Picking up a gigabit switch. Need help!

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
LAN Noob questions to follow.
Okay thanks for checking out this thread.
Got a good deal on a D-LINK DGS-1008D 8 Port 10/100/1000 Unmanaged Gigabit Switch, and I need to know what I need to set it up for proper performance.
Currently I run an old 10/100 hub. Modem goes to my server, server to the hub. My server has a 1-gigabit lan port, and an add on 100base lan card.
Question: Once I have the new switch, do I just need new cable from the servers gigabit port to the switch, and new cable from the switch to each workstation that I want 1000base performance? And is the correct cable Cat5? Or is something higher needed?
Also is there a need to upgrade anything in regards to the DSL modem to the 100 base lan on the server? I am guessing that isn't a bottleneck given my standard DSL speeds, but would a 1000base card and Cat5 be of any advantage?
Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

Question: Once I have the new switch, do I just need new cable from the servers gigabit port to the switch, and new cable from the switch to each workstation that I want 1000base performance? And is the correct cable Cat5?
Yup sounds right to me.

Also is there a need to upgrade anything in regards to the DSL modem to the 100 base lan on the server? I am guessing that isn't a bottleneck given my standard DSL speeds, but would a 1000base card and Cat5 be of any advantage?
Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

No practical one. You might see a small difference due to better NIC drivers and generally better NIC design in GigE gear, but it'll be negligible at best.

If you want to run gig speeds you want CAT5e or CAT6, not CAT5. While it may work in theory CAT5 is not rated for those speeds.

Back