Planar PX2611W 26"

Mine doesn't make any noise.

Yeah unfortunately I don't hold much hope in getting a "true" opinion online. I do believe you hear no hum from the display, but I can't guarantee myself that I won't hear a hum. This is based on my testing two Apple 23" Cinema Displays and both humming at less than full brightness. I've only found one or two instances on different forums with other people reporting the same thing. Therefore, most people just don't hear it or have too much ambient noise from their desktop computer etc to even notice it. I use a laptop and silence is a must....

But thanks for letting me know you hear no hum. It's definitely pushing me closer to getting a Planar. Just wish someone here had used both the Planar and the Apple and could tell me that the Planar is at least as good as the Apple, which is stunning..

I ordered my PX2611w at 7pm on Sunday from CDW and I got it today. I'm shocked it got here so quick.

I just unboxed this thing 5 min ago and so far I see no dead pixels or bleeding, but I will do some testing after this message.

The brightess was set at 100% and it about blew my retinas out. When I regain my vision I will try to figure out what to set the display controls to.

This PX here does not make any noise - for your benefit, I put my ear on its case and it's mute (and I am not deaf). Brightness is 0 (zero).
I don't know to what extent the power source plays any significant role for the noise; mine is powered through a CPS - CyberPower 1500AVR, it it matters.
Don't forget that this 25.5" monitor's pixel pitch is 0.2865 mm whereas Apple 23" is 0.258 mm.

This PX here does not make any noise - for your benefit, I put my ear on its case and it's mute (and I am not deaf). Brightness is 0 (zero).
I don't know to what extent the power source plays any significant role for the noise; mine is powered through a CPS - CyberPower 1500AVR, it it matters.
Don't forget that this 25.5" monitor's pixel pitch is 0.2865 mm whereas Apple 23" is 0.258 mm.

Thank you for the test. So the 23" has a closer pixel grid, you're saying. I hear people wanting larger mm and others wanting less. Doesn't a smaller mm number mean a sharper image? Are you trying to say the Apple is a better/sharper display?

Thanks!

I ordered mine from Dell today, shipped today, and should have it by this weekend... Will post opinions. Was going to order it from CDW but they said it wasnt instock and wouldnt be instock until next week. Dell also had free shipping so if i return it, I didnt loose out on shipping charges.... fingers crossed :)

I'm so close to buying this display that it's outrageous! I just need some....kind....of.....*gasp* confirmation that I wouldn't be disappointed after coming from a brand new Apple 23" Cinema Display. Someone, make me buy this Planar darnit! :)

It's not a case of not liking it. It's a case of how good it is compared to the Apple display. :D Just to have a frame of reference, before I spend $1k. Whether I get the money back or not still doesn't negate the fact that I need to spend $1k to even SEE the screen.

Yeah unfortunately I don't hold much hope in getting a "true" opinion online. I do believe you hear no hum from the display, but I can't guarantee myself that I won't hear a hum. This is based on my testing two Apple 23" Cinema Displays and both humming at less than full brightness. I've only found one or two instances on different forums with other people reporting the same thing. Therefore, most people just don't hear it or have too much ambient noise from their desktop computer etc to even notice it. I use a laptop and silence is a must....

But thanks for letting me know you hear no hum. It's definitely pushing me closer to getting a Planar. Just wish someone here had used both the Planar and the Apple and could tell me that the Planar is at least as good as the Apple, which is stunning..

better than apple. Also I hear no hum or whine from mine.

How is it better than Apple? Give me some real indication rather than what appears to be an opinion. :) Please. :)

larger, easier to read.

They're very similar, the apple is a great monitor with an h-ips panel and low latency as well.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the Apple is wide gamut - at least Apple says so:

"Offering accurate, brilliant color performance, the Cinema HD delivers up to 16.7 million colors across a wide gamut allowing you to see subtle nuances between colors from soft pastels to rich jewel tones. A wide viewing angle ensures uniform color from edge to edge. Apple's ColorSync technology allows you to create custom profiles to maintain consistent color onscreen and in print. The result: You can confidently use this display in all your color-critical applications."

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=AAA400F2&nplm=M9178LL/A

OK. Sod it. I'm going to take the plunge and try it. The worst thing that can happen is I'll return it if I don't like it. So here goes....

Gaaaah! I couldn't do it. I don't know what's wrong with me. I think I was completely spoiled by that bloody Apple display in all its gorgeous bezel....gaaa....gorgeousness! My wife is standing over my shoulder telling me to go buy that 23" Cinema Display again and live with the humming or get a white noise machine to drown the sound out. But then I feel like I'm compromising! But of course she's right in one way at least: the Planar is ugly as sin. And the Apple is gorgeous. I should just...click.....submit.....gahhh...

Bwaha!!! I just bought it. I frickin' bought it. Now the paranoia of excessive bleeding and dead pixels everywhere will haunt me until I set it up. I'm scared as all heck.

cdw beats that with a full month =] and their shipping is absurdly fast

also, how is the planar ugly? It's a black display. Very minimal, I like it.

The only thing with the planar, it smells funny. I noticed this while leaning over the vents to see if I could hear a noise.

cdw beats that with a full month =] and their shipping is absurdly fast

also, how is the planar ugly? It's a black display. Very minimal, I like it.

The only thing with the planar, it smells funny. I noticed this while leaning over the vents to see if I could hear a noise.

It's not that it's ugly per se. It's that it looks like EVERY other LCD on the market. Boring, black, plastic. Yick. I keep talking about it, but the Apple display is just stunning, and it fits into my Mac world very, very well. It turns on and off INSTANTLY, and the picture was just stunning. So let's see how this Planar compares shall we? I'm definitely excited to get it, and it IS a tad bigger than the 23" Apple, so it will definitely be an interesting comparison. Hopefully I'll get it fast.

And....it smells funny? Good lord! Screens that sound funny and SMELL funny! Whatever next! :D

I got the set from Dell for the same price as CDW, as well. $949 - 10% coupon (eBay) + tax and free delivery ended up with $914. I had a $100 gift certificate for Dell so I ended up paying $814, which isn't bad I suppose.

I really can't wait to get the display. It's hurting my eyes using this 15.4" MacBook Pro display. :D

It's not that it's ugly per se. It's that it looks like EVERY other LCD on the market. Boring, black, plastic. Yick. I keep talking about it, but the Apple display is just stunning, and it fits into my Mac world very, very well. It turns on and off INSTANTLY, and the picture was just stunning. So let's see how this Planar compares shall we? I'm definitely excited to get it, and it IS a tad bigger than the 23" Apple, so it will definitely be an interesting comparison. Hopefully I'll get it fast.

And....it smells funny? Good lord! Screens that sound funny and SMELL funny! Whatever next! :D

I got the set from Dell for the same price as CDW, as well. $949 - 10% coupon (eBay) + tax and free delivery ended up with $914. I had a $100 gift certificate for Dell so I ended up paying $814, which isn't bad I suppose.

I really can't wait to get the display. It's hurting my eyes using this 15.4" MacBook Pro display. :D

I don't think you'll be disappointed. haha and the odor was only when my nose was directly over the vents... the display gets pretty warm

Are there any pics of actaul setups with this monitor..

DSCF1399.JPG

DSCF1400.JPG

DSCF1401.JPG

DSCF1403.JPG

sorry for shitty pics, its all you get at 2am

I breezed through this thread but, been up all night. Midterms and all as a senior at uni :-p

So definitively, 1080p over VGA = no go? It's not huge but I would like to use it with my 360 (or if i get a ps3) It's either this or maybe waiting and just pulling the trigger on a 3008 :/ unless Apple comes out with a new 30. I hate monitor shopping... I'm spoiled with my 2007WFP IPS sexiness.

"WilliamG: Are you trying to say the Apple is a better/sharper display?"
No, I am just trying to say that they are not (almost) identical - less the noise for the Planar.
Again, I would prefer the Planar over Apple any day.

"WilliamG: Are you trying to say the Apple is a better/sharper display?"
No, I am just trying to say that they are not (almost) identical - less the noise for the Planar.
Again, I would prefer the Planar over Apple any day.

Alrighty! I will live and hope mine's as good as you make it out to be. :)

My primary concern is with the pixel pitch - I recently returned a Dell 2408 and while it had enough problems to warrant a return, I thought it was the perfect size for the resolution. Anyone have any problems with pixilation? Does the different panel type (IPS for the Planar vs. PVA for the Dell) make difference in this area?

"WilliamG,
Alrighty! I will live and hope mine's as good as you make it out to be."
Hope that too. Just in case, you can find more user input about Apple 23" on Apple's forums website - for ex. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1135625&tstart=30

Yep, I've looked a lot on Apple's forum, though interestingly nobody I saw there had any issue with humming from their display (or that noticed it, I should say).

Wish my Planar would ship already! :)

i'm still using a geforce 6800GT card — anyone know if this will give me problems with this monitor? i know gaming would be a big issue, obviously, but i would only be using it for movies/internetting etc. until i upgrade in a few months. thoughts?

sounds like a sweet display.

well, as i said, i'm not concerned about gaming in the short-term, really just that the card will be powerful enough to support the native resolution, which i believe it will.

i was considering dell's 2408 for awhile, but after everything i've read on these boards, i'm thinking it might be better to just shell out and buy this display. sounds like people are pretty happy with it.

I work with 23" Apple Cinema Displays pretty regularly on the job, mostly the newer "silent revision" models. They're generally very high quality displays, but I opened for the Planar PX2611W for my own system at home. After adjusting the settings on my Planar and calibrating it with an EyeOne Display 2, I'd say the color quality is just as good as the Apples I've used, and the Planar is better for gaming and video IMO.

I've owned two other Planar displays over the past seven years that I've been very pleased with. I also prefer the bigger dot pitch of the PX2611W. Planar's customer service has always been very good for me (only had minor questions about the older products, never had to send anything back to them for replacement, thankfully). On the down side, the PX2611W really hogs my desk space in a way that a 23" ACD probably wouldn't have. But still: no dead pixels, very minimal backlight bleeding, no banding, no hum I can detect over the sound of my way-too-loud PowerMac G5 and other external devices. Reading the older posts in this thread helped me immensely with getting the right settings, and the calibration really nailed things down for me.

Very pleased with my PX2611W after about three months of ownership. Glad to see they've come down a bit in price since last December. I bought mine from Atriniti.com.

I work with 23" Apple Cinema Displays pretty regularly on the job, mostly the newer "silent revision" models. They're generally very high quality displays, but I opened for the Planar PX2611W for my own system at home. After adjusting the settings on my Planar and calibrating it with an EyeOne Display 2, I'd say the color quality is just as good as the Apples I've used, and the Planar is better for gaming and video IMO.

I've owned two other Planar displays over the past seven years that I've been very pleased with. I also prefer the bigger dot pitch of the PX2611W. Planar's customer service has always been very good for me (only had minor questions about the older products, never had to send anything back to them for replacement, thankfully). On the down side, the PX2611W really hogs my desk space in a way that a 23" ACD probably wouldn't have. But still: no dead pixels, very minimal backlight bleeding, no banding, no hum I can detect over the sound of my way-too-loud PowerMac G5 and other external devices. Reading the older posts in this thread helped me immensely with getting the right settings, and the calibration really nailed things down for me.

Very pleased with my PX2611W after about three months of ownership. Glad to see they've come down a bit in price since last December. I bought mine from Atriniti.com.

Thanks for that update! Quick question: You say that the Planar is better gaming and video? How come?

Thanks again.

Back