Pigtail impedance ?

BrainEater

[H]ard|Gawd
My cooling experiment is proceeding well , however , I'm going to need to externalize all the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard.

Which brings me to the question.The easy way is to use short (~12") twisted pair pigtails.
Is this going to cause impedance issues ? or should I be looking at coax ?

I don't think any electrolytics are used in any timing functions but I could be wrong.

I don't think the big ol electrolytic caps that are in the 1000uF range are used in timing either, but rather as power reserve for the processor. As such, I don't think you'll have impedance issues. However, you may have some voltage drop, resistance of the wires, or some other effect that could interfere with the quality of power that gets to the processor. Layout concerns on motherboards are very real, so I'd keep an eye on that, and if it doesn't work, look into that area. The wires will also act like little antennas too, so the power will get noisier.

I've never tried this, but I'd think it may work. Worth a shot I guess, but usually you put those capacitors as close to the device as you can to avoid all the issues that you are about to introduce.

Thx for the response !

I fully agree the shorter the better.
--------------

I'm going to look into just replacing the electrolytics with polymer caps......I need to test these as well .;)

Back