Pics Please - For Reference

Guys,

I'm building this monster rig and would like to see anyone that has 3 GTX 480's watercooled in thier case. Trying to get an idea of how much room I have to work with as well as how much room those gpu blocks take running 3 like that.

Probably will be building this weekend.

Thanks,

DC

Nice build man- if I had the money for a rig like that I'd post some pics, but as my measly 5750 Xfire is all I could afford (and that was with the help of a free 5750) I can't help ya. Whatever the case- I'd love to see some pics of your rig once you get it all together:)

fermi_geforce_triple_sli.jpg

That's just artwork right there Kyle.... fantastic and they all fit! Woo Hoo!

Just a few questions:

1. Is that 3/8" tubing or 1/2"?

2. Could you have run the tubing on the outside straight down instead of bending it around the cards?

3. What case is that?

Thanks man.

That was in a box that NVIDIA had as CES from Digital Storm.

Ok, yes, I see, cool I'm using 3/8" tubing as well. Well after consulting with Danger Den, apparently I will have room in my case and they sent me this picture of what mine might look like but with 3 cards and an Obsidian 800D case.

DangerDen4WaySLi.png

That is pretty sweet.

wow... some serious time went into cable and tubing management in that case. Very impressive

Just a question maybe a dumb one but... wouldn't the third (or fourth) card just be getting hot water pumped to it?

Just a question maybe a dumb one but... wouldn't the third (or fourth) card just be getting hot water pumped to it?

No because the pump direction is going from the Rad to Pump to the bottom gpu first to the top gpu and back into the rad. It will be pretty cool for all three.

No because the pump direction is going from the Rad to Pump to the bottom gpu first to the top gpu and back into the rad. It will be pretty cool for all three.

so the last card in the loop is getting all the heat from the previous ones. series

I thought the water cooling guys preferred pumping to every card at the same time, IF you have the pump power to do it. parallel

so the last card in the loop is getting all the heat from the previous ones. series

I thought the water cooling guys preferred pumping to every card at the same time, IF you have the pump power to do it. parallel

I think to run a parallel system you'd have to use some lame-ass reservoir top or splitters that would really up the resistance in the lines.

I think what we forget is that the water is coursing through at a good clip, so if you have a good radiator in a matter of minutes the water reaches a temperature that remains constant.....regardless of the GPU heat, all things being otherwise equal.:D

I think to run a parallel system you'd have to use some lame-ass reservoir top or splitters that would really up the resistance in the lines.

I think what we forget is that the water is coursing through at a good clip, so if you have a good radiator in a matter of minutes the water reaches a temperature that remains constant.....regardless of the GPU heat, all things being otherwise equal.:D

Ding, ding ding....winner! Yep... and I'm using a Black Ice 560 Rad so its pretty slick.

I think what we forget is that the water is coursing through at a good clip, so if you have a good radiator in a matter of minutes the water reaches a temperature that remains constant

I know what you mean, but I think the constant temperature thing happens when the radiator is inadequate, not the other way around.

Like imagine if the radiator was perfect and made the water ambient temperature. The first card would always be getting cool water. And the last card would always get warm water.

For the other constraint, imagine if there was no radiator at all. Then all the water and inputs and outputs would reach the same temperature like you said

All that said, I still don't know anything

I know what you mean, but I think the constant temperature thing happens when the radiator is inadequate, not the other way around.

Like imagine if the radiator was perfect and made the water ambient temperature. The first card would always be getting cool water. And the last card would always get warm water.

For the other constraint, imagine if there was no radiator at all. Then all the water and inputs and outputs would reach the same temperature like you said

All that said, I still don't know anything

Actually it doesn't really work like that. Imagine falling asleep in a water bed and the heater to the water bed fails. LOL... you would wake up when all that heat left because it would start pulling it from the heat in your body. Of course that is why we watercool because of that property compared to blowing air across a cpu/gpu. The distance between the two cards with moving water is going to move heat but cool the cards because the water is constantly moving across the blocks. Now, if that water in the blocks did not move and stayed there, it would be like the water bed scenario to the fullest, the water would pull the heat and sit there and if pumped to the next block then YES you would be moving hot water into the next block and thereby not doing anything for the other two. It's because it is moving that allows the first part of the water to come in contact with the block, remove a little heat and move to the next. The water that comes over the first block is only there for less than a second so it doesn't have the time to soak up all that heat as it moves to the next block. Now yes...if you want to get real real super technical, yes the last block will show the tiniest tiniest tiniest of increases in temp but it is all well well well within normal and nothing to worry about. :D

Which is why I'm watercooling with 3 cards ...

Back