Pirate Told To Get 200K YouTube Hits Or Face Huge Fine

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
As the alternative to paying a hefty fine, this guy was asked to make an anti-piracy PSA video that got 200K views. So far, he's at over 750K.

…the BSA say that the 30-year-old’s fate lies with how popular the video becomes. Unless the video gets 200,000 views on YouTube, there’s a suggestion that a huge fine will become payable. “If I promote my story and my video gets at least 200 thousand views, I will only serve the general part of my sentence,” Jakub explains.

235k usd fine if the conversion is right? for 8 years of distribution?

seems like a "low" fine, considering some of the news stories you hear about people sharing music. but still an unrealistic amount to be paid

wonder if the video is to cover the fines or to reduce jail time (which specifics werent given?)

So the ad revenue pays his sentence?

That's actually what I wanted to see, no ad loaded for me when using the YouTube website directly (which should have the highest chance of loading an ad if the video has it enabled.)

235k usd fine if the conversion is right? for 8 years of distribution?

seems like a "low" fine, considering some of the news stories you hear about people sharing music. but still an unrealistic amount to be paid

wonder if the video is to cover the fines or to reduce jail time (which specifics werent given?)

1. that amount was just potential maximum award if copyright holders pursued civil court action against him - this agreement is out-of-court-settlement

1. Czech Constitutional Court already effectively banned excessive monetary penalties for such "crime" so most likely copyright holders would be awarded much less.

Back