Pixel 4 or OnePlus 7 Pro?

Its time for me to move away from my Samsung s8, and I believe I have narrowed it down to two phones, the Pixel 4 XL and the OnePlus 7 Pro.
Now, I don't have money to burn or anything so the lower cost of the OnePlus is a bigger...plus, however I love the idea of having stock Android in the Pixel 4 XL (one big reason I'm moving away from Samsung, all the added bloatware).

Here is a list of my wants in a phone:
- Speed and snappiness in navigating in/between apps is my number 1 must have.
- Longevity, as I only upgrade my phone once every 3-4 years.
- Battery life
- Screen clarity
- Sound, audio from the device is really important. Thats why it sucked when Google removed the front facing speakers. Down facing speakers can get flipped.
-Build quality, I don't use cases so this thing needs to be tough.

Things I don't care about:
-Cameras, does it take a clear enough photo? pretty much any phone camera made in the last 5 years is good enough for me.
- "Built in software features!" Pretty much any step from stock andriod is a lost point in my book.

Anyways, each the OntPlus and the Pixel will be $200 off on blackfriday this year, so I really want to pick something up that day.
What do you guys say?

(I know this is my call, but I just wanted to get other peoples 2cents)

Thanks

What country/carrier? I'd add the Oneplus 7t to the list, but that's just because I dislike the wraparound screens...

What country/carrier? I'd add the Oneplus 7t to the list, but that's just because I dislike the wraparound screens...
I would echo this plus the screen is much brighter than the 7pros. But if it's between those 2 the pro is my pick

Real question should be 7 Pro or 7T. Only real advantage of the Pro, IMO, is the 256GB storage option.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
As a mostly happy 2 XL owner that was looking forward to picking up the 4 XL, I'd go with the OP 7 Pro or 7T. OP has still been relatively quick to update their phones and for at least 2 years for the past couple generations. Meanwhile Google has been putting the bare minimum hardware for a flagship in the Pixels while also cutting back on big software perks like unlimited media storage backup and artificially limiting software features in previous Pixels as well. So they're making it hard to be a Pixel fan these days. So I'm looking to replace my 2 XL with either a OP phone or maybe Asus now that they're taking software support somewhat seriously now. Speaking of which the Zenfone 6 might be worth considering as well, as it has already got Android 10 in some markets at least as well and has pretty good hardware in it.

current prices:
OnePlus 7 Pro $549
OnePlus 7T $599
iPhone 11 $699 (baseline)
Pixel 4 $799 (avoid - planned obsolescence galore)

for a phone to last 4 years, I strongly recommend you to consider the iPhone 11. If not, choose OnePlus 7 Pro/7T.

Oh man I forgot to mention this!! I HATE curved screens, its the biggest flaw of the S8, I accidentally touch the screen all the time because of the stupid design that does nothing other then look nicer.
If the 7 Pro didn't have a curved screen I would have bought it already, and the fact the 4 XL does not have one is major advantage over the 7 Pro for me.

Real question should be 7 Pro or 7T. Only real advantage of the Pro, IMO, is the 256GB storage option.
I would like the extra storage, I travel for work and put media on my phone. Plus the camera bump on the 7T turns me off a bit, and I have never taken a selfey before in my entire life, so I do like the camera pop out of the 7 Pro, because its out of the way and hidden. I can't get the 7T Pro in Canada.

current prices:
OnePlus 7 Pro $549
OnePlus 7T $599
iPhone 11 $699 (baseline)
Pixel 4 $799 (avoid - planned obsolescence galore)

for a phone to last 4 years, I strongly recommend you to consider the iPhone 11. If not, choose OnePlus 7 Pro/7T.
Yeahhhh I think the iphone 11 is a beautiful phone, and I would be happy with it, but I like android and would like to stick with it.

I just saw you want your phone to be durable without a case. OnePlus ain’t it... lol

seriously consider the iPhone or a case!!!

haha Im not a case guy... I only ever use screen protectors.
Is the build quality of the OnePlus not good or something?

There are many drop test videos you could watch.

OnePlus hardly survives any drops. It’s also not very water resistant. All other flagships fair better but almost none ever gets updated. Pixel 4 may be supported for 2 years but, with the corners cut, it will be obsolete faster than any flagship this year. At this point, if you seriously want android that’s durable without a case and could last your minimum of 3 years, get a Samsung Galaxy S10 or Note 10. Or get a case for the OnePlus 7T!

Apple 11’s drop test results is nothing short of amazing. It took extraordinary efforts to crack its glass. It’s also water resistant enough a lengthy soak in water. This phone will also easily last 5 years.

Last edited:
Get the 7t as if you ever crack the front screen glass it's replaceable vs 7pro which is boned to the screen. Trust me get a very slim case and screen protector with the 7T. 128gb is not enough?

I own both the regular Pixel 4 and the OnePlus 7 Pro and honestly a few factors have to come into consideration.

First is the physical size of the phones themselves. If you're like me with medium sized hands I can guarantee you will find yourself having to use your OP7P with two hands more often than not. It's pretty much 3 inches wide and about 6.7 inches tall. I opted for the regular Pixel 4 for it's smaller size. If you have big hands then it's not so much an issue.

Second is camera. How important is camera quality to you? The difference between both phones cameras (even with GCam on the OP7P) is night and day with the Pixel being a lot better in every facet.

Third is software. OxygenOS on the OP7P is nice as it's the closest to stock that I've seen from an OEM which is strange that they have had nothing but issues with Android 10. Yes, OnePlus is speedy with updates, but from what I've been reading it doesn't give me the impression that they put much into QA.

Out of the box OxygenOS is bare bones though, nothing too special just stock Google apps and OnePlus apps.

One thing to consider is the OP7P has seemed to have taken a backseat to the 7T which is messed up considering the OP7P was released five months prior.

The pixel lineup gets updates on day of release or within a week after depending on the carrier. Granted nothing's perfect bugs are usually patched relatively quickly.

When comparing stock pixel software to the stock OP7P software you'll see features that people wish would come to other brands like call screening, live transcribe, better Google assistant, and Google Camera (that is ported to most phones but requires tweaking and tuning to work properly), and basically a stock Android experience.

Fourth and last. Yes the regular P4 battery is small, but the 4000Mah battery in the OP7P isn't all that great either. In fact based on the same usage I'm only 3nding up at around 10-15% less battery at the end of the day when I put my phone on the charger for the night.

The bad reviews the phone is receiving is because of the battery, but considering most of these reviewers hadn't spent more than a week with the phone it doesn't paint a complete picture.

The difference between the two IMO is the software experience. If you value hardware features over a more solid software experience and don't mind the physical size of the phone go with the OP7P, if you want what I consider to be a more complete package I'm terms of software, camera, and usability go with the Pixel 4.

There are many drop test videos you could watch.

OnePlus hardly survives any drops. It’s also not very water resistant. All other flagships fair better but almost none ever gets updated. Pixel 4 may be supported for 2 years but, with the corners cut, it will be obsolete faster than any flagship this year. At this point, if you seriously want android that’s durable without a case and could last your minimum of 3 years, get a Samsung Galaxy S10 or Note 10. Or get a case for the OnePlus 7T!

Apple 11’s drop test results is nothing short of amazing. It took extraordinary efforts to crack its glass. It’s also water resistant enough a lengthy soak in water. This phone will also easily last 5 years.

I've had Samsungs for the last 6 years and Im just ready to move on with them. They was well made nice looking phones, but Im done with Samsungs andriod overlay, and I just want to try something new.
I have a few friends that still are using their pixel 2, so maybe if I keep a pixel 4 in good shape, then I can hopefully get it to last 3-4 years.

Get the 7t as if you ever crack the front screen glass it's replaceable vs 7pro which is boned to the screen. Trust me get a very slim case and screen protector with the 7T. 128gb is not enough?

I would get the 7t Pro but they are not sold in Canada, and because I don't even take selfies, I want the pro because it does not have the front facing camera cutout like the 7t/base model 7 does.

I own both the regular Pixel 4 and the OnePlus 7 Pro and honestly a few factors have to come into consideration.

First is the physical size of the phones themselves. If you're like me with medium sized hands I can guarantee you will find yourself having to use your OP7P with two hands more often than not. It's pretty much 3 inches wide and about 6.7 inches tall. I opted for the regular Pixel 4 for it's smaller size. If you have big hands then it's not so much an issue.

Second is camera. How important is camera quality to you? The difference between both phones cameras (even with GCam on the OP7P) is night and day with the Pixel being a lot better in every facet.

Third is software. OxygenOS on the OP7P is nice as it's the closest to stock that I've seen from an OEM which is strange that they have had nothing but issues with Android 10. Yes, OnePlus is speedy with updates, but from what I've been reading it doesn't give me the impression that they put much into QA.

Out of the box OxygenOS is bare bones though, nothing too special just stock Google apps and OnePlus apps.

One thing to consider is the OP7P has seemed to have taken a backseat to the 7T which is messed up considering the OP7P was released five months prior.

The pixel lineup gets updates on day of release or within a week after depending on the carrier. Granted nothing's perfect bugs are usually patched relatively quickly.

When comparing stock pixel software to the stock OP7P software you'll see features that people wish would come to other brands like call screening, live transcribe, better Google assistant, and Google Camera (that is ported to most phones but requires tweaking and tuning to work properly), and basically a stock Android experience.

Fourth and last. Yes the regular P4 battery is small, but the 4000Mah battery in the OP7P isn't all that great either. In fact based on the same usage I'm only 3nding up at around 10-15% less battery at the end of the day when I put my phone on the charger for the night.

The bad reviews the phone is receiving is because of the battery, but considering most of these reviewers hadn't spent more than a week with the phone it doesn't paint a complete picture.

The difference between the two IMO is the software experience. If you value hardware features over a more solid software experience and don't mind the physical size of the phone go with the OP7P, if you want what I consider to be a more complete package I'm terms of software, camera, and usability go with the Pixel 4.

These are all good points, I have small hands, so anything bigger then my S8 is already going to feel very big to me. I wanted the XL because of the usable battery size, dispite it going to feel big in my hands, however if I can get a full 24 hours between charges on the regular pixel then that might change if I get a regular pixel or XL.

I usually don't take pictures with my phone other then for things im selling on craigslist or asking "does this look infected to you?" I use my fujifil x100T if I want to take pictures. So phone camera is not a huge selling feature for me, so I know that hurts the Pixel for me.

As of right now, the biggest selling feature for me is software, and how well I can flip between apps, how snappy the phone feels in the UI is the most important thing for me. As of right now, I can't tell what would feel more snappy, the 7Pro or the Pixel 4, Im assuming it would be the Pixel 4, but that is just an assumption due to the stock android.

I really am 50% torn at this point.

I've had Samsungs for the last 6 years and Im just ready to move on with them. They was well made nice looking phones, but Im done with Samsungs andriod overlay, and I just want to try something new.
I have a few friends that still are using their pixel 2, so maybe if I keep a pixel 4 in good shape, then I can hopefully get it to last 3-4 years.

I would get the 7t Pro but they are not sold in Canada, and because I don't even take selfies, I want the pro because it does not have the front facing camera cutout like the 7t/base model 7 does.

These are all good points, I have small hands, so anything bigger then my S8 is already going to feel very big to me. I wanted the XL because of the usable battery size, dispite it going to feel big in my hands, however if I can get a full 24 hours between charges on the regular pixel then that might change if I get a regular pixel or XL.

I usually don't take pictures with my phone other then for things im selling on craigslist or asking "does this look infected to you?" I use my fujifil x100T if I want to take pictures. So phone camera is not a huge selling feature for me, so I know that hurts the Pixel for me.

As of right now, the biggest selling feature for me is software, and how well I can flip between apps, how snappy the phone feels in the UI is the most important thing for me. As of right now, I can't tell what would feel more snappy, the 7Pro or the Pixel 4, Im assuming it would be the Pixel 4, but that is just an assumption due to the stock android.

Only way to know for certain is to try them and see which works best for you. I've had no problem with returns for refund to OnePlus or Google. I had the 12GB/256GB 7 Pro for about a week and it was wickedly fast and smooth. I just couldn't deal with the curved screen. The 4XL was a pass for me because I thought it not a significant upgrade from my 3XL.

Only way to know for certain is to try them and see which works best for you. I've had no problem with returns for refund to OnePlus or Google. I had the 12GB/256GB 7 Pro for about a week and it was wickedly fast and smooth. I just couldn't deal with the curved screen. The 4XL was a pass for me because I thought it not a significant upgrade from my 3XL.

Damn that might be the answer for me then, After owning a curved screen I promised myself never again. I was just hoping the 7 Pro curve was only slight, as I could not tell how bad it was in the pictures.

Last edited:

Both are snappy. Running them side by side the OP7P wins slightly due to it being UFS 3, but day to day use you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference.

The OP7P is a specs monster, but I found the phone cumbersome. I have a job that has me on my feet walking all the time and honestly I got annoyed because of how often I'd have to stop just to respond to a text. With the Pixel 4 while I can't do everything one handed texting is one thing I can easily do without having to stop what I'm doing, same as taking pictures and browsing the web.

To me that alone negates the slight performance advantage of the OP7P.

I'm torn between the pixel 4xl and the one plus 7T pro.
Pixel 4XL 128gb is $1000

I can get two one plus 7T pro's for myself and my wife for the same price....

The One Plus 7T Pro is the same thing as the One Plus 7 pro?

I'm pretty sure I will be more happy with the pixel4xl though. I really like the monthly updates, camera and service from google. How much better is the camera on the pixel4xl vs the one plus 7T pro?
I also hate curved glass but not enough to pay twice as much to not have it.

Is the pixel 4XL worth twice the price? If not I would be purchasing 2 One plus 7pros instead.

I too was attracted to the One Plus 7 Pro for it's nice OLED screen, and excellent speakers but I am in the camp that couldn't handle the distortion and vertical line reflective glare of the curved screen. For others that didn't mind the curved screen it didn't matter.

In your own words you said you "HATE" curved screens. As for price in a phone? Why should I buy a phone that makes me unhappy with it, if it's half price or one fourth the price I don't put that into the equation.

There is that and much more to like in the Pixel 4 XL :)

I was just thinking about the wife and getting two phones instead of one with my phone budget. I'm leaning towards the One plus 7 pro right now. two phones for $1100, or one pixel 4xl for 1000(800 on Black Friday?).

Prior to the release of the Pixel 4 XL, I was attracted to the One Plus 7 Pro for it's nice OLED screen and excellent speakers, but I am in the camp that couldn't handle the distortion and vertical line reflective glare of the curved screen. For others that didn't mind the curved screen it didn't matter.

In your own words you said you "HATE" curved screens. As for price in a phone? Why should I buy a phone that makes me unhappy with it, if it's half price or one fourth the price I don't put that into the equation.

I'm pretty sure I will be more happy with the pixel4xl though. I really like the monthly updates, camera and service from google.

Prior to the release of the Pixel 4 XL, I was attracted to the One Plus 7 Pro for it's nice OLED screen and excellent speakers, but I am in the camp that couldn't handle the distortion and vertical line reflective glare of the curved screen. For others that didn't mind the curved screen it didn't matter.

Somehow it appears I responded to your post before you posted it lol

I had a Nexus 6p before my one plus 5t. This is my personal assesment based on my own experiance and after watching countless reviews. Google is VERY good at packaging good cameras and ensuring your phone gets the latest vanilla android. What aren't they good at? Keeping your phone fast. My Nexus and friends I know with Pixels generally start complaning about slowdowns somewhere along the way.

Oneplus is GREAT about keeping your phone fast. My 5t still flies. It isn't as up to date as google phones with android 10, but I do have 9, which is still ahead of a great many other android phones. The camera is not great at night. In bright light it can hang with anyone but it sucks at night. Pure and simple.

I had a Nexus 6p before my one plus 5t. This is my personal assesment based on my own experiance and after watching countless reviews. Google is VERY good at packaging good cameras and ensuring your phone gets the latest vanilla android. What aren't they good at? Keeping your phone fast. My Nexus and friends I know with Pixels generally start complaning about slowdowns somewhere along the way.

Oneplus is GREAT about keeping your phone fast. My 5t still flies. It isn't as up to date as google phones with android 10, but I do have 9, which is still ahead of a great many other android phones. The camera is not great at night. In bright light it can hang with anyone but it sucks at night. Pure and simple.
Is it better than the camera in my existing phone though? Pixel 2 XL? Here is a night shot I took 2 weeks ago.
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191109225702122_COVER.jpg

There are enough reviews out there to suggest that the OnePlus 7 Pro/7T has one of the best rear cameras out there. DxOMark even said the OnePlus is better than Google this year. Pixel 4 camera is rather disappointing though still really good. The OnePlus front facing camera sucks though. Quite frankly I simply don’t trust folks who claim the OnePlus 7 rear camera being terrible right now. I’ve seen the photos. They’re quite good. Obviously there are better, but at what price? The iPhone 11 at $699 definitely. But is the Pixel 4 at $799 better, if better at all?

with all the other corners cut from the Pixel 4, I just wouldn’t recommend that phone at all.

My 5t is probably on par with the pixel 2 in terms of camera. But the camera in the pixel 3 series destroys it.
This can't be true. The Pixel 2 camera is almost as good as the Pixel 3 in the first place. So your 5t is either nowhere near the Pixel 2 (which was the case in 2017 when they were released) or it's getting close to Pixel 3 quality.

I suspect if you actually look at your photos on a large screen instead of a phone screen, you'll see the typical "Oneplus Oil Painting" effect. It'll be better if you're using the GCam mod but still not at Pixel 2 levels.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
There are enough reviews out there to suggest that the OnePlus 7 Pro/7T has one of the best rear cameras out there. DxOMark even said the OnePlus is better than Google this year. Pixel 4 camera is rather disappointing though still really good. The OnePlus front facing camera sucks though. Quite frankly I simply don’t trust folks who claim the OnePlus 7 rear camera being terrible right now. I’ve seen the photos. They’re quite good. Obviously there are better, but at what price? The iPhone 11 at $699 definitely. But is the Pixel 4 at $799 better, if better at all?

with all the other corners cut from the Pixel 4, I just wouldn’t recommend that phone at all.
pixels never have the best hardware, but they have been good phones for me. Or maybe you mean something else? I don't like that it does not have a fingerprint reader, but I do like that it has flat glass. I certainly don't want to downgrade my camera.

My 5t is probably on par with the pixel 2 in terms of camera. But the camera in the pixel 3 series destroys it.

This can't be true. The Pixel 2 camera is almost as good as the Pixel 3 in the first place. So your 5t is either nowhere near the Pixel 2 (which was the case in 2017 when they were released) or it's getting close to Pixel 3 quality.

I suspect if you actually look at your photos on a large screen instead of a phone screen, you'll see the typical "Oneplus Oil Painting" effect. It'll be better if you're using the GCam mod but still not at Pixel 2 levels.

Yeah, that didn't make sense at all.. there was a negligible difference between the Pixel 2 and 3 and again with the 4, hah.

Given that the Pixel shares the same camera sensor as most other flagship Android phones, most of its advantage is in software, which is why you can get some good results from using the G-cam app on other phones. But it seems that G-Cam can be much more laggy and crash on other phones too.

Yeah, that didn't make sense at all.. there was a negligible difference between the Pixel 2 and 3 and again with the 4, hah.

Given that the Pixel shares the same camera sensor as most other flagship Android phones, most of its advantage is in software, which is why you can get some good results from using the G-cam app on other phones. But it seems that G-Cam can be much more laggy and crash on other phones too.

On my OP7P I fiddled around with a number of GCam mods/configs and the results weren't so stellar. Sure in some scenarios were better, but others not so much. Selfies were way too dark, and in a lot of cases pictures were grainy or pixelated.

At the end of the day I got tired of fiddling around with settings and wanted something that worked without having to tweak settings all the time.

Well, that’s it. No frigging Android recommendations for the year. If only had Essential released a phone this year...

Well, that’s it. No frigging Android recommendations for the year. If only had Essential released a phone this year...

Lol, pretty much where I'm at. If I had to choose a new phone right now it'd prolly have to be an iPhone and I've never even owned one before. :mad:

Lol, pretty much where I'm at. If I had to choose a new phone right now it'd prolly have to be an iPhone and I've never even owned one before. :mad:

I'm still gobsmacked by the possibility that the iPhone 11 series may be the phone of the year even among erstwhile Android fans, simply for one reason: Apple didn't screw up. Like this was a 100-metre dash, and Apple's rival runners left their shoelaces untied.

It does suggest that Apple's iterative approach works at least some times. It can lead to being overly cautious, but it also reduces that temptation to wreck your product (or at least, waste resources) simply to say you have a unique feature. Google, LG, Sony... they almost trip over themselves to introduce gimmicks and then struggle with the basics. And when Apple does stick its neck out, there's usually some indication that it has clearly thought about a feature before implementing it (like Face ID).

Back