Piggybacked Routers

Viper16

[H]ard|Gawd
Here is the setup Cable Modem---->Linksys Router--->Gigabyte Wireless Router--->My Computer(Wirelessly) Will I see any speed improvement if I just use one router? Whats the advantages or disadvantages of using two routers rather than one?

No reason to run 2x routers...can sometimes lead to things running flakey for the computers behind the second router because internet traffic gets double NAT'd.

Keep it simple, just use one router.

YeOldeStonecat said:
No reason to run 2x routers...can sometimes lead to things running flakey for the computers behind the second router because internet traffic gets double NAT'd.

Keep it simple, just use one router.

Im running it this way now, and I haven't had any problems, should go ahead and move it to only one? I did a few speed checks, and they are just as fast as the wired computers hooked up too the first router.

Personally, I would suggest shutting off the dhcp server on the wireless, hookup the wireless via the lan (crossover might be nessacary) and simply use it as an Acces Point. This is what I am doing myself at home, since they seem to think an WAP should cost more then the damn router+WAP bundle BS.

Viper16 said:
Im running it this way now, and I haven't had any problems, should go ahead and move it to only one? I did a few speed checks, and they are just as fast as the wired computers hooked up too the first router.

It's a matter of "why make it more complicated?" Web browsers would probably work fine behind 4, 5, or 6 cascaded routers.

But with double NAT, you may run across some applications that don't work well behind it.

Each router will add some latency to your connection., wether you notice it or not, are a hardcore online gamer, or just an AOL web user...it may or may not bother you, but technically each router you use will add latency.

If you want to network all your computers, you'll notice computer behind the first router cannot see computers behind the second router. That's because the NAT firewall of the second router is doing it's job.

If you insist on using both routers for some reason, and want to network all the computers, you can bandaid a solution by turning off DHCP on the wireless router, and uplinking it to a LAN port on your first router using a LAN port on the wireless router instead of the WAN port. Also make sure they both aren't the same LAN IP address, but should both be in the same IP scope.

But my first hunch....is "Why not use just the 1x wireless router....unless your main router is some higher end unit that has features you need...."

Back