• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Picking a processor

Fantasysage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
304
This seems to be a ongoing question here. Tomorrow I will be ordering the parts for my PC upgrade. I am going 1156, and following are the specs after the upgrade of the whole machine:

  • i3/5/7, zalman 9700 cooler
  • evga P55 2SLI+physx 1156 board
  • 4 gigs of Gskill 1600 DDR3 ram
  • evga GTX280 SCC + MSI GTS250 512mb SLI/Physx
  • Corasir 750 watt PSU
  • WD 300 gig raptor for Win7 partition
  • Two 320 gig 7200rpm's in RAID0 for temp storage
  • One 250 gig 7200rpm for my arch install.
  • Creative X-Fi PCIe
  • DVD Burner/ Blu ray reader

Stuff in red is what is changing. I use this PC for lots of gaming, and dealing with unraring, moving, and transcoding large movie files to play on my PS3. I was originally going to go with the i5 750, but then figured that the 80 bucks was worth it to jump to the i7 860. Without the CPU this is a $650 upgrade. I am selling my old CPU/Ram/Mobo/PSU to offset the costs, I figure I will get 200 or so from those. I would of course love to go 1366, but it just costs to much for the board and triple channel ram.

So yeah, CPU. What do you think my best direction would be?
 
Do you really need more than 750 watts to run that? That could save you some money right there.
 
If you're anywhere in the vicinity of a Microcenter, the i7 860 alternates between $230 and $200 every few weeks. $230 right now, seems like a good bet for you, especially if you can wait til they put up next week's ads - it might drop back to $200.
 
Do you really need more than 750 watts to run that? That could save you some money right there.

I am going to SLI down the road. No reason to gimp myself now.

If you're anywhere in the vicinity of a Microcenter, the i7 860 alternates between $230 and $200 every few weeks. $230 right now, seems like a good bet for you, especially if you can wait til they put up next week's ads - it might drop back to $200.

There is one relatively close. But it would cost 20 bucks in train fare and take me 3-4 hours. Not really worth the 60 dollar savings over the egg.
 
I'm happy with my X3440. Cheaper alternative to the i7-860 and should OC the same.
 
Back
Top