Ping...IPCONFIG.

I have a couple of questions that I hope you smart neworkers can answer for me. Thank you all so much ahead of time for your help, I really do appreciate it :) .

Ping: I know it's a command to see if you get a response from an IP to test your browser/NIC. For example: Ping www.google.com. Wouldn't it just be easier to open up your browser and go to a site to check if your internet is working?

IPCONFIG: To repair your network connection or whatever, you do ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew to maybe fix your internet by renewing your ip address. Isn't that the same as right clicking the little network icon on the taskbar and then choosing "Diagnose and Repair" or going to My Network Places and right clicking the network connection icon and choosing "repair"?

Ghosting and building an image of a partition or software on a certain computer...are they the same. If not what are the differences between ghosting and building an image?

What is a ghost server? Is that the same as VMware?

Thank you all again so much and I hope I didn't make it too confusing.

First Ping: What if the server isn't running HTTP? A web browser isn't going to help you. Plus, other things could break HTTP from being received by your machine. Ping is one of the most basic, yet most essential protocols of the TCP/IP suite. One packet is sent, one packet is received.

Second, IPCONFIG: Yes, the repair option does a release and renew. But, this is a new feature to XP, and IPCONFIG has been around a lot longer. Plus, there are other things it can do. Such as /registerdns, /flushdns, /displaydns, etc.

Imaging is a generic term for taking the data from a PC or partition on a PC and putting that into a file to be deployed to another machine. Ghost is an imaging program. Ghost server is a program that centrally stores these images to they can be accessed across a network.

VMware is virtualization, which is another huge topic, to big for me to spew out tonight... :)

I dont mind trying to finish that last question off in my custom basic style.

VMWare in its usual form is a way of basically running a virtual computer from within your standard Operating system. E.g. Runing windowsXP you can load up vmware and start up virtual computers, watch them go through boot up (bios and all) and loading into an operating system of your choice.

I am using VMWare currently to run a Windows Server 2003 server and 6 XP clients to test domain setups.

The virtual pcs can be completely isolated from your standard network and in essence allow you to test setups/ideas/breaking things without messing up actual live systems. If you destroy the VMWare image, you just build another without harming your own pc.

At work we are using it to cut power usage by having 5 servers running from a single computer. It also has the function to hot swap the operating systems from one computer to another. So if your pc/server was about to go down you could push all 5 images onto a backup and it should be able to start up without any loss of connectivity (providing you have a little warning anyway)

(i am sure people have a whole lot more that they could chip in here, but that is how i see it)

I must admit I havnt tried that one so wouldnt be able to comment, why do you think it is better?I am always interested in learning better solutions.

With VMWare i am currently able to run a domain controller and 6 xp clients at once on just a dual core 64bit AMD (with 4gb of ram I admit) with no system performance hits to speak of.

First Ping: What if the server isn't running HTTP? A web browser isn't going to help you. Plus, other things could break HTTP from being received by your machine. Ping is one of the most basic, yet most essential protocols of the TCP/IP suite. One packet is sent, one packet is received.

Second, IPCONFIG: Yes, the repair option does a release and renew. But, this is a new feature to XP, and IPCONFIG has been around a lot longer. Plus, there are other things it can do. Such as /registerdns, /flushdns, /displaydns, etc.

Imaging is a generic term for taking the data from a PC or partition on a PC and putting that into a file to be deployed to another machine. Ghost is an imaging program. Ghost server is a program that centrally stores these images to they can be accessed across a network.

VMware is virtualization, which is another huge topic, to big for me to spew out tonight... :)

just to clarify. PING is NOT TCP based. it is it's own protocol (icmp).

just to clarify. PING is NOT TCP based. it is it's own protocol (icmp).

I didn't say it was TCP based. I said it was part of the TCP/IP suite, which it is. Though, it is its own protocol in that suite, just like TCP or UDP.

Back