Pico ITX 10000 help

Splurch1

n00b
So Ive had my Pico ITX for a few months now and have used it for very basic functions. Just tried watching flash video/you tube etc on it and its actually very laggy. From my understanding it should be able to handle this no problems. Im running XP with the latest drivers. Anyone know what might be the problem?

It's not video that's killing your processor, it's Flash.

Your processor is more than capable of playing back the resolution and video codecs you see on Youtube (see here). The problem is, Flash is an incredibly inefficient video player. Throw in the Flash ads and overlays you see on almost every Youtube page, plus the overhead of playing it in the browser, and you get into trouble.

For example, my Athlon64 at 2.4 GHz (single core) peaks at %40 CPU usage playing back Youtube standard def videos, and %60 playing back high-def (the new beta player). The Flash video player uses almost no video assist, so the CPU is left to do everything.

This is why I laugh when people say the C7 has "enough" horsepower - it has enough to play standalone videos, but it chokes on modern web content. And since Flash web content is the way of the future, the C7 is stuck in the past.

You can try this as an alternative: a Firefox add-on that allows you to download videos. they also have a free flash video player on the site, you might try that combo.

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

Click on "see extension in action" to get a feel for how to use it with FLV Player.

Back