Picking up an X299 mobo for 7900X, which one?

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm getting rid of my X99 Sabertooth & 6900k combo. Going to pick up an X299 mobo soon (will pair with a 7900X) since I can make use of the extra threads.

I don't really worry about the VRM because most people apparently have never OC before. My X99's VRM will reach 90 centigrade with prime95 at a mild OC at 4Ghz 1.18v. I won't oc any further than that with the new build since I need it to be 100% stable. 10 cores at 4.0-4.2 Ghz is pretty good for me.

Prime candidates:
Asus X299-A
Asus X299 TUF Mark 1
Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7

I say GB cause I like GB and the only GB part to fail on me was the 990xa in my sig and I cooked the vrms pushing OCs to hard for too long. ive never had anything Asus fail either but have had DOAs from them.

MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON.

My X58 TUF-Power is still going strong.

I'm seriously looking at the MSI X299 GAMING M7 ACK. Waiting for a real review before buying though. I do not believe in Asus RMA service and the GBs RGBs look horrid to me.

299 TUF, that is what I'm looking at right now myself.

Picked up the 7900X and X299-A, everything is stable as rock @ default, VRM with prime95 AVX and non-AVX maxed out at 65C, no fans blowing at VRM which is on par with 6900k and X99... 10 cores turbo to 4Ghz at default, 3.6Ghz with AVX, I might not even need to OC. If those msi boards with more phase become available at MC soon I might return this board and upgrade.

TL,DR: No issue with the upgrade from X99, swap out mobo and proc and change some settings in bios and I'm good to go. No problem with VRM and temperature is completely normal.

Back