pico psu 90w enough power?

AP2

[H]ard|Gawd
im putting together a new server which will be running windows home server and serving company quickbooks file. will 90W be enough for this little setup.

notebook dvd drive
2 40gb OWC SSD mirrored
i3-550 cpu
corsair 8gb (2x4gb) ddr3
gigabyte ga-h55n-usb3 motherboard

It should be enough, but I'm not sure why you want to use a PicoPSU for that.

It would be adequate, but the Pico-PSUs in general deliver a relatively poor performance-to-price ratio. I would not choose a Pico-PSU unless the case that you'd be putting the components into is constrained in the PSU form factor or size.

i'd be cautious doing that unless it's a lower power processor and system like a mobile processor or an atom/via nano/amd geode.

yeah, the case im putting the stuff in is rather small. its actually not a pico psu, but one that looks just like it. it comes with my aopen s110 itx case. i need something thats pretty small. should i go up in wattage?

You will be OK. Saw someone somewhere (SPCR? or here maybe) do it in Antec ISK300-65 case with 65W PSU. He did undervolt the CPU, but underclocking was involved from what I recall.

according to intel the TDP of that CPU is 73 W. Add in the rest of the system and a 90W PSU is going to be cutting things pretty close to the line. You might get away with it but if you want stability then you should always have some margin on your PSU.

yeah, the case im putting the stuff in is rather small. its actually not a pico psu, but one that looks just like it. it comes with my aopen s110 itx case. i need something thats pretty small. should i go up in wattage?
Well, I'm just not crazy about the PicoPSU and power brick combination in general. There's a lot of variation and it's hard to know if you're getting something crappy or something decent. I suggest you see if you can manage something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151090

yea, this is strictly a file server for quickbooks. this was some left over hardware i had before switching over to macs. What would be a good DC to DC/brick combo?

Thanks!

when I fed approximately your setup (I had to make some approximations due to things not being listed) into the outervision PSU calculator it came out with a minimum PSU wattage of 116W so i'd think you should be looking into supplies in the 150-200W range to give yourself a bit of margin. 120W may be ok but it's a bit tight for my liking.

Back