Pinging Multiple IPs

christie

n00b
I am at work and I have to ping over 100 Static IP's is there a way in CMD where I can ping all of them at once then read the data as it goes? Do you know of any free third party utilities that work?:confused:

Well, you could simply set up a file with the IPs, then use a batch script to do the work. What are you trying to do? Oftentimes we get requests like this where there is an easier, or better, way to accomplish something, which is why I ask.

going to piggy back off of this thread. Currently at work im using CMD to ping 5 static internal IP's. (ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t) This work pretty well, but im stuck having 5 cmd windows open all the time (these are always running, as i am consistently testing switches for deployments) I have tried a few gadgets (win 7) but they lock up all the time. Is there a more effective way to achieve what im doing currently. IE, can powershell show me whether or not a host is up and what the last 4 or 5 ping times were without the need for me to restart the command (similar to what the -t command does to ping)?

Thanks for any help!

Have a quick look at setting up Nagios.
A bit overkill, but I agree 100%.

Of course, nagios is kind of like a crack habit; once you get it setup and monitoring a few things, you can't stop. I have a smallish company setup, 3 sites. I'm monitoring over 30 hosts, 200 services.

I might need an intervention.

how often do you need to ping them, how often do they change, and what needs to happen if a request fails?

Of course, nagios is kind of like a crack habit; once you get it setup and monitoring a few things, you can't stop. I have a smallish company setup, 3 sites. I'm monitoring over 30 hosts, 200 services.

Don't get me started, I just started building maps in PRTG and I can't stop. I even have plans to mount four screens on my wall to make my office into a NOC-like place. :)

I monitor everything on the printers including uptime. Sometimes it comes in handy. "My printer doesn't work" "Printer status: Tray 1 empty"

going to piggy back off of this thread. Currently at work im using CMD to ping 5 static internal IP's. (ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t) This work pretty well, but im stuck having 5 cmd windows open all the time (these are always running, as i am consistently testing switches for deployments) I have tried a few gadgets (win 7) but they lock up all the time. Is there a more effective way to achieve what im doing currently. IE, can powershell show me whether or not a host is up and what the last 4 or 5 ping times were without the need for me to restart the command (similar to what the -t command does to ping)?

Thanks for any help!

give pinkie a shot you can download it here http://ipuptime.net/Index.aspx and it does what you are wanting

I monitor everything on the printers including uptime. Sometimes it comes in handy. "My printer doesn't work" "Printer status: Tray 1 empty"
Oh, I monitor my printers too...and automatically reorder supplies ( via email ) from my vendor when something runs low.

:D

nmap is probably the best tool I can imagine for this. use the -sP (for scan style ping).

If you want a persistent ping I would look at Smokeping.

Back