Piranha Bytes has indirectly announced ELEX 2 for 2020

GhostCow

Limp Gawd
I assume this is Elex 2 anyway

We at Piranha Bytes are currently working high motivated with the entire team on a new RPG. At the moment we are focused on our own work, because we develop RPGs with passion and are looking forward to show you our own game. The announcement is scheduled for 2020!

We are not involved in the development of the Gothic Remake. The developers of the remake are THQ Nordic Barcelona. Since the studio asks for fan participation and feedback, you can check out the early prototype here (if you already have a PB game on Steam):

If you send your wishes and expectations for the Gothic Remake to the developers, so that they can take it into account, you can end up with two RPGs that you can look forward to.
Of course, we will continue to announce news about our own projects on our social media pages

A remake of Gothic? Awesome! I'm surprised that Piranha Bytes isn't involved, though. I though the rights to the Gothic franchise reverted back to them after Arcania: Gothic 4 released. I guess that didn't include the rights to the original games. I have mixed feelings about that. I have anticipated a PB remake of G1 and G2 for years after they talked about the possibility on forums around when Risen 1 released.

Edit: Ah, PB was bought by THQ Nordic in 2019. That explains things.

ELEX is cool, though I wish PB would go fully back to their original G1 and G2 style, which I think is the pinnacle of Western RPGs thus far. ELEX shares some similarities, but has nowhere near the refinement of questing and world detail that Gothic 1 and 2 have. And PB made their modern games under financial situations that I think were more restrictive than their situations for G1 and G2, which obviously didn't need as much money, manpower, and time to be developed. I hope that they achieve major success at some point so that they can then show us what they're fully capable of.

Last edited:
Sadly most of the people who worked on Gothic are no longer with PB. They formed a new company called Piranha Bytes Red in 2014 (confusing I know). Supposedly they are working on a game called Spacetime but nothing has been said about it publicly for years

Back