Picking router/switch & modem setup

talley

Limp Gawd
Recently my parents remodel our house and in the process I add some additional networking cable. The cableing is either cat 3 or cat 5e and the computers on the network all support 10/100 or better. Currently the network is setup with a three year old dsl modem and a smc barricade 7008br. There is an additional netgear router being used as a switch but I'm not planning on replacing it. The dsl is sbc yahoo dsl. The network is used for file sharing and gaming. I have been fairly happy with the smc router although the netgear one is evil incarnate.

The network is being expand to expand from five ethernet cables to twelve. Instead of another switch or hub I would like to simply replace the old router because, well its old. The modem is held together with a rubberband and melts that ever few months; its also up for replacement. I'm looking for suggestions, and they don't nessarily have to follow the kind of setup I've outlined as long as it supports the nessary number of ethernet jacks (twelve plus one for the modem). Additionally, a cheap network backup hard disc would be a big plus as well. For budget say about $100-$400 of the router/switch, $0-$125 on the modem, additional devices it depends.

Thank you for all replies,

Talley

I recommend either the Linksys WRT54G or the BEFSX41 for your router.

If you have the cat5e and your budget is that much go for a 16port gigabit switch.

Not sure about a modem. Sorry.

For dsl modem I would definetely go with an Alcatel Speed touch series. They are probably some of the best dsl modems ever made. I agree is you have the budget go gigabit (even if there is only a few machines running at that level). I would suggest either a linksys or d-link stand alone router/internet gateway to make things easier.
Something like the dlink DFL-300 or if you want something more basic linksys BEFSR11

Back