Planar PX2611W 26"

the text is much easier to read on the planar.

I gotta say, when I got this monitor, I was amazed at how much sharper text was on LCD compared to CRT. Even CRTs I considered sharp don't come close. Although, I hate the black levels on LCD with a passion.. I think it's the only thing that bugs me with my Planar.. But I just have to deal with it, because my idea of an ideal black level would be to be able to turn out the lights and not even see the glow-- that ain't gonna happen anytime soon with LCD technology. :p

I gotta say, when I got this monitor, I was amazed at how much sharper text was on LCD compared to CRT. Even CRTs I considered sharp don't come close. Although, I hate the black levels on LCD with a passion.. I think it's the only thing that bugs me with my Planar.. But I just have to deal with it, because my idea of an ideal black level would be to be able to turn out the lights and not even see the glow-- that ain't gonna happen anytime soon with LCD technology. :p

the cleartype subpixel rendering with LCD is great for having sharp text =]

the text is much easier to read on the planar. not just because of the higher pitch, but because the contrast isnt so high. Its much more soothing on the eyes than the brighter nec. The pink/green ghosting was fixed when they sent me the new LCD, but there was still inverse ghosting when a bright object moved across a background or if I changed it out of native mode. The second NEC I received had a stuck pixel, as does the planar(im rmaing it until i get a perfect one, I'm not paying $1000 for a monitor that isnt perfect).

The backlight on my px2611w is very even and I don't see any bleeding. Black levels are nice.

Just order the px2611w from CDW and keep exchanging till you get a good one (im doing advance cross ship rma once it gets approved).

The one I played with was very bright even at 0. Also I noticed some odd things in the OSD; DV mode defaulted to text instead of standard; default color mode was User, while sRGB mode (there were sRGB color AND DV modes) just turned everything pink...so out of curiosity, what settings are you using?

The one I played with was very bright even at 0. Also I noticed some odd things in the OSD; DV mode defaulted to text instead of standard; default color mode was User, while sRGB mode (there were sRGB color AND DV modes) just turned everything pink...so out of curiosity, what settings are you using?

I'm using the sRGB DV mode. Once you put it into that, the color modes no longer affect things.

It is not pink at all. The whites are white and blacks are black and everything inbetween seems nice. Like I said before tho, the 252-254 are almost indistinguishable from 255. There is also no banding in the sRGB mode. contrast at 37% brightness at 100%

I'm using the sRGB DV mode. Once you put it into that, the color modes no longer affect things.

It is not pink at all. The whites are white and blacks are black and everything inbetween seems nice. Like I said before tho, the 252-254 are almost indistinguishable from 255. There is also no banding in the sRGB mode. contrast at 37% brightness at 100%

That's interesting. Toasty said that sRGB mode turned the screen pink on his, and the one I played with definitely turned pink when switching to sRGB mode (although it looked great in default User mode). Is there a new revision?

One other question: Toasty mentioned the side bars are not black even when set to 0; how does that look on yours?

That's interesting. Toasty said that sRGB mode turned the screen pink on his, and the one I played with definitely turned pink when switching to sRGB mode (although it looked great in default User mode). Is there a new revision?

One other question: Toasty mentioned the side bars are not black even when set to 0; how does that look on yours?

I only have it hooked up to my computer. I play video games on a 61" =]

If you have this Planar 26", please help me out. Go to this website:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

... and scroll down to the "Clock/phase calibration" pattern and view it at fullscreen (F11 on your browser). Do you see gray all across the screen or do you see various spots of color? I see a pink blob in the upper left corner, and a big green patch that takes up about a quarter of the screen in the lower left corner. The rest is mostly gray with some amount of tint here and there. When I put up a solid white test image on my screen I can't see these big discoloration areas. With solid gray I think I can see some discoloration but it's very faint. It's only with that test pattern that I see it very clearly.

To those who know what's causing this, please let me know. And is whatever causes this a typical problem for LCDs? It seems like my old 20" LCDs only had dark patches where the backlight was uneven, but not discoloration.

If you have this Planar 26", please help me out. Go to this website:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

... and scroll down to the "Clock/phase calibration" pattern and view it at fullscreen (F11 on your browser). Do you see gray all across the screen or do you see various spots of color? I see a pink blob in the upper left corner, and a big green patch that takes up about a quarter of the screen in the lower left corner. The rest is mostly gray with some amount of tint here and there. When I put up a solid white test image on my screen I can't see these big discoloration areas. With solid gray I think I can see some discoloration but it's very faint. It's only with that test pattern that I see it very clearly.

To those who know what's causing this, please let me know. And is whatever causes this a typical problem for LCDs? It seems like my old 20" LCDs only had dark patches where the backlight was uneven, but not discoloration.

Maybe it's an optical illusion that only certain people see.. If I sit 2 feet or closer with mine I can see what you are talking about, if I move back a few feet it becomes more uniform grey... But I don't see any weird color issue outside of that test with mine. I swear as I moved my head around while sitting at 2 feet, the discoloration moved around, always staying in the periphery.

Thanks to all who've tried this for me. The effect doesn't go away no matter how far/close I am from the monitor. Looks like this one goes back too--on my 2nd one already. Man... quality control is a dying art.

Notnyt:

Well you were right; according to the Planar rep I spoke to today, the PX2611W is using an H-IPS panel rather than an S-IPS panel. She refused to tell me the model number, but as far as I can tell from the LG-Philips site, there's only one 26" IPS.

I tried to order it today and CDW is out of stock...:mad:

Notnyt:

Well you were right; according to the Planar rep I spoke to today, the PX2611W is using an H-IPS panel rather than an S-IPS panel. She refused to tell me the model number, but as far as I can tell from the LG-Philips site, there's only one 26" IPS.

I tried to order it today and CDW is out of stock...:mad:

Order it at newegg, they have it in stock, and I bought mine there.

back in stock at cdw.

I know, I grabbed one this morning and it will be here tomorrow! :)

CDW was more expensive than the others, but I chose them because I will RMA this thing in a heartbeat if I see a single dead pixel or any backlight bleed, and I will keep RMAing until I'm satisfied. For $1000 I want perfection, and I don't know anyone else who offers unlimited returns and pays shipping both ways.

Wish me luck...

CDW was more expensive than the others, but I chose them because I will RMA this thing in a heartbeat if I see a single dead pixel or any backlight bleed, and I will keep RMAing until I'm satisfied. For $1000 I want perfection, and I don't know anyone else who offers unlimited returns and pays shipping both ways.

Wish me luck...

yep, me too. My RMA should be here tomorrow or Monday. I had 1 dead green pixel.

$1000 i expect no issues.

By the way, this thing is amazing once calibrated. delta-e of 0.2 max of 0.6 from the tests I just ran.

I'll be posting a ton of info shortly, along with a color profile.

Wish me luck...

yes, same here. paid shipping and MY OWN salesman. Andres. I call him up for anything whenever I want to. He calls me back. talks, works out everything possible. Really awesome company.

monitor makes me jizz my pants since august. :eek:

So, I got my colorimeter today. While it came in just after I sent out my NEC display (so I can't test that one) I was at least able to get some info on the Planar. I hope you guys enjoy this because it took a heap of time.

The default mode this comes in is text. It has provided to be the most accurate and brightest mode with the highest contrast.

The Photo setting was the worst out of all of them.

I'll let the results speak for themselves. Tests were performed with Lacie Blue Eye Pro. I used 6500k as a white point and 2.2 for gamma. I like my screen bright, brightness was 100% and contrast was 50% as settings are default.

The settings I chose after playing around with it for a couple days was 6800K white point and the rest of the settings were all default.
After calibration:
px2611w.jpg

Links to all files and icc profile are available at http://countercultured.net/cal/px2611w

Text Before (default) Delta-E (Avg/Max): 5.5/10.5 White Point & Black Point: 401.7cd/m2 0.76cd/m2
Text after Delta-E (Avg/Max): 0.2/0.5 White Point & Black Point: 376.5cd/m2 0.76cd/m2

Standard Before Delta-E (Avg/Max): 5.3/10.2 White Point & Black Point: 394.8cd/m2 0.76cd/m2
Standard After Delta-E (Avg/Max): 0.4/2.0 White Point & Black Point: 364.7cd/m2 0.76cd/m2

sRGB Before Delta-E (Avg/Max): 4.2/8.1 White Point & Black Point: 344.5cd/m2 0.77cd/m2
sRGB After Delta-E (Avg/Max): 0.3/0.7 White Point & Black Point: 331.8cd/m2 0.77cd/m2

Gaming Before Delta-E (Avg/Max): 8.2/15.6 White Point & Black Point: 401.3cd/m2 0.98cd/m2
Gaming After Delta-E (Avg/Max): 0.9/2 White Point & Black Point: 368.5cd/m2 0.99cd/m2

Movie Before Delta-E (Avg/Max): 6.8/12.9 White Point & Black Point: 398.1cd/m2 0.87cd/m2
Movie After Delta-E (Avg/Max): 0.5/2.1 White Point & Black Point: 367.5cd/m2 0.88cd/m2

Photo Before Delta-E (Avg/Max): 4.9/10.8 White Point & Black Point: 401.5cd/m2 0.76cd/m2
Photo After Delta-E (Avg/Max): 2.0/5.1 White Point & Black Point: 367.2cd/m2 0.76cd/m2

Man I might just have to pull the trigger on this puppy. Seems good for gaming and for picture work.

Thanks Notnyt, great post! I can't wait to hear how your replacement compares to the first one.

Unfortunately, CDW let me down. When I ordered it, I told the guy that their price was higher than everybody else's, but I'd pay it if he promised I'd get it by this evening. It arrived in my city this morning, but won't be delivered until Monday...and since UPS won't let me pick it up, its going to sit in a warehouse about 5 miles from my house all f*cking weekend! :mad: So I called CDW back and they offered to refund my shipping for the inconvenience (a whopping $17 off a $900 monitor, thanks for nothing). I'm so pissed I might just refuse shipment and buy it somewhere else...NewEgg has it back in stock for much less than CDW...

At the very least, from this day forth, I will pay extra if I have to to get every single f*cking thing I ever order shipped FEDEX ONLY. No more UPS...lazy-ass cocksuckers.

Thanks Notnyt, great post! I can't wait to hear how your replacement compares to the first one.

Unfortunately, CDW let me down. When I ordered it, I told the guy that their price was higher than everybody else's, but I'd pay it if he promised I'd get it by this evening. It arrived in my city this morning, but won't be delivered until Monday...and since UPS won't let me pick it up, its going to sit in a warehouse about 5 miles from my house all f*cking weekend! :mad: So I called CDW back and they offered to refund my shipping for the inconvenience (a whopping $17 off a $900 monitor, thanks for nothing). I'm so pissed I might just refuse shipment and buy it somewhere else...NewEgg has it back in stock for much less than CDW...

At the very least, from this day forth, I will pay extra if I have to to get every single f*cking thing I ever order shipped FEDEX ONLY. No more UPS...lazy-ass cocksuckers.

Its worth it to get it from CDW just in case you need to return it.

If you factor in shipping isn't Newegg only about $10 less? Be aware that they have a very strict return policy on LCDs regarding dead pixels.

What about buying it from Dell? They seem to be good on returns at least for me.

Dell actually has an employee purchase program with my work, so I can get it from them for $877 total including shipping and tax...but they don't have it in stock and said it won't ship for 1-2 weeks, and I wanted it this weekend...but look how that turned out...the knowledge that my new monitor has been sitting 5 miles from my house since this morning, but I can't have it until Monday is really pissing me off.

Fvcking UPS.

If you factor in shipping isn't Newegg only about $10 less? Be aware that they have a very strict return policy on LCDs regarding dead pixels.

No, because CDW charges sales tax and NewEgg doesn't. So NewEgg's total price, including shipping, is $899. CDW's total price with shipping is $965.

No, because CDW charges sales tax and NewEgg doesn't. So NewEgg's total price, including shipping, is $899. CDW's total price with shipping is $965.

and if you have any issues with the monitor you can return it to cdw, you need a bunch of dead pixels for newegg to return it.

backlight bleed? good luck

So strange, UPS in my area is much better than FedEx, at least UPS does delivery on Saturday.

So strange, UPS in my area is much better than FedEx, at least UPS does delivery on Saturday.

I think UPS only delivers on air packages(2nd day air, next day air, and overnight) on Saturday's to my house. Ground and three day select don't. :(

EW27: Don't blame CDW, it's all and only UPS' fault.... They do have many faults, UPS, I mean.....

So you'll get the monitor on Monday and you'll have a great week, full of fun to play with your new Planar.... I have this monitor for 8 months now, it's my bread and butter, and I love it.

BTW, hey, ~El~Jefe~, remember who introduced you to Andres at CDW?........... That guy owes me some $$$ as a commission, I guess.... No?

I can count on one hand the number of UPS-delivered boxes that haven't had significant damage to them. Fedex is the exact opposite.

So even this defective monitor is pretty awesome. I'm getting spoiled already--the 20"-ers are looking mighty cramped :D

I just received my rma. no dead pixels and better backlighting/black levels.

/me dances.

and some more info

new monitor before calibration. completely blows the old one away.

px2611w-before.jpg

Congratulations! I'm still waiting on mine...

Just out of curiosity, whats the manufacturing date and revision of the new one?

Back