Picked up the Alienware M11X today.

plac

Gawd
Picked up the Alienware M11X today. My first Alienware, I've wanted one for years. Sure, this one is tiny, but its still Alienware.

The story: My Asus G60VX-RB009 broke. The headphone jack says its always plugged in when its not, thus the speakers dont work. I spent 2 days reading all kinds of threads about it. I was way past my 45 day return policy, but Best Buy is sending it out for me for free repair. Better than just throwing it away or selling it broke I guess. I will sell it when it comes back fixed to offset the cost of this new Alienware one.

The main game I play is TF2. It would be killer if this new laptop will play that perfectly. If it would, I would consider parting out my entire gaming PC and just keeping this for a nice compact setup. But the CPU seems kind of slow, so it may not replace my whole setup.

CPU : U7300 1.3GHz
RAM: 4GB
VID: Nvida 335M or something.

First thing I will be doing is downloading my Steam games and doing some tests. Windows system ratings coming soon.

Processor: 4.1
Ram: 4.7
Graphics: 3.2
Gaming graphics: 3.2
Primary disk: 5.9

Not as good as i thought.. I'll prob keep my main gaming PC and use this for portability..

I got the i7 one for review, loved it. I think that its a great portable, but as you found out, not good enough to be a desktop replacement.

Not as good as i thought.. I'll prob keep my main gaming PC and use this for portability..

any actual usage experience? i'm not sure windows ratings are anything to go by really...

How does it handle in normal usage?

Turns out I didnt have the good video card activated. that changed both my graphics scores from 3.2 up to 6.5. Lot better.

The M11X is a good little notebook. I just received my R2 a few days ago. Screen quality is really not the best, and its a bit to glossy. Other then this, it makes a great little companion notebook with the ability to play games at decent details.

Even though I thought my SSD performance is pretty poor.. when compared to my oem its a lot better. The access time is miles apart, and the average read is a lot better too.

Alienware M11X OEM 250GB drive:

laptopwoem.jpg

Alienware M11X OCZ Agility 128GB drive:

laptopwssd.jpg

And compare that with my proper gaming PC, with an Intel X25 80GB SSD drive:

pcwithIntelSSD.jpg

looks like you got the R1

might've been better since the R2 currently is having multiple issues, main one being the optimus function

Even though some games were added to the whitelist, optimus would not function correctly with them and patches/drivers have been releasing pretty often to try and fix every game a little at a time.

The R1 should have a default option in bios to overclock safely. The temperature will increase by 1-2 C or so, but battery life will go down. I believe the RAM downclocks to 800mhz when overclocked on the SU7300

looks like you got the R1

might've been better since the R2 currently is having multiple issues, main one being the optimus function

Even though some games were added to the whitelist, optimus would not function correctly with them and patches/drivers have been releasing pretty often to try and fix every game a little at a time.

The R1 should have a default option in bios to overclock safely. The temperature will increase by 1-2 C or so, but battery life will go down. I believe the RAM downclocks to 800mhz when overclocked on the SU7300

ya i have my cpu overclocked in bios. i had to. 1.3ghz is just too slow. at least 1.6ghz is tolerable..

i returned this laptop today. no restocking fee. it just wasnt enough power for me in a portable. I know there isnt much else to choose from either.

Did you expect G73 performance? For how small it is, its the best you'll find. Ill be getting mine soon for college. Taking notes, and casual gaming while I wait for class. Can't wait.

i returned this laptop today. no restocking fee. it just wasnt enough power for me in a portable. I know there isnt much else to choose from either.

Look at the HP Envy 14, or the Sony Vaio Z if you can fork up the cash.

Did you expect G73 performance? For how small it is, its the best you'll find. Ill be getting mine soon for college. Taking notes, and casual gaming while I wait for class. Can't wait.

i already have a G60 and a G71. they are def more powerful, although the graphics arent quite as strong i think.

i already have a G60 and a G71. they are def more powerful, although the graphics arent quite as strong i think.

actually its a G72. far more powerful then my alienware overall. and it was only like $1200-$1300 or something.

Back