pimp my MacBook

jblue42

Limp Gawd
So I just got a free MacBook, but know nothing about macs... Any upgrades I should do for a noticible improvement?

OSX 10.4.10
2GHz Intel Core Duo
512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
50GB hard drive
dvd burner...

More ram I'm guessing would be the only upgrade? 1GB or 2?
New harddrives? cheap? easy to install?

Here she is!
macbookqu3.jpg

1. I hate you
  2. You suck for getting free s3xyness
  3. 2GB of RAM is a must. Some of your RAM is taken for video. My iMac has 2GB and I don't have any slowess or sluggishness. My CPU is a 2.16Ghz so not much faster than yours.
  4. If hard drive space is critical, here's a video showing how easy it is to replace the RAM and hard drive in one fell swoop: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY
  5. Did I mention I hate you? :D

Thanks for all the replys, but don't hate! haha

I'll surely be getting 2gb of ram now, I'm going to hold off on the harddrive though, I've got plenty of storage (1.4 TB) in my PC and external HD. Sucks about OS X not being able to write to a NTFS external drive. Ive been reading about mac fuse and a 3rd party NTFS driver but haven't had time to mess around with it yet.

Needs a little something like...

err, actually I haven't made one for the regular macbook yet. They're two different sizes.
dapple1.jpg

Sucks about OS X not being able to write to a NTFS external drive. Ive been reading about mac fuse and a 3rd party NTFS driver but haven't had time to mess around with it yet.

There's a fairly easy work around, provided that the systems will be on the same network.
If the drive is hooked up to the PC and set to share (make it so members of your network can modify files), you can just mount it via smb on the MacBook.
Just go to the "Go" menu, hit "Connect to Server" and type in smb://windowsmachineipaddress. You should be prompted for your windows log in info, and then you can pick the shared volume to mount.
Then you can drag and drop all kinds of stuff to the drive. Should be pretty quick, provided you're running a gigabit network. It's how I move stuff between my Mac and PC all the time.

How did you get it for FREE?

probably as a gift? cause I know this guy his dad's friend works for apple and gave him a free macbook :eek:
and yea I would definitly get 2gb for the macbook as for a huge performance upgrade and since you got it for free too :p I hate you too hehe.

Back