Picture by Picture with 4 Sources

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone know of a monitor that can do picture by picture with 4 sources? I got an Asus PA329Q but it seems to only be able to do 3, even though it has 4 HDMI, 1 DP, and 1 mDP.

I am trying to consolidate my desk. I am going to use it for football, so I can maximize up to 4 games at a time on it.

I know you can turn a monitor into quadrants using DisplayFusion. But you can't maximize videos using software, it just maximizes to the entire screen.

The LG 43UD79-B is probably the best option if you really want to keep up 4x 1080p sources and actually be able to see what's going on. Check out the Youtube reviews.
But basically, using 4 sources is a primary benefit. It does average on picture quality and response time.
Downsides more or less is how much space it takes on your desk and having to either trade off viewing distance or PPI. No high-end gaming features. No high-end proofing features.

EDIT: Here it is in action:

Last edited:
Dells VGG43 43" Multi-Client is designed for that as well, however its a little pricier than the LG 43". To be honest i'm not entirely up to date the pro/cons of each but its also worth checking out.

Last edited:
LG uses screensplit software. It can't maximize videos.

I'm not sure how Dell does the split, I'll have to look into it. But, I am looking for a 32", I don't want to go any bigger than that.

LG uses screensplit software. It can't maximize videos.

Watch the video. It's in hardware in the display via the remote or using the buttons on the display itself. Software doesn't come into it, nor do you need to install any software to use it.
If you'd like to see a demo of that, go to 10:00 in the video I posted.

Want even more proof?
You can watch this dry person who isn't particularly charismatic demonstrate 'maximizing windows' for you while using split screen. For the "full quote" that you're looking for, wait until 1:54.

Once again, this is all done at the hardware level. Windows itself identifies each of these as an individual display and the display itself thinks of each input as an individual computer or individual source (as you're literally selecting the quadrants based upon input). You could mix Playstations and Xbox Ones into one of the quadrants for all the display cares. And if you do even the slightest amount of digging on Youtube, you can see that demonstrated.

If you're going to shoot down options, actually know how they operate.

Last edited:
Watch the video. It's in hardware in the display via the remote or using the buttons on the display itself. Software doesn't come into it, nor do you need to install any software to use it.
If you'd like to see a demo of that, go to 10:00 in the video I posted.

Want even more proof?
You can watch this dry person who isn't particularly charismatic demonstrate 'maximizing windows' for you while using split screen. For the "full quote" that you're looking for, wait until 1:54.

Once again, this is all done at the hardware level. Windows itself identifies each of these as an individual display and the display itself thinks of each input as an individual computer or individual source (as you're literally selecting the quadrants based upon input). You could mix Playstations and Xbox Ones into one of the quadrants for all the display cares. And if you do even the slightest amount of digging on Youtube, you can see that demonstrated.

If you're going to shoot down options, actually know how they operate.

Oh nice man. The other LG's that I was looking at were using software. Do they have it in 32ish?

Oh nice man. The other LG's that I was looking at were using software. Do they have it in 32ish?

Not that I know of. I think at this point, if you want this functionality you're either looking at this LG or the Dell that criccio posted. They're both operating off of the same panel. I suspect that they assume that if you want to actually see 4 displays then 37" roughly must be the minimum size (although no current 37" exists as far as I can see). This 43" is roughly 4x 21" displays. At 32" you'd be looking at 4x15" displays, which I guess the manufacturers don't feel like there is a market impetus for.
If this is the 100% critical feature, your options are limited to these. Even in the security world it's based around the security hardware and not the displays to show 4x up. I don't know of anything even in that class that does 4x inputs to 4x pbp.

Dell has tons of displays that can do 2x pbp, but like I'm saying, there isn't really anyone pushing for 4x outside of these two that I know of.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
I have a friend that has a Seiki Pro that I know supports this... 40" though. Pretty sure he is looking to sell if you may be interested.

Nah, 32" is really about the biggest I want to go. Otherwise it will be the only thing on my desk lol.

My buddy has a Monoprice that he says he thinks does it, but he is out of town and can't check right now.

Good luck. Finding a device at 32” and under that has 4 inputs is hard enough. Let alone 4x pbp. I think you’re going to have compromises one way or another.

Good luck. Finding a device at 32” and under that has 4 inputs is hard enough. Let alone 4x pbp. I think you’re going to have compromises one way or another.

I can maybe fit a 38", but 44" I think will be too big. The 32" is already taking up a ton of desk.

You know, I think I can fit a 43" if I put my speakers behind the monitor and moved my center monitor and my chair to the right a little bit...

And after scouring the internet today, it looks like I have 4 options:
LG 43UD79-B
Dell P4317Q
ViewSonic VX4380-4k
Acer ET430K

I believe they're all the same panel, and I am leaning towards the Dell or ViewSonic. What do you think UnknownSouljer?

And after scouring the internet today, it looks like I have 4 options:
LG 43UD79-B
Dell P4317Q
ViewSonic VX4380-4k
Acer ET430K

I believe they're all the same panel, and I am leaning towards the Dell or ViewSonic. What do you think UnknownSouljer?

I would read the reviews and check out how they do head to head. I can tell you that the LG and Dell are basically the same (as those are the only two I've looked into), but the Dell costs over twice as much. The LG seems like it's the best deal from what I've looked into as it can be had for a little under $450.
It's up to you to do the research on the other panels. I kicked around the idea of moving to an extra large display as all I do is edit all day and occasionally non-competitive game. But ultimately for me there were just better options in terms of picture quality (bit depth, P3 and Adobe gamut coverage, uniformity, etc) that sort of ruled these out for me.

Honestly I think they should be updated for 2018/2019, as at least the Dell and LG are several years old. Probably not going to happen though. Good luck on your search and buy.

Back