it, but we'll see

I have a batch file on my quick bar that calls xcalib to clear the luts and then load the profiles

C:\Windows>type cal.bat
xcalib -s 0 -c
xcalib -s 0 c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color\px2611w-2008030401-custom-22-356cd.icc
xcalib -s 1 -c
xcalib -s 1 c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color\fpd2485w-2008030335-custom-22-346cd.icc

C:\Windows>

yes its with 50, all monitors will be a bit different so if its a little off you can prolly equalize it out in the monitor controls

I've been playing with my replacement Planar for about 2 hours. To be honest, I love the first one so much that I got the replacement on Friday and just now opened it. The only reason I decided to exchange was that it had 3 stuck pixels (which I can't even see unless I get right up to it and go looking), and I figured for $900 it should be perfect. Plus I paid more at CDW specifically for the return policy.

Anyway, the new one is the same revision and is just as beautiful as the old one. The new one has NO backlight bleeding whatsoever, whereas the old one had a tiny bit that disappeared after about 24 hours of use. However, I just found one stuck pixel. Its only visible on all-red screens and I almost need a magnifying glass to see it...but there it is.

At this point, I'm really tired of shipping and receiving monitors, and both of these are fantastic...

I had 2 dead pixels on the px2611w i got from CDW. I can't see them unless I run a pixel checker. (they are really tiny) Love the monitor. I have yet to see a nicer LCD.

Back