Pimp That Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpcamer1220

[H]ard|Gawd
Sponsored by Vonage..

Four contestants. Four phones. One big prize.

And one of the contestants is a fellow [H]'r, Bonzanego.

When the phones are complete you will be able to vote on which one you think looks best and the one with the most votes wins $2000. So make sure to go vote when it is finished (You have two weeks after it is over iirc) and go sign up at the forums over there to show your support for a fellow OCPer :cool:

Can't wait to see the finished product Bonz! Good luck man! :)

I think I would win this competition.

DSC00959.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

Apparently they found some people to do this.....

I never thought this would get off the ground but I have been proven wrong.

Oh well, go bonz, he looks to be the only skilled person there. I see some floofy girly mod, some spray paint, and some unskilled work with a laser etching machine.

Bonz has this in the bag. :D

Judging by his picture and the fact that he built a scooby doo case........seems a bit like a fruit to me.. *sigh* *shakes head*

He built it for his kids you tard. It was also featured in MaxiumPC I think.

Qtip42 said:
Judging by his picture and the fact that he built a scooby doo case........seems a bit like a fruit to me.. *sigh* *shakes head*
My respect for you just fell through the floor. Congratulations :rolleyes:

JamesM said:
My respect for you just fell through the floor. Congratulations :rolleyes:
its called an opinion, people have them, ya know?

i want to see the finsihed products now, cant figure out who to vote for....

Tiny said:
He built it for his kids you tard. It was also featured in MaxiumPC I think.

A cardboard case was featured in maximum pc once too I believe..... :D

In response to Qtips comments and those that followed..
Speaking one's mind is strength in character. Taste and opinion are subjective. I prefer to know someone's true feelings rather than have them color thier responses to be PC or to spare my feelings. I can respect somone for being honest about thier feelings even if I do not agree with them. Disagree fine, debate the issue better, find common ground and perhaps learn somthing new you might not have considered = true wisdom.

While we are on the subject of MaximumPC when I asked if they would like to show the Satan's Deuce and HRG Tribute in thier magazine I was told they only feature the best mods. Taste is certainly subjective...

Qtip42 said:
seems a bit like a fruit to me.. *sigh* *shakes head*

Wow... I don't even know where to begin.

Qtip, you really need to learn how to speak your mind without insulting people. In this instance, you could have called his work "femanine" but instead chose a word that would both insult the modder and a huge element of society. <sarcasm> Nice job! </sarcasm>

Speaking one's mind is important and shows character, but only if you would voice that opinion no matter the time or place. I wonder if you lived in San Francisco you'd feel as free to proclaim something as "fruity". I bet you wouldn't.

Like it or not, compared with the rest of society or even the computer industry as a whole, modders are on the fringe. We're all in the same tree-house, so even if we don't agree we should at least be civil to one another.

* Sorry for the thread hijack *

PM it if you have a problem with my opinion. Don't waste this thread about it. If you don't like my opinion of other people's case modding style/abilities, I believe that's your own problem.

edit: dont lump me in the same tree house as wooden choppers, mystery machines, barbie doll coffins, and star wars figurines. That's insulting. :p

Qtip42 said:
PM it if you have a problem with my opinion. Don't waste this thread about it. If you don't like my opinion of other people's case modding style/abilities, I believe that's your own problem.

I see. You are allowed your opinion publicly, but not anyone else. Typical for you.

If you don't like my opinion about your opinions, don't waste a reply to this thread - just PM me. :p

Qtip42 said:
edit: dont lump me in the same tree house as wooden choppers, mystery machines, barbie doll coffins, and star wars figurines. That's insulting. :p

Don't worry, I wouldn't. Those ideas are far too creative for you. :D

Qtip are you mad? You seem mad. Well i'm voting for zapwizard. He owns you all!!

JediKnight0 said:
I see. You are allowed your opinion publicly, but not anyone else. Typical for you.

If you don't like my opinion about your opinions, don't waste a reply to this thread - just PM me. :p

Don't worry, I wouldn't. Those ideas are far too creative for you. :D
lmao, too true :D

I'm not mad but, man, the creativity in here is overwhelming me. I've gotta go :D

Apoligies to the thread owner and other modders - once again I didn't mean to hijack the thread or say anything out-of-context.

I just don't like to sit by when other modders are called names and dissed (not thier work, but them personally). I just felt I had to say something and try to make things right.

'nuff said.

mpcamer1220 said:
You work for AMD or any other place like them? JW

Nope - I work for Good Technology. They make a wireless push email/calendar/application solution similiar to the Blackberry (but better :) )

I would love to show you a pic of the phone finished but I am sure Vonage would hate me for it. Thanks for the compliment

bonzanego said:
I would love to show you a pic of the phone finished but I am sure Vonage would hate me for it. Thanks for the compliment
They don't have to find out ;)

This marketing gimmick from Vonage seems like fun (however i decided to pass on their offer to join) and it should stay fun. Mod a phone? Nah. Not for me. :D Although marketing is part of what i do most of the day, sometimes its best to turn down offers so you can keep some artisitic dignity intact at the end of the day.

Yeah doing what I love and being paid for it is a real blow to my dignity.
Sometimes you must lower your head and do the work even if it is not the ideal project. It has kept my grandfather in buisness and happy for over 45 years. Exposure and advertising is part of the game, while you might wish the circumstances were different on a particular project it is easy to forget you can pick and choose yourself right into the soup line... As soon as you think you are too good for the work or that the work is beneath you it is time for a ego reality check. Vonage may get thier little marketing ping for our participation, but then again the advertising for me is well worth it. Ego has knocked many a talented artist and otherwise from thier lofty perch.

If you would like to see the final photos of all the projects they have been added to the site and you can also choose which one you like best:
www.pimpthatphone.com

So you are saying that you got paid for entering the contest, or that you are gambling on the cash earnings if you win---Please explain. I think more gamblers have had to stand in soup lines than hard working craftspeople.

Reality Check?

"As soon as you think you are too good for the work or that the work is beneath you it is time for a ego reality check"

Why not "PimpThatRectalThermometer"...or even "PimpThatToothbrush"...Where does it end?...but I digress, and i will not Pimp for Food if i can help it. ;)

"Sometimes you must lower your head and do the work even if it is not the ideal project."

If they are paying you straight out cash to pay bills, sure--its just work for an artist. If its a gamble on a contest--then why lower your head. when you lower your head that's when getting kicked in the face hurts the most. Show me one great artist in history who has been knocked off a perch because of egotism---LoL..its all about the ego. It doesnt have to be "in your face" but, please. Picasso. Pollack. Warhol. Dali. The list goes on.

Jeeze..reality check.

Yeah they paid us. Humility is both a value and a virtue. While fans may put up with ego, patrons will not.

bonzanego said:
Yeah they paid us. Humility is both a value and a virtue. While fans may put up with ego, patrons will not.

Gahh!..well see I didn't know you modders got paid!--if thats the case then Good job! (I did like the one you did btw) My point was I'm a fierce advocate for artists getting paid for their hard work. Being able to pay the bills and have some extra left over gives you the opportunity to go out and help others. Thats just the way i like it.

Gahh!..well see I didn't know you modders got paid!--if thats the case then Good job! (I did like the one you did btw) My point was I'm a fierce advocate for artists getting paid for their hard work. Being able to pay the bills and have some extra left over gives you the opportunity to go out and help others. Thats just the way i like it.

I think they realized the same thing, while I have worked for free and even break-even just to add to my resume and experience it is always better to make a living at it! Your comments offended me because with your skills and imagination you will easily be swept aside if you turn away work that could help take you in a new direction, even if that reward comes 2 years from now. You know as well as I do that what you make tomorrow must be so much better than what you made yesterday and opportunity, however silly, contrived, distinct or honorable is always a gamble.
I think they wanted a certain level of effort an quality and you wont get it most of the time unless you do pay somthing. The exposure is more valuable to me than the money with this project. I think my wife liked the phone better than anything I have made to date, she wants me to keep it for her.

Why not "PimpThatRectalThermometer"...or even "PimpThatToothbrush"...Where does it end?...but I digress, and i will not Pimp for Food if i can help it.

Really there is no end to the whole pimp thing until it burns itself out, but my involvment was to try and draw attention to pc modding and made it a stipulation of participation that they mention my site and show past pc related work photos. I think my friends in the FX buisness said it best, somtimes you must do what you must to get the experience and credits so you can grow into bigger and better things. Thier point being that no project should be swept aside without careful consideration of what opportunity it might create later. I initally decided not to participate in the project, but after thinking about the risk vs reward it was really not a bad gig. It is an investment in yourself and if you wont invest in yourself you wont be able to convince others to invest in you later.

What is all the fuss about? Really.

He is a fine craftsman (Bonz), and enjoys not neccessarily only modding things, but just creating unique works of art. There is no reason to jump on his back and start a fight - it is really pathetic.

If you had the ability to do the same - that is, do what you like doing and getting compensated for it - you'd jump at the oppurtunity. It's like being paid $50/hour to sit and play Counter-Strike for fun. If that was true, none of us would sleep, and we'd be rolling in $1200 a day (because we wouldn't want to sleep).

Any negativity expressed merely reflects your inability to accept your inadequacies.

I give credit to the others in the contest, submit my final work to you to consider voting for me...

phone_080803_pop.jpg

Please remember one thing when making your vote, this is about PIMPING a phone, not a popularity contest. so please vote for the coolest phone...

VIEW ALL THE PHONE HERE

VOTE HERE

MOD Man 1

bonzanego said:
Your comments offended me because with your skills and imagination you will easily be swept aside if you turn away work that could help take you in a new direction, even if that reward comes 2 years from now. You know as well as I do that what you make tomorrow must be so much better than what you made yesterday and opportunity, however silly, contrived, distinct or honorable is always a gamble.

I didn't mean to offend--my apoplogies that i did :) --seriously I was just wondering if Vonage was paying you folks or even compensating for supplies at some level--Modders and craftspeople deserve to be paid for their hard work by big companies looking to score some inexpensive advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back