Planar 26 inch IPS

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
2,709
I'm thinking about picking up the Planar 26 inch IPS monitor from Amazon. I know its 1920x1200 which I will like much more then than ultra high res of the U2711. But I've never owed a Planar monitor. Are they any good? I can't seem to find a review on the monitor it self...
 
I have 3 of their 27" TN panels, and they are good for a TN. Never seen any of their IPS stuff...
 
I assume you are referring to the 25.5" (sometimes advertised as 26") H-IPS panel Planar PX2611w monitor. I have that monitor and I also recommended it to a friend who does professional graphics work. He loves it. I use it as a secondary monitor.

It's a great monitor, but most of the time I use my NEC LCD2690WUXi which uses the exact same H-IPS panel manufactured by LG Display. But since the Planar lacks all the extra electronics that the NEC has, it was also a lot cheaper.

At around $715 it is cheaper than what I originally paid for. I paid $785 a few years ago. I'm actually surprised there's still some around since Planar has stopped manufacturing them back in 2009.

If you want to be able to attach a console to the monitor to play games, then be aware that there have been reported issues of color banding issues. But it only happens with games, playing a DVD or Blu-Ray movie is fine. Playing games with a computer is fine.

One good thing about Planar is that if you have a dead pixel in a PX series monitor Planar will probably send you a replacement. In the past (back in 2002 when I bought the S-PVA panel 19" Planar PX191) they actually had zero dead pixel policy listed on their site for all to see. It has since been removed, I've read many people's accounts where Planar did in fact still honor that policy for the PX series (as long as the monitor was still in production). However, I am not sure if they will do for PX series monitors that uses TN panels.
 
i have owned two Planar monitors now, a 17-inch (the first to have 16ms!!! ahahha) and the PX2611 you're talking about here.

the PX2611 is a fantastic monitor. the IPS panel is exceptional and i've used it to play everything from Crisis to CIV5 with fantastic results. and i too like the 16:10 ratio, so this is a huge plus.

on the downside here, if it matters to you, there are only 2 inputs on this monitor - DVI and VGA. so, if you're looking to use it for your computer and for a console, there's a switch box in your future. And as mentioned above there are banding issues that will make you not want to use it as a console monitor anyway.

But if you're like me and you're a PC gamer (a dying breed), i'd fully recommend this monitor. Planar is top notch quality you won't regret owning.
 
Back
Top