place pictures as wallpapers

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
why do when you place a picture as a wallpaper on the desktop colors/it look different?

If the original pictures resolution is being changed to make it fit your desktop it may end up looking grainy or blotchy. Especially if it is being stretched. Having your color quality set to 16 bit instead of 32 bit will do it too.

Windows uses some crappy algorithm to resize pictures, use an external application like Photoshop to pre-resize your pictures to match the resolution of your monitor.

And yeah, run in 32-bit color mode...

I know about stupid 32bit color.

You don't understand. Has anyone else notice that about wallpapers?

I don't know about vista but I believe on XP if you select a jpg file for your desktop it gets converted to a bmp file. I use irfanview to resize to what ever resolution my desktop is set to, and its free. It will also let you convert a jpg to a bmp.

He's probably noticing some change due to some transparency layer put on the wallpaper in order to display widgets gadgets and other crap Vista introduces to clutter the desktop.

Can you be a little more specific on what your problem is. I don't understand what it is from what little description you have given so far.

I'm a bit bewildered about what's being asked here as well. Are you saying that the image colours change when you set an image as your desktop wallpaper?

Back