Picking your poision

menace2society

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
231
After the gtx480 review(spot on review btw answered all of my questions about the cards performance, thanx) is it worth the extra cost for two Nvidias cards as apposed to the 5870's in crossfire? By cost I mean power consumption and about $250-$300 more :confused:. Which one would you recommend to friends and family/customers.


TIA: Menace
 
I was going to buy it but after looking at reviews and seeing that my hd4870x2 is still keeping up with top tier cards I don't really have a reason too. DX11 and tessellation doesn't impress me at all yet and there's really no pc games coming out that will use a ton of power. Shrug.
 
considering all factors, especially when considering that the 480 had nearly twice the ram and performed marginally better than the 5870 in some scenarios, I'd say definitely go with the 5870. The 480 costs more, runs way hotter, uses way more power and hardly offers any increase in performance, id say that the choice should be easy.

I'd recommend that you wait to see how the 2 gb version of the 5870 stacks up against the 480. I doubt that test will fair well for Nvidia and that is sad.
 
Keep in mind price is always relative, what's expensive to me, could be pocket change to the next guy.

IMO this makes the 5970 shine, due to the lower power consumption, heat, and price.
 
Back
Top